Contributors to this thread:
Easton HIT epoxy removal?
Last year I got 6MM FMJ (Autumn Orange) arrows and easton hidden inserts. Epoxied them in with the two part epoxy.
Problem is the shop gave me the wrong inserts and they are to small. I figured this out when I put BH on and they spun great, shot into a target and poof, they don't spin great, turns out the inserts are for 5MM arrows. I got the inserts out by essentially grabbing the target tip with pliers and wiggling the insert in the shaft, then pulling. Scary that they actually wiggled and came out.
Now my problem is I have the right inserts, and they fit PERFECT in the arrows I never glued into before, but the ones I pulled the inserts from, there is residual glue in the shaft that prevents the insert from going in.
I've spent about 2 hours working on 2 of the arrows with a drill bit (hand only, no drill) and a wire gun cleaning brush from a .22 rifle.
I have yet to get all the glue out and can't get an insert fully in. Progress is being made, but VERY SLOWLY. I have 9 arrows to do!
Is there any way to dissolve the 2 part epoxy without damaging the arrow?
slide a drill bit into the back end, just smaller then the shaft. Then use swing it to slap the HIT. It will take a few swings but eventually they will come loose just make sure no one is standing around when the insert comes out.
Inserts are out. It's the epoxy that's still in the shaft and its preventing the new insert from sliding into the shaft
Google "removing cured epoxy". Several solvents (MEK, and sulfuric acid are two) should work if soaked for a while, as well as applying heat. Then using a wire brush or tight fitting drill bit to scrape it out might be effective.
how about a chain saw file?
Might be a crazy idea, but could you turn your arrows around and shoot them backwards?
hardcore, then he’d have to shoot with a mirror ‘cause they’d go backwards.
I have drilled inserts out of the 5mm Axis in my lathe, but I only use them for practice and birds after that.
I’d be talking to the salesman too!
What's the ID of the arrow? By a reamer .001" less then the ID, use a tap handle to hold the reamer, work it by hand.
Take it back to the bow shop
Agree, take them back and make this their problem
loosen up the epoxy with acetone, dip the tip in just long enough to soften and loosen it ... or use a cotton swab to wipe down the insides ... after cutting off old vanes, I soak my Gold tips in a can of it just long enough to soften left over glue. then wipe down with a wet rag ... ...
Easy- switch the arrows around. Strip the fletchings, remove the nock and put your new inserts on that end. Insert your nock and refletch the other end. A grain or two of epoxy won’t change poi
I do agree though if you bought them new from the shop they should fix it.
JTV hit the nail on the head.Acetone should do the trick. I use Q-Tips to help cleanup.
I just refletched a 1/2 doz. Velocity XT's and used the acetone on the extra glue ..... then wiped with a wet rag.... I nocked the 12 gr inserts out using the drill bit method (no heat) as I'm putting in 50gr inserts to up my FOC ... I'll use acetone/Qtip to make sure all the old Insert Iron insert glue is gone, then I use a .25 caliber brass bore brush to finish up the insides and a Q tip dipped in Denatured Alcohol to finish it up before I glue in the new inserts ... looks like I'm going back to the Velocity XT's again for this season as I can get a better FOC with them than my Hunter XT's without getting to heavy
I would turn them around and glue the insert in the other end.
I’d take a smaller drill bit, tape on some emery cloth then wrap it around the bit. Chuck it in a drill and carefully hone it till the insert just fits, use 91% alcohol on a cotton swab to clean up the dust and glue them in. The shop actually should make it right for you though.
Vinegar will break down epoxy, just get you a glass and put the arrows in the vinegar over night. Forrest
Brass bore brush dipped in acetone. Have patience as the glue will slowly break down. Swab the inside of shaft with q-tips to remove residue.
Can't take back to the shop. Bought at Harrisburg show 18 months ago. Dont remember the shop name. Also I moved across the country since then
I'll try the vinegar or acetone. If that doesn't work will have to refletch the other end
I would try Forrest’s vinegar method first, excessive brass brush can enlarge inside shaft diameter. Just a thought.
Screw a field tip into the new inserts, then stick the inserts into the shaft as far as they will go. Then, CARFULLY heat the field tip ONLY with a small propane torch as you continue to push the insert in. I hold onto the arrow shaft and push the field tip into a piece of wood with my right hand, while heating the field tip with my left. At some point the insert will heat up enough to melt the old epoxy and you'll be able to slide the insert all the way in. The trick is to use just enough heat on the field tip to melt the old epoxy without heating the arrow shaft enough to compromise the graphite resin.
I've done this hundreds of times with no ill-effects on the arrow shafts.
I would also try heat. Matts idea definitely works but you do run a chance of ruining the shaft. I would try a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen the epoxy enough then you should be able to pull it out with the bore brush. Maybe push the brush in first heat up the shaft then pull out. I have removed epoxy floor grout with a glue gun, acetone and vinegar did nothing only heat would soften it up enough to cut it out.
Ive tried the heat method with my arrows, I could not get the old epoxy to ever come loose without wrecking the arrow. Tried to knock out the old inserts as described above, nope, wore my arm out. Didn't try the vinegar method but am going to, want to get ride of the deep six inserts
I'd be leery of soaking the arrow in anything that breaks down the epoxy, since the resin they use to build carbon shafts is also a form of epoxy.