RIT 10-Jul-19
lewis 11-Jul-19
sticksender 11-Jul-19
Shortstop 11-Jul-19
Catscratch 11-Jul-19
Hancock West 11-Jul-19
lewis 11-Jul-19
10-Jul-19
Just sprayed 2 food plots over come with grass and weeds thinking about clover alfalfa and some brassicas about 4 acres total.My main thoughts are should I disk and plant or wait until the round up does its thing spread seed and mow which I have never done.thanks all Lewis

10-Jul-19
Give the round up a week to 10 days then disk. Its still pretty early so you could let it set after disking so weed seeds could germinate , then disk again.

10-Jul-19
My personnel preference is not to disc. How tall were the weeds and grass?

I’d plant the clover and alfalfa separate from the brassicas and use a cover crop of winter rye. WR will suppress weeds in the Spring when the clover an alfalfa start to put on growth. You can clip the WR just above the clover a few times in the Spring before it terminates itself around June.

I’d plant the brassicas on their own. You can add clover when you plant them if you like. Crimson, frosty Berseem, and medium red germinate fast and make a good early season plot.

11-Jul-19
I was hoping I could broadcast over the dead weeds then mow the weeds never have done it that way I’ve always disked then planted but with knee surgery coming up this method might save some tractor work if it works Lewis

11-Jul-19
The best time to plant clover or alfalfa would've been back in March or April, not now in early July. At this late date, if you want a plot that's useful for this hunting season, you might want to wait until late Aug or Sept and then plant a fall plot of rye/wheat/oats or brassicas. That will give you more time for weed control and soil prep. Then next March if you still want to plant your perennial legumes, you can till the remnants of those fall plots and start fresh. Good luck!

11-Jul-19
Roundup has done its job by now. You just wont notice for a week or so. I'd mow short, then find a grain drill to see with. Discing just prepares a new seed bed.....for weeds.

11-Jul-19
I pretty mimic what RIT says: Don't disc, spray weeds before they make seed, plant clovers and alfalfa in the fall with a nurse crop, keep brassica's on their own plot.

I always get weedy clover plots when I don't plant in the fall.

Basically: let it grow until a couple of weeks before planting, spray, broadcast seed, mow. It's super easy, been doing it for decades and it works well.

11-Jul-19

Hancock West's embedded Photo
Hancock West's embedded Photo
Definitely spray it. We tried just what you are talking about it and by June the weeds took over. The point of spraying twice is to kill anything that germinates after your first tilling & hopefully on your surface till you won't till up as many weed seeds. Yes its close to a 1.5month long process but it works great as long as you get a August rain. Step 1 starts July 1st so that you'll be planted by Aug 10th at the latest. -July 1st -Mow -Wait 2days -Spray -Wait a week -Disk -Wait 2weeks for possible germination of weeds -Spray again -Wait 2weeks -Aug 7-10th - Do a light surface till & then broadcast seed -Drag surface with a lightly weighted chain link fence or something similar.

11-Jul-19
Thanks all we always do best planting our clover in the fall with wheat,oats or rye but that’s just us going to give this approach on broadcasting over the sprayed weeds a try also have some soybeans that I always broadcast over you never know if you don’t go Lewis

• Sitka Gear