Empty Freezer 08-Nov-19
superslamsam 08-Nov-19
mn_archer 08-Nov-19
cnelk 08-Nov-19
mn_archer 08-Nov-19
13-Jul-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I went and did a couple days scouting in the high country and thought it would be a good time to try a breakfast meal I made.

I bought dried milk, granola, and freeze dried fruit. Measured each ingredient and then vacuum sealed it. So all I had to do is add water.

Here is the recipe- 1/3 c dried milk, 1/2 c granola, and 1/3-1/2 c freeze dried fruit.

Mix and then make a custom size vacuum bag and put the ingredients in and seal.

Just add 3/4 c of water, stir and eat.

Enjoy

PS - these ingredients will make several breakfasts

13-Jul-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

13-Jul-19
Breakfast really? Somebody’s Jones’ing!!!

Elk season can’t get here soon enough!!

13-Jul-19
I was hoping for pancakes and bacon.

13-Jul-19
Looks gross. Hahaha. Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day. I’m never hungry and never have time to eat. I’ve done the bagels with pb and honey, gross. I end up packing a couple extra granola bars.

13-Jul-19
I like it. If I skip a good-sized breakfast I end up being worthless.

13-Jul-19
UC, you’re missing the bacon. Ties it all together

13-Jul-19
Oh yeah. Cold hard bacon. Lol it was on there. Now I know why they call it a butt hole sandwich!

13-Jul-19
I used to make something similar, but used protein powder and powdered milk.

13-Jul-19
i did the dried milk, granola and dried blueberries in ten single breakfast servings on a hunt and it was great, never got tired of it.

13-Jul-19
That looks good! Mountainhouse biscuits and gravy is manna from heaven though. Hard to get me to abandon it! Ha!

13-Jul-19
I like how it looks like you chewed through the vac bag to get to it! That’s how good it is ;)

—Jim

14-Jul-19
Maybe vanilla protein powder instead of powdered milk for an extra flavor and content bang for your buck

14-Jul-19
That’ll work...

14-Jul-19
I'm more of a Bran Muffin with Raisins and a cup or 2 of coffee for breakfast.

Good luck, Robb

14-Jul-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
hot cider, dried apples slices
hot cider, dried apples slices
oat meal but leave some for the local critters
oat meal but leave some for the local critters
and if you are a real man!
and if you are a real man!

14-Jul-19
Looks good. My only suggestion is to use the more expensive Carnation powdered milk, it tastes a lot better than the cheaper powdered milk I've tried.

14-Jul-19
Rip open a cold one,Belch real loud and follow the return bugle!Kill..

14-Jul-19
I think Mike (Cheesehead) came up with recipe. Carnation instant breakfast, vanilla protein powder, and Carnation powdered milk. Ziplock bag, add water night before to reduce lumps. Suck it up with a straw. Quick and doesn’t require stove or prep time. Holds me until mid morning break.

14-Jul-19
I’ve done the breakfast ‘drink’. It’s good too. But I wanted some crunch in my breakfast. :)

14-Jul-19
dirtclod for the win!

14-Jul-19
I may have to try Paul’s Chipmunk...Lol

14-Jul-19
Yikes Paul you’re savage. I usually cook the chipmunks before consuming.

15-Jul-19
I'll have to try that cnelk, I'm getting pretty tired of the MH blueberry one. I hate eating breakfast, but I know if I don't eat I'll be worthless in a couple hours, it's always good to have a couple decent options...

15-Jul-19
My go-to breakfast in the mountains is Quaker Instant Oatmeal. Peaches n cream, maple brown sugar and apples n cinnamon. I can rotate and eat 'em for a week.

But I like granola, so I'll have to try that. Like Mt. house too, but DON'T like their breakfasts. Will have to try the biscuits n gravy now though!

Thanks for the suggestions! (Paul, that carcass looks like a Bear Grylls' breakfast! ;-)

16-Jul-19
I do similar and like it very much, I usually add in a bar of some kind. Mix up the cereals and fruits and you can have a bunch of different flavors. My favorite is banana nut crunch with some cranberries. The carnation powdered milk is good but the instant breakfast drink give my guts the twists

16-Jul-19
Great idea, Brad...I'm in !

I usually just wolf down a pop tart...

16-Jul-19
Looks good but waaay too much food for me in the morning. A granola bar and coffee until 9-10 am is all I can get in.

17-Jul-19
nice addition to my pack food options, thanks Brad. I too like the crunch.

17-Jul-19
My go to is oatmeal with protein powder Eat it hot or cold

17-Jul-19
One nice this is the granola will keep you 'regular'

17-Jul-19
Clif Bar, fruit, bran muffin and coffee for me until about 10 a.m. Never been a big breakfast guy.

Mountain House biscuits and gravy looks and smells too much like something my dog barfed up!

17-Jul-19
Thanks for planting that in my head Jaq! I owe you one!

18-Jul-19
Thanks a lot Lou...Damn it! Lol

18-Jul-19
My breakfast of choice in the back country would be fresh Applewood smoked thick slab bacon with French toast and a couple nice 11 inch brookies on the open fire. Home fries with peppers and onions, with cowboy coffee. Now that should take your mind off the above post... :) (None of this in griz country though).

08-Nov-19
***Follow up***...Do not vacuum bag these...the powdered milk turns into cement!

Had to take a hammer to my breakfast every morning before adding water, had a few leaky bags afterward, but it was still damn good!

I'll eat it again next Season.

08-Nov-19
Hey Brad. Open that bag from the side instead of the top and you won't get your hands all messy. LOL!

08-Nov-19
opening the side!! Now why haven't I thought of that... So simple, I feel so retarded right now.

08-Nov-19
Thanks for this recipe. As someone who hates oatmeal, I'm always looking for high country breakfast options that aren't oatmeal. Did I mention how much I hate oatmeal? Lol

08-Nov-19
Cnelk,

Did you try this with warm and cold water and how is the difference if so?

08-Nov-19
"Cnelk, Did you try this with warm and cold water and how is the difference if so?"

Yes I did. I think the biggest difference is one was hot and one was cold. :>)

Seriously, there are sometimes a warm breakfast is needed, and other times a quick cold one works. There was no difference in taste.

08-Nov-19
nice, gonna try this. Thanks for sharing.

Now come up with a cliff bar clone

• Sitka Gear