Bake 09-Jul-19
COHOYTHUNTER 09-Jul-19
wyobullshooter 09-Jul-19
WV Mountaineer 09-Jul-19
Buglmin 09-Jul-19
JohnMC 09-Jul-19
caribou77 09-Jul-19
08-Jul-19
Like both of these pack's Alps pursuit X and Eberlestock X2 , anyone have anything good or bad to say about them . Will be used for September elk hunt and wisconsin whitetail season. Being able to pack meat not real important , i have 2 mules for that. Thinking Alps pack would be better for whitetail , since i spent more time hunting them than elk.

09-Jul-19
I have the X2 and have dragged it all over the world, hunting and vacations. It’s a great pack for a day hunter, but it’s not the best choice for meat hauling. When I picked up a EXO K3500, most of my other packs have been hanging on the wall. It compresses down to the size of the X2 and can handle anything that comes along.

09-Jul-19
The X2 gets a lot of praise but it was the worst thing I ever strapped on my back. I’m 5’10” and about 165 pounds. I can’t imagine anyone my height or taller using it comfortably. It’s too bad because I liked the layout and quality of construction. I hurt just thinking about that thing!

09-Jul-19
I bought a Kuiu Venture 2300 this year as a daily carry. I'll use it as a day pack hunting as well. I like the fit and construction of it. It'll carry 40lbs in it comfortably, but doesn't have a meat shelf, mind you.

I never understood why guys get concerned about how quiet a pack is when hunting whitetails. I live in the east and have killed approx. 250 deer in hardwood environments. I've never had a deer blow out on me because my pack was noisy. If I've got deer coming in, the last thing I should be doing is fooling with a backpack.

09-Jul-19
Not sure if you have looked at the Stone Glacier line but they make great packs. I run the Avail 2200 for a day pack, and shed hunting pack. They also have the Kiowa 3200 if you need a little more room. Both the Avail and Kiowa come with their own carrying straps and hip belts, but they can be removed and the bags can be attached to any of their external frame packs. I am very impressed with how the Avail carries weight as I've had 50+ lbs loaded in it.

09-Jul-19
Mystery Ranch Mule or Cabinet.

09-Jul-19
If you don't need to pack meat, I'd get a Sitka Tool box. You don't need much of a pack for a little bit to eat and some water.

I understand the attraction for wanting gear that has multiple uses. I've done the same myself for many years. But I'm coming to realize that the best fit for some hunts or styles of hunting, is not the best fit for all hunts or styles of hunting.

Trying to find gear that works for everything, usually just means you get gear that isn't great for everything, but just adequate.

My .02

09-Jul-19
exo 2000

09-Jul-19
I know it’s not one the OP asked about, but I’ll 2nd Stone Glacier. I’ll be using the Kiowa 3200 this year. If their packs are anywhere near the quality/comfort of their pack frames, I guarantee I won’t be disappointed.

09-Jul-19
I guess I'm weird but I use a framed pack for whitetail hunting here. Because I often pack them for several miles after killing them. Like Bake said, none of the framed options are great tree stand packs. But, they work well enough and save me 8-9 miles walking after I kill one. So, I use them. But if I didn't require a frame, I'd buy something that fit my tree stand hunting at home and, buy a different pack if need be for elk hunting. With no meat packing requirements, it doesn't take much to fit the bill.

09-Jul-19
I use the x2 a lot and really enjoy it. It's packed its share of meat and it's never had an issue. The adjustments on it allow you to get the pack where you need it. It handles everything I've put in it or on it and carried comfortable. The only down thing is, the pack is heavy empty, but it's made strong and I've yet to break a strap, zipper or harness. Plus, the guts at Eberlestock are only a call away to help you with issues or questions.

09-Jul-19
Take a look at the badlands 2200.

09-Jul-19
If I had to choose 1 for both, I think the Mystery Ranch pop up 28 would be great. Though i hope they come out with something slightly bigger. Ive owned a stone glacier x curve and its handled weight probably better than anything I've owned. Used it treestand hunting for moose last year. I works, it is a little noisy. Ive tried on a mystery ranch mule and actually loved it. Loved the concept as well. Material was more quiet than the stone glacier. I have owned a Eberlestock X2, blue widow and mainframe. The X2 was loud. The blue widow was great but really didnt handle weight that well. Still own the mainframe. Love that pack, but for treestand hunting it would be no good. honestly Id buy 2 packs. Treestand packs need to be quiet and have plenty of easy access pockets. To me anyway. And I think I will invest in a sitka bucket this fall. Never hunted elk, but have moose and caribou. Those packs need to handle weight. UNLESS you plan on making a trip out with nothing and grabbing a freighter frame and going back in. Then ANY pack will work to start. Im sure I have helped with nothing. lol Get what you can afford and like.

10-Jul-19
I use a mystery ranch 3 day assault pack as a day pack....but given the choices above I would not hesitate to go with the Eberlestock.....very good stuff.

• Sitka Gear