KSflatlander 17-Jul-19
midwest 20-Jul-19
Rob in VT 20-Jul-19
Surfbow 20-Jul-19
Rob in VT 22-Jul-19
13-Jul-19
Congrats on your retirement !!!!

13-Jul-19
Well, you'll fit right in being from Minnesota and moving to Fraser. Winters will be similar - :)

13-Jul-19
Left Mn a year ago for Colo springs. Not familiar with where you are going. But weather here is much better than Mn, both winter and summer. Income tax is better, not progressive that die in Mn. Real estate tax is better. Estate tax here is zero, and very punitive in Mn for successful people. Best of luck on your move.

13-Jul-19
Hey pig doc! I hope to retire in about 2 years and head to my cabin north of Dolores! I am jealous! Working on an exit strategy for my vet practice as we speak. I also have a CO license so can dabble a little up there. Good luck in your new adventure!

13-Jul-19
I spent 35 yrs working up on the divide a half hour SE of Fraser. Cold but a lot of nice sunny winter days. There was a good archery range at the Winter Park Ski Area...Grand Co Archers...assume that it still exists?

Hope you don't want to garden because it is a very short growing season. North Park is neat as well, lightly populated and an hour to the north, and you are only an hour and 20 minutes from the Denver area if traffic is running smooth.

Mulies catch heck during bad winters but there can be some decent ones in Grand Co. That said I shot quite a few elk (over a dozen) with my bow but never arrowed a mule deer in Grand Co. The elk herds get lots of pressure... but my info is dated as I've been away from the area for a dozen years.

Fishing is primarily for trout but you have some big lakes with large trout in them, and one with good Northern Pike fishing (or at least it was decent years ago).

Good luck on your move!

13-Jul-19
Pig,

Im so glad to get some good neighbors. We have a place in Winter Park, just 4 miles from Fraser. I know the area well, and would be happy to share info. PM me.

Matt

13-Jul-19
Good move! I've got two daughters in Kremmling that keep telling me to move out there but I already go out 3 or more times a year. I would guess you've scouted it out and know what fun there is to be had! You'll probably miss those trips to your cabin on Vermillion tho. Have fun and let us know what fun you're having!

13-Jul-19
Congratulations Pig Doc, we just bought a cabin with some land near Somerset in Gunnison though, ae are also retiring out there in 2 years. I don't mean to hijack your post but while guys are responding does anyone know about the unit 521 area?

13-Jul-19
I know it's a shame, liberal loons doing that in most states. Getting into gov't and pushing their bs agenda.

13-Jul-19
If you get near Groundhog reservoir north of Dolores look me up. We are also thinking about renting it out for hunting in the future but being very selective as to who. I suspect you would qualify! ??

14-Jul-19
Congrats Chad! Enjoy!!

14-Jul-19
From one veterinarian to another, enjoy your your retirement!

14-Jul-19
What made you choose Fraser, CO, Chad?

16-Jul-19
Chad, I have elk hunted Unit 28 for the last 11 years. If you want to talk, PM me.

17-Jul-19
Congrats and best of luck with the new chapter PD!

Will

17-Jul-19
Pig Doc - You will feel right at home this year with all the mosquitoes from the wet spring/ summer. They are fierce!

But they don’t bite the the Minnesota State Bird for some reason. More bothersome than anything.

17-Jul-19
I'm so jealous Pig Doc. The wife and I have been considering relocating to CO now that the kids are out of the house. Congrats and best wishes.

17-Jul-19
Chad,

Just spent the last 3 days flyfishing some local waters around WP. I didn’t see a mosquito or biting fly the whole time. That’s likely to change later in the summer, though.

God it’s beautiful up there right now!

Matt

17-Jul-19
That is so cool that it happened that way. Much admiration for you and the wife. The wife and I got 20 more years of work before I retire so the job thing is an issue. I could transfer to Ft. Collins tomorrow but the wife would have to find a new job. I think maybe she will be ready next year after her "baby" (youngest of 5 kids) has one year of college under his belt. Then she thinks he will be fully fledged.

The wife and I are heading to Lost Creek Wilderness (near Bailey, CO south of Frasen)for 3 days of backpacking in a few weeks. I just love the mountains and Colorado. JTV can testify that I would fit in good with the liberals out there...lol.

20-Jul-19
Congrats on your retirement, Pig Doc. Enjoy!

20-Jul-19

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Wow, that’s a fast timeline! Congrats and best of luck chasing your dream.

I have 24 months until retirement. The wife is already retired and we just bought our dream home in Big Horn WY. Heading out in Sept to start setting up the house. Won’t be a resident for a few years but excited about the move. The west is great!

20-Jul-19
Chad, congrats and best wishes.

20-Jul-19
Pig Doc, make sure to get up to the Grand Lake area too, lots of fun stuff to do up there, and dinner at the Grand Lake Lodge is top notch. My wife and I just spent a couple days up there for our 10-yr anniversary.

22-Jul-19
Thanks Pig Doc. We are very excited. Heading out first 2 weeks of September.

• Sitka Gear