SteveB 25-Jul-19
Mule Power 26-Jul-19
Trial153 26-Jul-19
APauls 26-Jul-19
JH 26-Jul-19
Pop-r 27-Jul-19
JH 27-Jul-19
11-Jul-19
What is the difference between B bonus pts and permit bonus points. I forgot to buy points in Montana last year and, I'm not sure if I should just get the permit bonus points or if I need to get the B bonus pts as well. I will be getting pts for deer, elk and sheep. Thanks in advance.

11-Jul-19
B tags are for doe/fawn or cow/calf

11-Jul-19
thank you

11-Jul-19
A better question is what’s the difference between bonus points and preference points. Montana system sucks. I’ll take the Wyoming plan any day.

11-Jul-19
I bought the bonus pts. So you also need to get preference pts. as well?

11-Jul-19
it use to be apply! apply! apply! now its buy! buy! buy!

11-Jul-19
Preference point as for the general license a bonus point is for a special permit for deer and elk. Hunt

11-Jul-19
Preference points give you preference over people with less points. He who has been in the game longer gets the tag. Bonus points allow you to keep buying them for life while anyone with an application in can draw the license you’ve been dreaming of.

11-Jul-19
Hunt has it dead right I have had every tag in Montana except Bison

11-Jul-19
Bonus points are to help you get limited entries after you draw a tag. These can be bought every year and build up.

Preference points don’t build; they expire every year. The preference point only needs purchased the year you intend to hunt. It is to draw the general combo tag.

If this doesn’t make sense, call MT fish and game. They can talk you through it.

11-Jul-19
I wasn’t aware that preference points expire.

11-Jul-19
Mule, I’m just relaying what Xander with MT fish and game told me around 2 pm today. I’m new to their points game. So, I made the call.

11-Jul-19
Preference points don't expire until you draw a general tag. It's an easy system to understand. He misled you.

11-Jul-19
I thought I was buying pref points except for elk and my profile showed 2 elk bonus and 2 antelope pref anf 1 deer pref, Now when I check they are all bonus and no pref did they change something ?

11-Jul-19
I drew a general deer tag and an archery antelope tag last year and so far a general deer this year but still showed I had the pref points but I just checked and now I have 2 elk 1 deer and 2 antelope base bonus points man talk about confusing !!

11-Jul-19
They have their head up their ass ALOT!

11-Jul-19
Pop-r,

Xander told me the preference point expires every year. He said unless I planned on hunting now that I shouldn’t buy the preference point.

I’m gonna call them back tomorrow.

12-Jul-19
That is NOT true. Call direct at 406-444-2950.

12-Jul-19
Let me throw a little more confusion on the fire. Even if you have one or two preference points does not guarantee you a general tag over a guy with no preference points. Sounds like I have fallen and bumped my head correct. Nope the fwp give 25% of the general tags to applicants with no preference points. Yup a guy with no points can land a gen tag and a guy with preference points could not draw. Love hunting Montana but boy does there system horrible.

16-Jul-19
Wyoming does basically the same Scrappy.

16-Jul-19
Montana has the most overly complicated regulations of any state. They really need to streamline their regulations

16-Jul-19
Got this in the inbox yesterday.....

How to purchase Montana bonus points and preference points

Don't miss out on a chance to grab Montana bonus and preference points!

If you didn't apply for certain species in the main draw, or are new to hunting, you can purchase bonus points and nonresident preference points for Montana from July 1 through September 30. Purchasing these points will help you in the following years' draw.

This point only period does not allow you to gain more than one point per year as you cannot apply for a species and then purchase points for that same species in the same year. Hunters can only purchase bonus points for species which they have not yet applied for, and also a nonresident preference point if you didn't apply earlier in the year. For instance, if you did not apply for a bighorn sheep license, you can purchase a bighorn sheep bonus point. Any accumulated bonus points will not expire, but preference points are lost after two years of not applying for a nonresident Combination License.

Nonresidents who did not apply for a combination license during the main draw (deer, elk or the big game combo), may purchase a preference point to be used in next year’s combination drawing.

You now have two different bonus point options for buck antelope and going forward, there will be two different draws for antelope in Montana. You can now get bonus points for the 900-20 archery-only hunt, and the normal antelope bonus point. Technically there are three options, as you can still pick up an antelope B bonus point.

For the 2020 draw, you can only apply for one permit or the other, just like before (A refresher: 900-20 must still needs to be your first and only choice if making this selection during the draw) You can buy a point for both providing you did not apply for either You can draw one permit in a year and purchase a point for the other during the same year

The difference between Montana's bonus and preference points

Bonus points

Montana has a bonus point system in place for all special permits (deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose and mountain goat). Every year that you are unsuccessful in the drawing, and you participate in the bonus point system, you will be awarded a point. When you apply in the draw your accrued points are squared to increase the odds exponentially for the applicants with more accrued points. All base bonus points accumulate over time until you draw a permit.

Preference points

Montana also has a preference point system for nonresident Big Game Combination, Elk Combination, and Deer Combination Licenses. Preference points increase the chances of drawing a combination license and essentially move you ahead in line. 75% of all combination licenses awarded during the drawing will be issued to hunters with preference points. Anyone applying with three preference points will draw the license before anyone with two, and so on. Preference points accumulated will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/how-to-purchase-montana-bonus-points-and-preference-points?kmi=longgone79@hotmail.com&utm_source=goHUNT+Master&utm_campaign=028e493d51-Newsletter_071519_nonINSIDER&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ce54a62683-028e493d51-170223877&goal=0_ce54a62683-028e493d51-170223877&mc_cid=028e493d51&mc_eid=42b51b4174

16-Jul-19
I rest my case

17-Jul-19
So you only lose preference points if you skip years of applying. That reads that as long as you don’t skip 2 consecutive years you continue to accrue them.

