kscowboy 10-Jul-19
Pete In Fairbanks 10-Jul-19
Gobbler 10-Jul-19
Lone Bugle 10-Jul-19
Franklin 10-Jul-19
MTNRCHR 11-Jul-19
MTNRCHR 11-Jul-19
09-Jul-19
Thinking of taking the plunge on a brown bear hunt in Alaska next spring. Only opening is last 2 weeks of May. It would be a coastal hunt. For people that live there or have hunted during that time frame what are your thoughts on fur condition during those 2 weeks ?

Thanks in advance

09-Jul-19
I arrowed a brownie June 2 last year. This was interior. Fur was marginal. It was not rubbed, just short hair.

09-Jul-19
Truth be told.....the best furred bears I have seen as a tanner have been coming out of Russia. I believe the hunts are cheaper and a possible 2nd bear if you have the coin to put in the right hands.

If you can stomach the 1 bladed helicopter ride....lol

10-Jul-19
But I believe bowhunting Russia is a no go?

10-Jul-19
A one bladed helicopter sounds like a pretty unbalanced rotor and a really rough chopper ride. I'd stick to a boat trip to Kamchatka to fish instead. They have brownies don't they? Huntable ones maybe?

10-Jul-19
They have browns but a different species than what we have in the States. The price is quite a bit cheaper than here in the States but that bear wouldn't count toward the 29 if you're into that kind of thing.

10-Jul-19
June 4. Mine was “Buffalo hide”. Marginal sums it up, outside Talkeetna.

10-Jul-19
We were on Kodiak mid-April-end of April this year. There were a lot of rubbed bears this year. That being said, bears are coming out of hibernation throughout season, so you may see a bunch of rubbed bears and then out of nowhere see one that is pristine. Some years, it's all rubbed bears, other years, they are almost all perfect. It's a roll of the dice.

10-Jul-19
You do not mention where on "the coast" you would be. The coast in SE AK has very different conditions that coastal areas further north. (Think Florida coast vs coast of Maine!)

Also, as others have mentioned, weather- (and thus hide-) condition varies from year to year.

Pete

10-Jul-19
Coast across from Admiralty Island

10-Jul-19

Lone Bugle's embedded Photo
Lone Bugle's embedded Photo
The Russian bears that live near some of the nuclear sites are really interesting....

10-Jul-19
Elkmo…….we call those "poodle bears"....lol

To me a Brown bear is a great accomplishment and a trophy regardless of fur quality. I would display it in all it`s granjour.

11-Jul-19
Early spring bears are supposed to have the best fur. Because of the mild winter in recent years they have been coming out late winter, rubbing, then going back to bed. Im finding better hair on fall bears (Oct-Nov). Valdez / Cordova area.

11-Jul-19

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
Both fall bears...

• Sitka Gear