Ambush 13-Jul-19
Shawn 14-Jul-19
Grey Ghost 14-Jul-19
Ambush 14-Jul-19
x-man 15-Jul-19
13-Jul-19

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
So a few months back ever since I dropped the length on my bow it seemed I can't get the poundage to more than 55. The bow says fully adjustable up to 70lbs. Most were quick to blame the string being worn out and I figured that as well. I finally put a new string on and wanted to get the draw weight. Sure as shit I got the Alan bolts cranked all the way down and can only get it up to 56.. I'm totally stumped on this. I know it's more than enough to kill a deer I just prefer to be around 60 to 70. any Input would be greatly appreciated!!

13-Jul-19
What bow are you shooting?

13-Jul-19
Might want to take it to an archery shop where the tech can look it over. Also if no local shop, call the manufacturer

13-Jul-19
I think on those highly adjustable bows when you shorten the draw length you lose draw weight. I think it might also effect the let off.

13-Jul-19
We need to know what bow you have, and how you "dropped the length". I'm assuming you mean draw length.

Matt

13-Jul-19
Cocklebur x2

13-Jul-19
Shorter string = longer cables = shorter draw length = decreased draw weight = decreased valley and letoff = increased holding weight.

Matt

13-Jul-19

13-Jul-19
The bow is a martin eliminator ht. The draw is set at 28".

13-Jul-19
So if I changed the draw to 30 do you think it would be 70 lbs?

13-Jul-19
Get all the specs for the bow and confirm cable length, string length, axle-to-axle, brace height, let-off percentage, module position, draw stop timing and etc. Then go from there.

13-Jul-19
A longer drew length will increase max draw weight, but 30" is pretty long for most shooters. What is your finger tip to finger tip wing span?

Also, when you adjusted the draw length, did you use the "hunt" or "fish" screw location for the adjustment module?

Matt

13-Jul-19
I use the "hunt" matt.

13-Jul-19
70 pound limbs are 70 pound limbs. Can't see how you can drop 15 pounds by shortening your draw length a little. Something isn't right. A worn out string is not going to rob 15 pounds either. Is it possible your limbs have been heat damaged or just plain gone "limp" for some reason.

Had you ever checked the weight previously? Are they even 70 pound limbs?

14-Jul-19
Yes they are ambush. The bow is only on its third season. It could he wear and tear though. I guess you get what you pay for. I'd still like to figure it out though.

14-Jul-19
Shawn,

On that bow, it's easy enough to see if a longer draw results in more draw weight. It's just two Allen screws. I suspect the advertised 70 pound draw weight is with the bow set at its longest draw length. I also suspect that number isn't very accurate on such a cheap bow.

Also, are you confident the scale you are using is accurate?

Matt

14-Jul-19
I'd be willing to bet the bow never did make 70 lbs. Easiest thing to do would be put it back to the previous longer draw and check weight with the same scale.

Far as I know Mathews just came up with the first (commercially) available bow with modules to change draw weight. To date, limbs make draw weight, cams or modules make draw length.

Any bow I've ever changed draw lengths on stayed the same poundage. More draw length means more arrow speed because of power stroke, but poundage is the same.

15-Jul-19
Every time you shorten the draw length, the draw force curve shortens. This may or may not decrease draw weight, depending on that bows cam design. Youth bows for example that have 8-10 inches of DL adjustablility lose several pounds per inch, while some of the more expensive bows out there only lose a pound or two per inch. The only bows that do not lose draw weight are draw length specific cams.

If you have DL modules, you cannot escape losing DW per inch of DL reduction. It's simple physics.

• Sitka Gear