TxHuntr 12-Jul-19
longspeak74 13-Jul-19
sdkhunter 16-Jul-19
Bucbuster 16-Jul-19
4blade 17-Jul-19
Jaquomo 17-Jul-19
longspeak74 20-Jul-19
09-Jul-19
Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on if a back up bow is really necessary. Being that my hunt is essentially 2 short months away, I hadn't planned on setting another bow up. I had planned to just take my "repair" kit along.

09-Jul-19
I work 200+ days in a row to bowhunt 2-3 weeks. A few years ago I had a bow issue on Halloween. For me a back up bow - ready to hunt - is mandatory. I shoot it regularly too.

09-Jul-19
Always a back up, either a T/D recurve but lately a longbow that will come together in several minutes. The same when bird hunting, over the years something has gone wrong with either my weapon or a buddy and would rather have it than be with out it, just like toilet paper.

09-Jul-19
Always

09-Jul-19
It depends on the hunt. Bush flight Alaska or horse pack in Montana, no. Drive up Canadian black bear camp or drive to Iowa deer hunt, yes.

09-Jul-19
A repair kit is nice until you realize you cannot repair the problem. Unless it's some kind of pack in trip thing I would ALWAYS have an insurance policy in the truck.

09-Jul-19
i take a backup bow and a field repair kit when i travel.

09-Jul-19
Had a bow limb detonate on me as I was drawing back on a mule deer buck a few years ago. If I didnt have a backup my hunt would have obviously been over. A backup is important

09-Jul-19
It’s only necessary when you need it. Personally, I wouldn’t be without one.

09-Jul-19
I always have two bows set up for hunting seasons, sometimes three. I cant see not having one ready to go if something comes up.

09-Jul-19
Yes. If you can afford it or have an extra bow. I always have one. I always plan for worst case scenario. For instance, if a string on your primary bow frays really bad or breaks, you could be screwed a set back for days from hunting until repaired. My back up is set up identical to my primary, turned and sighted to the same arrows, etc

09-Jul-19
Always, I work too hard to plan long hunting trips to take a chance. It sits in the truck, covered in an extra sleeping bag so it can't get too hot. I also carry older equipment and leave it in the truck for spares such as: water purifier, tent, boots, and clothes.

09-Jul-19
Looks like I'll be searching for a back up!

09-Jul-19
I think it’s not a bad thing to have. I’ve never needed one yet. But when the time arises it will be good to have

09-Jul-19
I always have a back up plan (bow). The rut is too short to wait around for a repair. Accidents can happen, and they have.

09-Jul-19
Don't leave home without it! If you don't need your spare bow, great...but if you do...it will save your hunt or a lot of wasted "hunting time" trying to repair your primary bow in order to continue hunting. Cheap insurance in my opinion...so why not bring a spare along. Good luck, Kevin

09-Jul-19
You should have a back up bow even if you don't always take it with you. Keep your old bow (if you like it) when you buy a new one. If you have a bow now that you just love, then by another set up exactly the same way.

I have a thirteen year old Drenalin that I bought new, killed a ton of animals with and is the one bow I'll never sell. I had to use it this spring again. It's a very forgiving bow, so easy to pick up and shoot at a moments notice.

09-Jul-19
never

09-Jul-19
I guess I’m in the minority here. I hunt all over the world and rarely if ever take a back up. I may regret it some day, but have not yet. I took 2 on my last trip out of necessity and I cussed them the whole time traveling! Truck travel is kinda different, but also different pitfalls. Theft, heat, etc.

I take good care of my stuff, take spare parts and tools. I have 3 spares at home in the hunting office, but don’t travel with them. If it’s an instate whitetail hunt I see little use, I’ll just drive home and get one if needed.

—Jim

09-Jul-19
next month antelope hunt in Wyoming take both a repair kit and extra bow

09-Jul-19
I haven't gone on very many hunting "trips", but have never taken more than one bow, just a repair kit, and seldom have needed that. Some guys wear a belt with their suspenders, and that's OK too.

09-Jul-19
If you do take one make sure to take care of it if locked in a truck in the midday heat of an early season hunt your likely to be down 2 bows instead of just one if something happens to the primary bow.

09-Jul-19
If I do take a spare, wouldn't I be safe to keep it in the case in the locked truck? The topper and tailgate lock.

09-Jul-19
Always I go out west for a month or more 2 to 3 states, I'v seen 2 bows blowup and no backup pain in the ass trying to find a bow to buy. one guy from Texas came to my camp in New Mex. on a guided hunt and his hoyt had blowup and wanted to but my bow!! I have a double bow case no big deal.

09-Jul-19
I've needed a backup bow twice in 49 seasons and the first time I did not have one. I typically take one these days, leaving it in the truck or at the basecamp.

09-Jul-19
Being that I had a spare rest and sight at home anyway, I've got a back up coming my way shortly and will get it set up. Cost effective insurance.

