BowJangles 11-Jul-19
TrapperKayak 11-Jul-19
ghost stalker 12-Jul-19
Bowboy 12-Jul-19
JL 12-Jul-19
BowJangles 20-Jul-19
travistroop 24-Jul-19
11-Jul-19
I've got an Oregon black tail hunt in the Medford area coming up at the end of August. My buddy has a some pretty good private land that I'll be hunting so I'm confident I'll see deer. Any advice from the locals of that area or advice that had hunted black tails in the past would be appreciated. I'm well versed in chasing white tails but I'm sure their west coast cousins have their own nuances.

Cheers,

-Eric

11-Jul-19
I've hunted them a lot to the north of where you are, in WA. They are more difficult to hunt than WT, less pattern-able, and actually more wary outside of the rut. Nice bucks are a tough animal to hunt except during November IMO. And where I hunted, there is no ag., so nothing to attract them to any one particular area. They wander around looking for feed in no particular place, but will key in on apple trees if fruit is ready. Its big country where I hunted and bowhunting for good BT bucks is the ultimate challenge. Not trying to discocurage you, just reality. I don't know about where you are going. Might be a whole different ball game. Might be some nice oaks where you are going - scrub oak probably.

11-Jul-19
I'm definitely expecting a tough hunt. My buddy has some really nice bucks on cam already and I'll be hunting near apple trees.

11-Jul-19

BowJangles's embedded Photo

11-Jul-19

11-Jul-19
You're gold...those are nice bucks. Focus on that feed. Those 3 look more like the California blacktails than the Cascades BT up where I lived. More mulie genes it seems, than in than the west-side woodland blackies up there. That top one is a real big timber trophy. Best to you in your hunt!

11-Jul-19
Thanks Calvin! Really hoping I can put it all together out west. Win, lose or draw its gonna be an adventure.

11-Jul-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
You'll want to stay! Here's a nice cougar killed blackie I found in WA where I lived a few years ago. Not deep forks, but a good one for that area.

11-Jul-19
Bummer! That's an all the way solid buck!

11-Jul-19

Here's a nice one that magically appeared the day after late buck in WA just down the road from my house. Never saw him during season. There's an apple tree right there I believe.

12-Jul-19
I live in Medford. Those are all good bucks. If you got access to private you shouldn't have a problem filling a tag. Those bucks will still be in velvet. Find the feed and hunt the transition areas. Whitetail tactics work on blacktails, but pretty much the only thing they are going to be worried about that time of year is packing on weight for the winter. Looks like your buddy has a pretty good idea of where they are going to be. Hunt all day. Get in well before sun up and stay til dark. If you have water on the property near the feed you should have good action. These deer are nocturnal, but will move short distances during the day between the feed and water. You should also look into getting a bear and cougar tag when you come out. Non residents pay the same price as residents for those tags. They are $16 a piece. Send me a pm if you have any specific questions, but i'm sure your buddy has it pretty lined out for ya. Good luck.

12-Jul-19
I grew up hunting Blacktails in Oregon before I went into the service. There weakness is the rut or fruit tress I like apples or pears. They will come to rattling. I always use a stand and rattled every 30 minutes. There a great animal to hunt. Like stated they don't act like whitetails. Good luck!

12-Jul-19
When I lived in North Bend, OR, it was thick coast range. We would sneak up on clear cuts and glass for them in the early am.

This Youtube poster, Santiam338, is a local Oregon guy that puts up alot of Oregon hunting vids. He is a good hunter. I've spoken to him a few times years ago when I lived there. When I knew him, he would use a pack string of goats to hike back in behind gates and do overnight bear hunts. It was funny to watch the goats near the dead bear as they were skittish. He used to post alot on the Oregon forum here on BS under the name of Santiam.

20-Jul-19
You guys rock! As always I appreciate the tips and advice.

41 days and counting.....

24-Jul-19
I'm from Oregon, the best way we found was to canoe down a river really quiet. And scan the sides it gets really think. Also keep an eye behind you, sometimes they stand to look at you after you pass by.

• Sitka Gear