APauls 11-Jul-19
Genesis 11-Jul-19
Shawn 11-Jul-19
Aspen Ghost 12-Jul-19
Grey Ghost 12-Jul-19
wildwilderness 12-Jul-19
Muskrat 12-Jul-19
10-Jul-19
So I lease land with close friends and have for probably 15 plus years on the same farm same 220 acres. Well I went and put cameras out today and noticed the owner of the farm hired someone to log trees off no big deal until I noticed they dropped one on my treestand and ladder sticks which now both are wrecked. Am I out of luck or would you ask the logger to pay for this?

10-Jul-19
You are out of luck. Nothing good will come of making a big deal of it. Just learn for next time and try to figure when and where they will log.

10-Jul-19
You could ask for replacement and get cross wise with the land owner, and lose the lease. I’d buy a new stand and move on.

10-Jul-19
As stated above, just move on. Make a joke out of it the next time you see the logger or landowner. Not worth even bringing it up.

10-Jul-19
Great advice above!!

11-Jul-19
Had the exact same thing happen to me.....I walked by a pile of logs and saw a log with my screw in steps in it....lol. I didn`t say a thing because who knows what`s going to happen when they process that log. Somebody will be cussing.

11-Jul-19
Why the Hell would someone chop down a tree with a stand in it without pulling it or at least the sticks?

11-Jul-19
Idyllwildarcher they dropped a tree onto my stand didn't cut the tree down with the stand in it.

11-Jul-19
I'm always astounded to hear when a logger cuts a tree with a stand in it. That tree is very likely to have nails, screws, or something steel in it. The logger really isn't at risk but the mill that he sells it to will be at risk. The saws in the mills will usually go through steel nails, but not every time. Sometimes the saw blade's teeth break off, or other steel goes flying. Either way it is extremely dangerous for mill workers and costly to have to switch out blades. It is reckless for a logger to knowingly cut a tree with a stand in it.

When hanging POSTED signs it is recommended that aluminum nails are used in trees because they aren't dangerous.

11-Jul-19
Oops! I misread the original post. The logger accidently dropped a tree onto the tree with your tree stand. Even with big equipment trees don't always fall where you want them. The loggers just made a mistake. No big deal. You'd better not complain to either the landowner or the logger because the hunter is easily removed from the "problem".

11-Jul-19
The biggest farmer in my area and close personal friend does not allow any hunting anymore.

Due to this exact reason.

He just makes it very simple and tells everybody no. No more squabbles over wounded deer or stolen items. No more dealing with arguing hunters.

Listen to the advise given above.

11-Jul-19
I am always amazed and ever so grateful that people let me on their land to pursue my passion. I try and never do anything that could in any way be perceived as a negative interaction with a landowner. When they think about me the only thoughts I want them to have is of me being super thankful and dropping off gifts.

11-Jul-19
You are not out of luck,you are very lucky to have the lease,so move on like nothing happened.

11-Jul-19
I have hunted the same 135 acres in a bow only area for the last 27 years. No lease just farmer and I get along. The power company has come in and cleared trees at least 3 times over the years and notifies the farmer, he tells them watch for my stands. I have had them go above and beyond in saving my stands. When done they leave the steps or sticks, my stand and the chain or straps sitting on the cut off stump. Over the years they have done about 12 trees I had stands in. I say no harm in asking the logger to watch for stands next time and to at least let you know so you can remove before they cut. Shawn

12-Jul-19
This isn't a case of a nice landowner letting you hunt on his place for free. This is a lease. It's a business deal. Nothing more and nothing less. If your contract allowed for you to hang stands and leave them, then of course you should contact the logger and file a claim. He damaged your property. If you weren't in compliance with the contract then let it go.

12-Jul-19
I never felt leaving my stands hung in the off-season was a particularly wise or safe move for this and several other reasons.

I'm in the "just move on and learn from it" camp.

Matt

12-Jul-19
If you treat it like a business deal it can readily backfire as mentioned by most everyone else. If you demand money for your stand they landowner can very easily decide your lease money is not worth the hassle. Human nature is to not loose money they already have- thus no one will want to pay you for it. If you are really that hard up its a better tactic to deduct the money for the damages from the amount you will pay for the next lease. That way no one is giving you money they already have. Definitely not recommended though if you want to keep the lease.

12-Jul-19
We have leased the same 1400 acres for over 30 years and recognized early on that we can be easily replaced. The best we have been able to do is get notice when logging is to occur. We have had many permanent stands ruined by logging trucks sideswiping them, and a few portable stands ruined when the tree they were in was dropped. But over the years we have had many an occasion where a tree with a stand and several trees around it have been avoided by the loggers. Talking directly with the loggers IN A VERY FRIENDLY WAY can typically gain you a lot of consideration as to protecting your stands......if you know when they are coming. Otherwise take your lumps and be happy you still have your lease. As stated above, you are the easiest of the three parties involved to replace.

• Sitka Gear