09-Jul-19
longspeak you may be safe you may not Iv seen more than one compound blowup in the case locked in the truck due to the heat.

09-Jul-19
There really isn't a good reason not to have one. I have a backup and a backup to the backup. Really good 5-10 year old bows are out there for a song and make amazing backup bows. I just sold a 2010 Elite GT500 that I could easily have hunted with for the next ten years.

09-Jul-19
Parts kit extra strings and cables plus portable bow press. Never saw a need to bring an extra bow.

09-Jul-19
Yes, kept two of my old bows set up the same as my main one.

09-Jul-19
I crawled in a ground blind in South Africa a few years ago. It was very hot and I was all sweaty. I decided to pull my bow, with fingers, to check clearance in the blind. At full draw, the string slipped off of my sweaty fingers. The string jumped off a wheel. Twenty minutes later I had my back up bow in the blind. Two hours later, I arrowed a Cape buffalo. Stupid on my part to draw with no arrow on the string. I alway take a back up bow, except on local one day hunts.

09-Jul-19
Take down recurve as a spare.

Hunted elk a few years back. One guy at camp had bow issues, drove from Missouri Breaks area to the other side of Helena to get the parts, repair for his bow.

10-Jul-19
I went on a turkey hunt in Nebraska and hunted out of a wooden blind. I shot my first turkey,and when I did so, I managed to whack the upper cam of my bow against the side of the blind. When I went out for my second and shot at it, the bow exploded because the upper cam was bent. I didn't take an extra bow so I never got my second turkey.

TAKE A SECOND BOW!!! TMBB

10-Jul-19
Yes.

Let’s put it this way.

Your on a hunt, you drop your bow, bend the cam or cut your strings/cables... what’s your options?

10-Jul-19
I always have a back up bow, normally a T/D recurve. I have taken a compound on a few hunts as well. A PSE Stinger is a great little bow as a back up and can be had set up for around 350 bucks. It don't hurt til ya need it. Shawn

10-Jul-19
12yards, The elite GT500 is a great bow it's been by backup for the last 4 years.

10-Jul-19
Just how uneasy are you? I probably take to much for granted, but only once did I haul a back-up bow along and never used it. I have hunted the back side of Alaska, northern Quebec and several places in between with no problems.

11-Jul-19
I carry a back up on every hunt out of state. I have 2 Bowtech BTX28 completely set up. When I went to Africa my partner dry fired his bow one morning and I had the only extra bow in camp, saved his hunt.

11-Jul-19
"Your on a hunt, you drop your bow, bend the cam or cut your strings/cables... what’s your options?"

The nearest pawn shop, out the door with a $100 bow, and back hunting in a few hours.

11-Jul-19
I bring everything I need to fix my bow.......unless a limb breaks I'm bullet proof. However.....if I had a backup bow.....and I had room (mostly I do not) why not take one? I will say that after 25 years of elk hunting....usually 4-5 people in the group...we have never had a bow fail. Typically we don't even need an adjustment.

11-Jul-19
I take an extra bow. In some remote places, the cost to fly out and get a bow repaired or replaced and then fly back in is a couple grand. Never mind the days lost.

12-Jul-19
New back up bow arrived today through USPS and looking forward to setting it up. Hell, it might move into the #1 spot instead of a back up!

12-Jul-19
I hear that Bryan. Instead of buying a new one and using my 4 year ChillR as a backup i bought a completely rigged out used Z7 Extreme on ebay. I shot it last week and it grouped better right out of the box than the one i been hunting with.

13-Jul-19
2018 Prime Centergy. Got a great deal on it!

16-Jul-19
I always bring a backup bow when heading out of state... figure it’s worth having an old bow around to use as a backup...

16-Jul-19
Have a backup bow but never have brought it for out of town hunts. Been lucky so far. Bring an extra string and nock plus tools. Not much to go wrong on my trusty recurve. However, when I finally pull the trigger on an Arizona elk hunt I will have (2) bows with me. I may rethink bringing a back up to Kansas as well.

17-Jul-19
I always have 2 bows on hand and last year a week before the season the main bow delaminated, yes it was a Bowtech. Hunted with the backup and was successful. One of my buddies cousins had a Hoyt blow up during the season last yr with no back up bow. A trip down the mtn and a grand later he had a new bow. These days I have 2 of the same bow, they shoot the same all the way around.

17-Jul-19
I always have one in camp except on hunts within an hour of home. Especially on fly-in trips. Haven't ever needed it, but the peace of mind is worth the hassle to me.

Same with medical evacuation insurance. Never needed to use it, hope I never do. But the peace of mind is worth it.

20-Jul-19

longspeak74's embedded Photo
longspeak74's embedded Photo
Back up is ready to go! Yellows are FP and the green is BH.

• Sitka Gear