Yes people with bonus points get a bonus.... not preference. Preference means you WILL draw before people with less preference points than you. That’s how Wyoming works. In other words if I have 4 points and someone else has 2 I will definitely get a tag before they have a chance at tags remaining after hunters in my point pool draw. Bonus points don’t give you preference like that. That give you an increased chance but not preference. If you have 3 bonus points you are assigned 3 numbers in the drawing. It’s like you have your name in the gat 3 times. That doesn’t prevent someone with 1 or even zero points from being drawn before you. People who are new to the game like that system because they at least have a chance of drawing the first year they apply. I personally don’t care for it. I think if you have more years invested meaning more money invested you should get preference. The new guys will be in your shoes eventually.

Wyoming offers a chance to people with low or no points by setting aside 25% of licenses for a random drawing for all unsuccessful applicants where points are not used and everyone has an equal chance. One of my partners drew a general elk license this year with zero points.

17-Jul-19
So if I wanted to get a start on hunting Montana antelope in a decent DIY area, would I be looking at bonus points, preference points or a combination? Say I wanted to hunt every two or three years.

17-Jul-19
Yes Dave that makes perfect sense right. Just like their website and when you call on the phone and they give you incorrect information. Worst F&G department and system of any state!

17-Jul-19
Dave, only you will be missing opportunity if you allow them to make you quit. Just deal with them. They're very simple people who don't understand the importance of the tags or the effort we put into applying and drawing those tags.

19-Jul-19
Ambush "So if I wanted to get a start on hunting Montana antelope in a decent DIY area, would I be looking at bonus points, preference points or a combination? Say I wanted to hunt every two or three years." If you are just talking antelope then there is NO reason you should be buying a NR preference point. NR preference points are used only in the drawing for Big Game Combo, Deer Combo, and Elk Combo licenses. To hunt Antelope you only need a general NR hunting license and an Antelope tag...to get the Antelope tag in the zone of your choice you should be buying Antelope bonus points.

19-Jul-19
It is all so clear as mud in a dark cave.

19-Jul-19
^Dave is correct IMO. I'm still of the opinion national organizations (NRA, RMEF, WU, DU, P&Y, B&C, etc) should take the lead on this and lobby on behalf of their membership to get these states that gouge NR's to throttle back the cost of the NR tags. I believe it will take a national effort by well known organizations to make this happen. If these organizations choose not too, then maybe re-think joining these orgs.

19-Jul-19
Lobbying to decrease non-res prices isn't happening, it won't get any support and my personal opinion is it shouldn't either. Non-ressy's are the primary revenue stream for these states (and I'm ok with that). I live in WI and have no concerns paying 1k+ for the privilege of hunting out there, I get that it's expensive; but most of the guys complaining about the price have a 40k truck sitting in their driveway. Life's about choices. I just wish my state would get with the times and charge what the market rate is for non-resident's. Does their system suck? Yup, but not because of the cost, because of the way it's set up.

22-Jul-19
If i know I'm going to be hunting in the general unit (or not at all) but i want that preference point then i apply for an extremely low draw odds unit like 380-20. That way you can keep getting bonus and preference points accrued. And hey if lighting strikes and you actually pull the tag then you're hunting in an excellent unit anyways.

22-Jul-19

RowdyBuck's Link
One of the best explanations of the Montana Bonus/Preference Point application process I have ever heard.

23-Jul-19
Good ole Montana... LMFAO

25-Jul-19
I don't get why people think Montana is so complicated. You apply for a license and a permit (if you choose to). If you draw a license you can hunt elk in 133 units, and if you draw a permit you can hunt elk in that limited draw unit also. Or is it just complicated because you can hunt so many areas for basically 3 months. I know it would be more simple if you were limited to one unit for 4 weeks, but I don't like that kind of simple.

25-Jul-19
I’d say one thing that can make it complicated is when you call fish and game with a question and they give you the wrong answer. Lmfao

25-Jul-19
^True...or you call and they say their computer system broke down and the draw or your refund is on hold.

25-Jul-19
Or how about... “Can you tell me when leftover licenses will go on sale please?”

“We um sold too many licenses by accident so there won’t be any leftovers this year. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Yes do you have the number for Wyoming Fish and Game!!! Lol

25-Jul-19
If I understand right, if you don't actually apply for a permit on year 3 of buying points only then you lose them....true?

26-Jul-19
Hmm... don’t quote me but if I remember correctly it reads “if you don’t apply for two consecutive years” which means you can only skip every other year.

26-Jul-19
Yes you loose them....

26-Jul-19
Hit them where it hurts and no one support them! Let's all storm area 51 together!

26-Jul-19
So if I have a preference point for the general tag already, dose the one I buy in 2020 help me for 2020. Or should I not buy one when I put in for the tag and save $50. If I don't draw the tag then buy one in August. Because there is no refund if I draw in March if it isn't going to help me.

27-Jul-19
Yes it will help you. It will guarantee you a tag in 2020! Not alot of people have that certainty.

27-Jul-19
I hope so. Up until last year I never needed one. It has been a long time since we didn't draw the combo tag probably since they raised the price. I have 4 LE elk points now thought we would draw the unit for sure this year then we didn't even draw the combo tag. Worked out ok though since I drew 61 in Colorado

• Sitka Gear