cnelk 15-Jul-19
Treeline 15-Jul-19
iceman 01-Aug-19
iceman 05-Aug-19
cnelk 05-Aug-19
10-Jul-19

TxHuntr's embedded Photo
TxHuntr's embedded Photo
New changes, archery season shortened 1 day. Starts Sept 2nd annually.

Second and third rifle seasons shortened from 9 days to 7.

Possibly fewer either sex tags .

10-Jul-19
What about muzzleloader dates? That seemed to b a hot topic

10-Jul-19
It’s actually 2020-2024 season structure

10-Jul-19
Going to be tough on deer with the later rifle dates

10-Jul-19
Muzzleloader season shall be the following dates: • 2020- 09/12- 09/20 • 2021- 09/11- 09/19 • 2022- 09/10- 09/18 • 2023- 09/09- 09/17 • 2024- 09/14- 09/22 • 2025- 09/13- 09/21 • 2026- 09/12- 09/20

10-Jul-19

JSW's Link
I've copied the link that gives the entire proposal. Archery deer and elk will open on September 2 and close on September 30, every year. ML will open on the second Saturday of September and run for 9 days. That didn't change at all. I'm very disappointed that we didn't get an earlier start date for deer.

10-Jul-19

TxHuntr's embedded Photo
TxHuntr's embedded Photo
cnelk i saw that dates were wrong too but i took it straight from their website

10-Jul-19
Bummer on the early deer opener. That changes the game big time !! Hunt

10-Jul-19
Glad they finally cut the gun hunting days! Crazy to have more gun time than bow time

10-Jul-19
The September archery deer opener sucks! Should have burned those preference points this year. Honestly never thought that would fly.

10-Jul-19
August 25th every year for archer deer would be nice!

10-Jul-19

10-Jul-19
Aug 15th for archery deer would be nice! The way around it is to hunt Utah/NV for archery deer, then in CO go for a 3rd or 4th season tag to hunt mule deer in the rut.

10-Jul-19
What is the theory behind the "breaks"? Doesn`t that just extend the duration of the season?

Not bashing....just trying to understand what the position is.

10-Jul-19
Was really hoping for the archery deer season to start the same day as pronghorn west of the interstate. This would help some with crowding. Now it's going to be even later than before. Hope they listen to the CBA.

I'm with you, Pav. Wish I would have burned those points earlier, now.

10-Jul-19
The breaks allow the animals to move back to the high pressure areas. During the hunting seasons the hunting pressure tends to push the game into private/protected areas and are hard to access. The breaks are to theoretically allow them to move back to more accessible hunt areas, thus increasing the success rate for hunters.

10-Jul-19
Thanks ^^^^^.

10-Jul-19
Here is what is weird to me in being at the meetings and listening to everyone.

What people say is we are putting to much pressure on the elk, we hunt them to long, we need to give them a break, we need more elk, and to grow the herd. No one believes CPW when they say we have 287,000 elk.

But then the reality pf what they propose may be if they adopt shorter seasons, rifle hunters get fewer days afield, but they kill more elk because they all returned to areas with higher vulnerabilty.

The whole conversation is really odd to me.

10-Jul-19
We thought crowding was bad now I can't wait to see this cluster. Also they aren't doing any favors with second season starting on a Wednesday and losing a second weekend, especially for youth

10-Jul-19
We won't have to worry about when archery deer opens. With 3rd season being in the middle of the rut there won't be anything left to hunt.

10-Jul-19
Yeah those third and fourth season dates are ridiculous. I guess Colorado wants to join the rest of the western states in quality.

10-Jul-19
Could help the animals depending on weather. I think storms kill more animals than anything when the animals start to migrate ahead of snow.

10-Jul-19
I ain't ever seen an elk on private land that even thought about leaving the paradise of good feed and no pressure for the overgrazed and high pressure public lands in anytime span less than a couple weeks, not days.

10-Jul-19
I was thinking the same thing Dink. 5 days between two seasons means the animals will be on the same side of the fence where they know they won't get shot.

11-Jul-19
Man the CPW does not get it. A couple of things...

