sitO 09-Jul-19
Shawn 10-Jul-19
Ron Niziolek 10-Jul-19
MichaelArnette 10-Jul-19
Jaquomo 10-Jul-19
sir misalots 10-Jul-19
Cazador 10-Jul-19
09-Jul-19
What has been your experience? I’ve used Buck decoys a couple times for whitetial in eastern Oklahoma...have had zero luck with rattling or decoys but I’m going to be focused on mule deer in western Kansas and whitetail in western Oklahoma...wondering what your success failures have been and especially what decoys you would recommend. Going to give it a good go this year.

Anyone used a bedded doe decoy?

Also for mule deer how about bow mounted 2D decoys?

Also I’ll be using a recurve for 25 yard and in as always so mention your yardage’s for me if you would.

Excited to hear what you guys have to say

09-Jul-19
I have had good luck with a whitetail buck decoy in Northern OK (Garfield County), I think timing the most important thing. No point of using in early late part of season but 2nd week of November they respond well to it. I like it on edges of fields where they will see it from couple hundred yards,

09-Jul-19
John MC what kind of decoy did you use?

09-Jul-19
I whitetail hunt NW Kansas and there are some huge mulies in spots I hunt. I have had excellent luck decoying whitetails with a whitetail buck decoy. I have had mulies come to my rattling but when they see the decoy they are not interested at all. It usually spooks them!! Shawn

09-Jul-19
Shawn What kind of decoy did you use?

09-Jul-19
primos scar face I think it is.

09-Jul-19
Have had good luck using a Boss buck decoy in Manitoba. Early season all the way through the rut set up as a buck. Had bad luck with 2D decoys and them circling. Used a bow mounted decoy once for mulies. Helped keep them at ease in the 90 yard range, but didn't use it to get close.

09-Jul-19
I've been using the Flambeau boss buck on whitetails for about 5 years works great.

09-Jul-19
I've used Montana decoys successfully on mulies for over 20 years. Before they made a muley doe I doctored their whitetail doe decoys to be muleys. Also have used a Heads Up, an Elk Mountain Muley slip, and of course the doe hat. All have killed bucks. Decoying and calling together work very well. I've walked right up to them behind a Heads Up doe before, to within 20 yards while they fed and watched me.

09-Jul-19
I've had much better success with the Boss buck over the Scar buck. Boss buck is much more realistic looking. But also a bit more of a pain to carry. If you can stash the boss buck back where you hunt it'll be much easier. Just lay it under some brush. Also very important....spray it down after you set it up. I only use it late Oct through Nov

09-Jul-19
The best plains muley killer I know swears by the heads up.

09-Jul-19
I hunt KS with a decoy and have shot many of my bucks while using it. It's by far my favorite and most successful way of hunting deer.

09-Jul-19
Yep, Palmquist is a murderer with the Heads Up.

09-Jul-19
Heads up decoys work excellent

09-Jul-19
Palmquist has been "murderin" more Nati Lights and shots of Old Grand-Dad than the rest of you too!

The Boss works, the HUD works, hell a German Shepard in a costume designed by Lou will do just fine I reckon? You know deer as well as anyone Mike, It ain't hard...get after'm

10-Jul-19
Primos Scarface and and old Delta bedded doe decoy. I use a couple white chicken feather on the ears and tail to give some movement. Like I said the mulies show no interest in fighting but I have had to climb down a bunch of times to reset my decoy after a whitetail has run it over. Shawn

10-Jul-19
Heads Up Decoy. I've used them (with Palmquist) and will be using them on a CO plains hunt this November.

10-Jul-19
Thanks guys, I’m gonna give it a good go. Any other advice would be appreciated

10-Jul-19
What time of year will you be hunting muleys? That makes a big difference in what/ how you should decoy them.

10-Jul-19
Ill be decoying this year for whitetail I hear 1 antler side missing helps. Angle decoy so buck approaches side missing antler I think the last week of Oct or 1st week of November is good for this area

10-Jul-19
No need to pull a horn off the side of the decoy. Just make sure you are as down wind from it as you can possibly be. I don’t even spray mine down, I rub some dirt on it just before putting it up and I’m not sure that is necessary. If you’re lucky the buck will walk right to it, if you get one of those swing wide down wind type bucks, having it straight up wind will keep your position hidden.

I try to make it so the decoy can be seen with the largest profile possible. Most times that will be quartering or completely broadside from the way I think the approach willl come from. It’s amazing how you think a deer “should see the decoy” but don’t.

• Sitka Gear