elkster 16-Jul-19
Sapcut 17-Jul-19
SteveB 18-Jul-19
SteveB 18-Jul-19
Castle Oak 18-Jul-19
Tony 18-Jul-19
Bigdan 18-Jul-19
13-Jul-19
I am looking at going elking solo this year and interested in the most efficient way to send simple text messages with no cell signal. I was looking at getting a SPOT but saw where it costs an additional $200 per year. Now I'm looking at other possible options and thought I would ask those who may know. Thanks

13-Jul-19
I have a Garmin InReach and it works great. I didn't like my SPOT because it can't receive messages. InReach has two way communication. It's not any cheaper than a SPOT but I think it's worth it.

13-Jul-19
Garmin inreach is your only other option unless you want to get a sat phone.https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

13-Jul-19

Scrappy's Link

13-Jul-19
Mini Garmin Inreach is your answer. I picked one up & am amazed. I blue toothed it to my Iphone & can text as usual with it to anyone with a phone or PC.

ElkNut/Paul

13-Jul-19
I have an older inreach and like it much better then the spot. You have a small yearly fee and the only pay for the months that you use it.

13-Jul-19
Wow. Thank for the info. I am doing more research now on your suggestions.

13-Jul-19
Learn Morse code and send smoke signals?.

14-Jul-19
I have sent simple short text messages before in areas without enough service to make a call.

My wife also said she tracked me in the BWCA last year via “find my phone” Apple app. Works even with your phone off.

14-Jul-19
I’m not Peter Johnson ....kind of funny though ??

14-Jul-19
Do you know for sure you won`t have service? I have been deep in Wilderness areas and have gotten service on a cheezy flip phone. I had to find a certain spot near camp but I got it.

14-Jul-19
The only areas I ever have a signal are maybe the very highest points. And there are many other places I would be other than that. Very unlikely, based on past experiences, that I would have a signal.

14-Jul-19
Several of us had the mini inreach last year hunting with the vets in deep areas with zero service. The mini came through with flying colors, this little unit is amazing & texting was no problem! It took a bit longer to send & receive messages between units, like 10-15 minutes was all. We had our units blue toothed to our Iphones so we could text like normal.

I was hunting with another guy last year at the end of the season with no wifi service in our area. I could text with my Son back & forth, he was in town 30 miles away with wifi, our texts went back & forth in seconds during updates of the hunt. So it appears if one guy has wifi the texts are super quick! Awesome little unit & I love the Earthmate mapping that comes with it, it's all I need!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Jul-19
I use the in reach with the included earth mate mapping. It solves the problem you posted about plus some.

14-Jul-19
Love my InReach! I'll be hunting the same unit as a couple buddies. Though we won't be hunting together, the ability to help each other pack is priceless! Not to mention in case of emergency or simply being able to text a loved one letting them know you're ok is pretty awesome! It was over $500. B-day gift from ex gf. Least I got something out of the relationship ;) I will probably activate the service for 2 months starting in August. I love that you can choose a plan and no obligation beyond month to month.

14-Jul-19
Elkster and Trophyhill, which model do you have? Thanks

14-Jul-19
This, and the snake bite thread, have changed my gear list for my upcoming hunts. Thanks for the information, gentlemen.

Matt

14-Jul-19
So using the Mini, you would rather not have the GPS capabilities?

14-Jul-19
You do have GPS capabilities sir! It's all on your phone once you bluetooth them together. Darned awesome too! You can now name your Marked Waypoints with as many characters as you want too, no real limitations. So, it has Texting, GPS, SOS, Mapping & much more!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Jul-19
I have the Mini and it can be used as a stand-alone unit. But if you have a cell phone anyway, it's a no brainer to pair them. All your phone contacts are at your fingertips and a keyboard to. Plus bigger screen mapping.

14-Jul-19
Oh Ok. I was watching a youtube review comparing the Mini and the Explorer and thought he said the difference was the mini could not be used as a stand alone GPS device like the Explorer. Thanks

14-Jul-19
Normal GPS units love to eat batteries for breakfast. Do you only turn it on when you are actively sending/receiving? If so how does you hunting buddy contact you? Turn on at predetermined times?

14-Jul-19
David, they will go a couple of days left on. (mini inreach) On my Iphone I put it on Airplane mode & it too will last a couple of days left on. If staying away from power longer than that I'd bring along a small cigar sized portable charger, one unit will give a couple of charges if need be!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Jul-19
Happy with my regular Inreach. I leave it off until I want to send or check messages- battery lasts for months without charging. Had a Spot at work and never cared for it. My unit is pretty small and haven't seen a reason to look at the mini, which a new buyer should look into.

14-Jul-19
Yea those small LifeSaver roll size power banks are really handy. Good questions. To add, does inReach need to be turned on to keep up with your route and 30 minute tracking intervals. Last time I used my GPS, can't remember if it had to be turned on or not. Sorry for the ameteur questions but appreciate the feedback.

14-Jul-19
I have the bigger version. It's set up very similar to my 60 CSX gps. It has a topo already loaded so I can use it as a gps and mark waypoints and such.

14-Jul-19
I too am shopping for something this year. I'm planning a solo hunt and my wife and I do a lot of remote hiking in the summer where there is no service.

I do not like the cost for the Garmin, seems pretty pricey on the service side.

Have been looking at two alternatives: http://bivystick.com and https://satpaq.com/satpaq/

I really like the satpaq model of only pay for what you use.

15-Jul-19
Sapcut, I have the explorer se

Don't know about the mini. If it does everything the se does with less weight, that's probably worth it.

Like Paul said, you have a cell phone anyway so bluetooth (synchronize?) them and you can operate your cell phone screen using the info provided from the in reach. Earthmate comes with inreach so download maps of the area you will hunt BEFORE you get there and you can navigate using your cell phone screen.

15-Jul-19
Get the mini, link it to your smart phone, and go kill you some elk! It's a great system.

15-Jul-19
Elkster, thanks for that. Does your SE do what you want it to? Anything it DOES NOT provide? If not mistaken the Explorer has pre installed topo maps where the SE doesn’t. But if paired with Earthmate, all topo maps will be available. Correct? If true then it’s just a matter of keeping cell phone charged.

16-Jul-19
Yes, it does what I want - texts, and enables me to use my android to navigate and text. Remember to activate everything at home and using the earth mate download the specific drainages you want to hunt. Then when you get in the field, gps will show you where you are located on your cell phone screen.

17-Jul-19
Bluetooth pairing your InReach to smartphone seems to be the big plus with messaging and navigation.

Now that I have my InReach with very good battery life, It seems to me that perhaps this setup is only as good as my much less capable phone battery.

18-Jul-19
Garmin InReach has this market cornered. Don’t even think twice.

18-Jul-19

18-Jul-19
Sapcut, be patient with the Inreach as it will take several minutes for it to connect to satellites once turned on. Depending on where I was last year, it took up to 20 minutes for it to "boot up". Regardless, it worked great.

18-Jul-19

Tony 's Link
I just ordered a somewear global hotspot. Haven't used it yet. It's a newer company but the few reviews it has are good, and the subscription is more affordable. Bivy stick is another similar new option

18-Jul-19
Smoke and a Blanket

• Sitka Gear