The breaks between were due to a horrible survey question. The Question stated should be try to have longer breaks between seasons. The answer for a majority of hunters was yes. When you ask CPW why longer breaks, they say because hunters supported in the survey.

However the question did not ask would you favor longer breaks if it meant shorter seasons and hunting deer significantly later into the season.

Archery Elk Season should be Sept. 1. Only reason it is not is because that is when bear season starts. WTH? Why does that matter?

Archery Deer in this state west of I25 is hard enough with the current dates, moving it back will make it even worse.

I am really pissed as hunters of this state agreed to support the Future Generations tag price increase under the promise of a focus of recruitment and retention. As mentioned cutting a weekend will kill youth recruitment.

My family is dedicated to hunting, but I also expect my kids to be in school and to fulfill their commitments. Under the current 2 weekend rifle seasons, We can sneak in 5 days of hunting by taking a monday off and hunting the weekends.

Monday is a huge day for us and many others we know. Monday is never a test day, monday is never a game day, they never schedule dances on monday, band concerts, etc. With the new schedule my kids will be forced to choose hunting or school. I hate the issue but hunting will not likely get them scholarships etc.

If you think animals will move in a couple days you are a fool. The ranching for wildlife in the NW will hold elk for 2-3 months after the rifle seasons ended with the ranches still hunting.

11-Jul-19
Hey Coelker the 2nd of Sept. Is on a Wednesday in 2020

11-Jul-19
The 2nd rifle is 10/21-10/27 which is Wednesday-Tuesday

11-Jul-19
I think he knows that. If adopted, season will always start on sept 2 which can be any day of the week depending on which year.

1st and 3rd season will always start on a Saturday and 2nd and 4th will always start on a Wednesday.

There will also be less of a break between archery and first rifle every year

11-Jul-19
Dang it. I always do double post when on my phone!

11-Jul-19
I don’t like the archery deer getting moved back.

And the rifles seasons being pushed back means more mature bucks will get killed. Our deer quality is gonna go Down

They already hammer the deer enough with the current dates

12-Jul-19
Yeah I don’t like the deer changes. I agree, bigger box will be killed with rifles and more of them, also several days even later will be tough for Archery, especially trying to get close with a stickbow

15-Jul-19
Later archery dates suck for deer, but that last week for elk is gonna be a riot.

Later rifle dates are gonna be ridiculous in 2021, and then there'll be a noticeable decline in big deer after the army gets after them the last week of November.

15-Jul-19
Well here is a thought to chew on concerning, bigger bucks and maybe more, will be killed" in the later rifle seasons.

The CPW issued some information concerning the spread of CWD within the mule and WT deer herds and that increased spread seems to coincide with the wandering of mature bucks that may have CWD, to locate does.

I do not know if this "information" may be a/one reason to develop a later rifle deer season to harvest more mature bucks and trying to slow down the CWD spread, but something to ponder and question.

What do you science guys think? my best, Paul

15-Jul-19
After a quick review of the 2019 regulations, there are 29 GMUs that already have a rifle buck season. Some are Sept 7-15, some are Sept 30 - Oct 8.

These arent new seasons, as they have been in place for several years.

15-Jul-19
Paul,

Does will get bred. If not on the first estrous cycle, they will come in again after about a month. That will repeat for up to 4 months.

Fewer bucks leads to later season breeding. Later breeding is much more stressful for the bucks and and the fawns can be born too late to survive their first winter. Vicious cycle that, over a few years, will result in much lower deer herd numbers.

If a fork horn is the only buck that’s left, he will keep moving from doe group to doe group to get them all bred. If he contracts CWD from one of the does in one bunch of does, he will then potentially spread it to all the subsequent doe groups he comes in contact with.

Killing off more bucks will cause the remaining few bucks to travel farther to find and breed does, potentially spreading CWD even more due to increased interaction with different doe groups that may be infectious.

CPw has this one wrong and it will be a very, very long time before the deer herd recovers. If ever.

01-Aug-19
May be a stupid question but have these dates been approved yet? I couldn't find where they were.

05-Aug-19
Looks like this is a done deal. Opening day next year on a Wednesday. Pretty stupid.

05-Aug-19
In many places in Wyoming it starts on Sept 1.

That’s a Tuesday next year.

• Sitka Gear