HUNT MAN 15-Jul-19
Irishman 15-Jul-19
TrapperKayak 15-Jul-19
pav 15-Jul-19
Z Barebow 15-Jul-19
elkocd 15-Jul-19
AZBUGLER 15-Jul-19
13-Jul-19
What’s everybody’s views about archery elk opener being sept 7 instead of sept 1.

13-Jul-19
Aways the first Saturday in sept in Montana the rut will be going on more the 7th is a plus you can hunt antelope in the rut

13-Jul-19
Here it is Sept. 1st, no idea where it is Sept. 7th.

14-Jul-19
Rotates in MT every year like Dan said. I always like it earlier but whatever. Still get the same amount of time. Just gotta wait a bit longer.

14-Jul-19
Would make zero difference to me, it just means I have more time to plan & maybe get a better read on a trail camera at a specific spot!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Jul-19
It always starts the first week of September, always on a Saturday, and the season lasts 6 weeks - pretty good schedule if you are a bow-hunter in Montana. You're also not competing with any kind of rifle or muzzle-loader seasons, and you can go rifle hunt for 5 weeks later if you want to, or bow-hunt during rifle season. Actually there are areas you can bow-hunt clear into January. So I'm not too worried about not getting to hunt the 1st of September, before the rut starts, and while it is probably too hot anyway. Like Dan said, we can spend that first week bow-hunting for antelope now.

14-Jul-19
It is interesting. Agree the late start will have the elk a little more rutty. They also have some time to calm down after labor day. If I get one early in Wyoming I might catch the opener in both states...

14-Jul-19
Dove opener is Sept. 1st!!!DANG!

14-Jul-19
Dove opener is Sept. 1st!!!DANG!

14-Jul-19
I don't get too concerned with elk on the opener, but I am bummed I have to wait to try to put a checkmate on a whitetail. The earlier the better for those older bucks. The later the better for those big bulls.

14-Jul-19
Seeing how the Gila opens on the 1st it will still be difficult to make it for the opener on the 7th but it is possible so I LOVE it!

15-Jul-19
I don't hunt openers...

15-Jul-19
To me opening day is one of the best time to catch a bull slipping. Herds changed between sept 5-10. I love to have the first drop on them! Hunt

15-Jul-19
I guess that the one disadvantage to most this year would be that Labor Day is the 2nd, so there is no 3 day weekend for the opener. Before I retired I liked to have the opening weekend to be on Labor Day weekend.

15-Jul-19
Sure miss that Montana season(s). Up high it is cool enough to enjoy on the 1st, but I wouldn't care if they moved it back a week.

15-Jul-19
As a nonresident, a later opener matters very little to me. Typically can't hunt the entire season and prefer to hunt better bugling dates... making it easier to locate the herds.

15-Jul-19
I am with pav. As an NR, locating elk by calling is important. Once I hear them bugle, I am no longer hunting for elk. I am now hunting elk. I now typically start my hunts around 9/8-9/10. Forget opening weekend and the moon, just hunt!

15-Jul-19
I have a feeling opening week in MT will be the best week with the 7th opener. Unlike OR, CO... where the elk have already been pressured like crazy, for a couple weeks, by the time the rut starts, that late start should mean the bulls will mostly unpressured and should be getting going good. The 9-12th is always a great time to put down a smoker, even better if they have not been chased yet.

15-Jul-19
Our opener is 9-13 this year. That’s a pretty decent date, but the closer you are to October it usually gets better here in AZ.

• Sitka Gear