Busta'Ribs 11-Jul-19
SmokedTrout 11-Jul-19
loprofile 11-Jul-19
elkmtngear 11-Jul-19
lewis 11-Jul-19
LKH 11-Jul-19
RutnStrut 11-Jul-19
08-Jul-19
We build a new shed with 9 foot ceilings. I am looking for ideas on building a deer hoist. We currently don't have electricity, but eventually will. What manual hoist have you purchased and where? Looking for a heavy duty one, with 3 or 4 wheels, the easier the better. Thanks! BC

08-Jul-19
Boat winch until u get electric.

08-Jul-19
I made a manual system with a winch, wire rope, wire rope clips, and screw-on pulley's from Tractor Supply. I'll see if I can remember to post a picture of the setup tonight. Works great with no issues. I put a baby pool under it while its hanging and during skinning/butchering...no mess that way.

08-Jul-19
I second the boat winch. Two mounted pulleys to get it over to and down the wall and its a breeze

08-Jul-19
I mounted a boat winch on a rafter, extended the rope to a pulley up the rafter and then down to a single tree.

08-Jul-19
1/2 ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight, effortless.

08-Jul-19
Done it all. Nothing beats the boat winch. Mine is mounted to a wall post. Rope goes up to center peak and through a pulley, then straight down to the floor. I bought a really nice welded gambrel made from heavy steel round stock. Hook up the deer. Stand aside, and crank it up in a few seconds.

08-Jul-19
Block and tackle , 2 fold , up to 6 fold. Forrest

08-Jul-19
I've got one of those $30 gambrel hoists with a couple pulleys in it and it works real sweet. Heaviest carcass I've pulled on it so far was 218 lbs. A few quick pulls and everything is off the ground.

08-Jul-19
Block & Tackle with the rope connected to a winch is the way to go.

08-Jul-19
Boat winch, got two mounted. Easy up and down. They even come with a hook for the gambrel

08-Jul-19

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo

08-Jul-19
Mine is similar to Kevin Dill's. Cheap and works great.

08-Jul-19
If you go the hand winch route, be sure and get a brake winch that cranks down as well as up. It’s a lot safer.

08-Jul-19
Chain hoist!

08-Jul-19
I would get a ATV winch and a battery. Set it up where you can pick up lawnmowers,etc if needed.

08-Jul-19
A good ole chain hoist can be bought for about $25.

08-Jul-19
A boat winch is the call, a 1500 hoist will pull up any 200 lb whitetail. Find one used for 20 bucks.

11-Jul-19

Busta'Ribs's Link
I’ll be the wild card here. Picked up one of these “Hang Em High” Deer Hoist’s about 20 years ago at the Harrisburg Sportsman show for $19.99 and it’s been hanging in a tree in my yard ever since and I couldn’t begin to tell you how many deer I’ve hung from this thing. I’ve never oiled it or done anything to it except replaced the rope once (Squirrels chewed it) and it’s performed flawlessly. Best twenty bucks I’ve ever spent.

11-Jul-19
Chain hoist. Easy up, easy down. Electric ones are nice too.

11-Jul-19
tractor bucket with a chain

11-Jul-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Chain hoist with gambrel (I built a moveable crane in my workshop)...slick and easy!

11-Jul-19
X2 loprofile plus it’s so mobile Lewis

11-Jul-19
Use a block and tackle, then chain the deer up so I have enough strength to pull the hide off with my wheelie.

11-Jul-19
Nothing beats a good old block and tackle. I have used everything from boat winches to electric. I prefer my 60 year old block and tackle over my electric winch.

• Sitka Gear