Treeline 21-Jul-19
whipranger 21-Jul-19
whipranger 21-Jul-19
BowJangles 22-Jul-19
JusPassin 22-Jul-19
Jon Simoneau 27-Jul-19
GF 28-Jul-19
12-Jul-19
Lets see some pics of coues killed with traditional gear! I went to AZ last year, did not harvest but had a great time and will be back. In the meantime, I switched to a longbow from compound. I'm thinking a coues with that equipment is a hell of an accomplishment. Would love to see some success pics and hear a little about how close you got, spot and stalk or tree, stuff like that. Thanks!

12-Jul-19
In 2017, I shot my lil cous at 25 yards, completely by accident. I didn't know he was there as I was headed to a saddle to intercept some mule deer that was coming up the hill. He walked out from under a tree when I saw him. The guys from Arizona Archery kept giving me a hard till when I'd go in, but when I showed up with the horns and pictures, they acted like I was a God. Because I wasn't wearing the camo I was supposed to, shooting the bow I was supposed to, I never posted or shared pictures. It's a tough hunt, averaged over 13 miles a trip, 4 miles into my first glassing point. Toughest hunt I've ever done, but the mulies and cous I chased was well worth it. Those guys from Arizona couldn't believe I was trying to kill desert deer with a stickbow, would shake their heads, but offer me spots to try. When they heard I killed one, they blew up my phone.

12-Jul-19
Thats awesome Anthony! I'm thinking it's a helluva hunt no doubt. Congrats!

12-Jul-19
Yeah he’ll of an accomplishment for sure...I’m excited to see pics too

12-Jul-19

whipranger's embedded Photo
This is where it started. I’m 17 here
This is where it started. I’m 17 here

12-Jul-19

100”
100”

12-Jul-19

98”. 3x3

12-Jul-19

94”
94”

12-Jul-19

106”
106”

12-Jul-19

90”
90”

12-Jul-19

90”
90”

12-Jul-19

96”
96”

12-Jul-19
Those are some incredible deer. Especially with a recurve.

12-Jul-19
I’ve taken 15 couse with my recurve. From 1 doe, 2 forks, 2 in the 70”, 3 in the 80”, 5 in the 90”, 2 over 100”

12-Jul-19
Thanks I love couse hunting

12-Jul-19
Those are some great deer whipranger. Defiantly on my bucket list.

12-Jul-19
Holy smokes... that's a super incredible feat whipranger. I'm in awe... Ed F

13-Jul-19
Whipranger FTW!

13-Jul-19
He learned from one of the best hunters alive...

13-Jul-19
Whipranger that is an impressive string of Coues bucks. Were they spot and stalk or another method?

13-Jul-19
WHIP! You da man! Thanks for posting. Super impressive. You've killed some big ones too. I'm incredibly encouraged. It's possible to have some success. I won't just be making a 23 hour drive to walk my bow.....although, to be in AZ in Jan walking a bow beats pushing snow in MT!

Anyone else?!

13-Jul-19
Holy cow Whip! Those are some incredible bucks!

13-Jul-19
Very very impressive! I'm also curious if you spot and stalk or ambush?

13-Jul-19
I’ve taken couse every way possible I think. I’ve hunted waterholes, trails, stalked them, called them, rattled them, and even just walked up on them on the way to a stand or looking for a new stand. ALWAYS BE READY!!!

14-Jul-19
Theres gotta be a few more guys on this site that have accomplished this......post em up!

14-Jul-19
Ive seen a few deer like that with the big white tail wavin at me as they disappear into the AZ desert. That is very impressive. If you ever need a scherpa give me a call.

15-Jul-19
Wow. I really thought there would be a few more guys with stories/pics. Whip you're in a world of your own.

15-Jul-19
Whip....I am very impressed by your kills, and also, the consistency of pretty much the same bow over the course of several seasons...looks like a Cascade?

great Job!

15-Jul-19
Wow Paul, That is something I would really like to do with my longbow. Thanks for some motivation.

15-Jul-19
whipranger those are some awesome bucks! Congrats!

15-Jul-19
Thanks everyone I was hoping to see more traditional couse also. Come on guys there’s gotta be some out there.

16-Jul-19
Nice

16-Jul-19
Big Dan of the coues

16-Jul-19
Still no one else?? Paul you oughtta write a book or something. I knew it was hard but didn’t see this coming. There’s a lotta killers on this site. Thought there would be a few more posted up. Maybe I’ll have to put this on the LW and see who surfaces.

I’m wondering if this isn’t the ultimate stickbow challenge?? Sure seems to be.

16-Jul-19
Don’t have any electronic pictures. Have taken a few with my longbow. Love hunting Coues.

16-Jul-19
Tavis, if you don’t have pics than it didn’t happen:)

Just kidding man. That’s awesome! Congrats on a helluva archery feat. You’re one of the few.

16-Jul-19
I’m impressed as heck. I hunted them once a few years ago and to stalk and kill with a stickbow is as tough as it gets. I’ll be back in January to try again.

16-Jul-19
I’ve hunted and guided a lot of different game and believe that a coues with any kinda bow is the most challenging hunt there is.

17-Jul-19
Hell, Paul!

I have more trouble with the “simple” ones!

Probably have had over 30 bear tags in Colorado and have yet to draw an arrow on one! Have killed bears everywhere else but here!

Going to focus on changing that this year... Getting to the point of considering a 20 pound cub as fair game...

19-Jul-19
Whip, that's a hell of an accomplishment!

19-Jul-19
great job!

20-Jul-19

fred's embedded Photo
fred's embedded Photo
I managed one a few years ago, still hunting. One of my greatest hunting accomplishments. 15 dollar Ben Pearson recurve with 3 dollar aluminum Walmart arrows.

20-Jul-19
$15 recurve and $3 arrows Thats old school,Thats me Older than Dirt....dirtclod Az..

20-Jul-19
That’s awesome Fred!

20-Jul-19
Double post

20-Jul-19
Eichler did it on film I think, from a ground blind on a water hole if I remember right!. Watched a video on YouTube or some where. Just searched for it with no luck though!

21-Jul-19
Pretty sure Paul has more good Coues bucks on the ground than any modern traditional bowhunter. Probably more than any three!

21-Jul-19
Treeline who was the greatest hunter yoo said he learned from?

21-Jul-19
His Dad. Unreal ability to think like, find and get into animals. Paul picked that up and added to it with the ability to make a solid shot when it counts.

21-Jul-19
My father. He has as many Coues with his homemade longbow. You can take him anywhere for anything and put him in the absolute worst possible area, and he’ll have an opportunity. There are more well know hunters or ones that have bigger animals, but I promise you he has forgotten more than any of us will ever know.

21-Jul-19
Thanks Treeline that means a lot coming from another hunter

22-Jul-19
Whip! WOW! I took a decent Coues (74") on my first try via spot and stalk with a compound........and it was HARD. The fact that you've take so many with a recurve speaks volumes about your abilities. Very impressive sir, bravo!

22-Jul-19
I love it, that gentlemen is what they call "hunting".

27-Jul-19
Outstanding. I’ve always wanted to try it with my recurve. Had no idea anyone has been so successful with Coues deer and traditional gear.

28-Jul-19
Poor Whip.... Nobody ever told him it’s impossible to get within 65 yards of a Coues and he’s wasted all those years... I heard they’re even tougher with a rifle, though... Sounds like 500 yards is pretty much standard for those poor SOBs....

Didn’t Paul (from The Fort) get one recently??

• Sitka Gear