mad-dawg 15-Jul-19
SBH 15-Jul-19
Caughtandhobble 17-Jul-19
Redheadtwo 17-Jul-19
dm/wolfskin 18-Jul-19
dm/wolfskin 18-Jul-19
Cnichols73 18-Jul-19
14-Jul-19
I picked up a dozen simmons treesharks to use this season and they came with virtually no edge to them. I watched a few youtube videos but cant seem to get them really sharp. They are sharp but not what i consider hunting sharp. Anyone have any tips?

14-Jul-19
Rada wheelie sharpener is what I use in my tree sharks. Works great!

14-Jul-19
Was not able to get mine shaving sharp with a Lansky. So I gave them away. Hope others have better luck than I did.

14-Jul-19
Mo/Ark, i bought one of the Rada's and it works but they arent razor sharp or even close. What angle are you using?

14-Jul-19
I usually put them on an old arrow, and then follow the shape of the blade as I pull through. Med-light pressure. Usually takes 5-10 passes per side. Then hit it with a strop a few times. I don't know if I would trade in my razor, but they'll shave hair, and leave a mean hole!

14-Jul-19
I've had trouble with them too.

14-Jul-19
Man, we need TBM back... the Simmon’s master.

14-Jul-19
A round file works and there is a sharpener Simmons sells. Razor sharp isn't necessarily mandatory, sharp enough will work. Scalpels are as sharp as they are because a good clean edge helps seal the wound quicker, a cut with a ragged edge is very hard to close. So get them sharp but don't worry about razor sharp.

14-Jul-19
X2 with LB.....I think guys are too caught up in this "shaving sharp" deal. This sharpened projectile is traveling 300 fps....getting it sharp enough to shave your nosehairs is not necessary. Not to mention most are probably doing more damage than good trying to get it so.

14-Jul-19
I use the Rada and the sharpener that Simmons sells which is some round files and a jig. The rada is good for touch up but the simmons sharpener gets them razor sharp.

14-Jul-19
I use a file, then a lansky ( clamp it twice. Once for the front and for the back). Then use a accusharp very very lightly. They will shave and lb is right. It is not how sharp it is going in but how sharp it is going out after contacting hair , hide, bone, organs then bone, hide , and hair again

14-Jul-19
Glue the head to an arrow and grind the edge to as small an angle as you can with a bench grinder. After you set the angle on the grinder sharpen it with a jewelstik and you should be able to get it razor sharp.

15-Jul-19
I have a pull through sharpener, like one of the simple course and fine ones, and man it will put a pretty good edge considering they already have the bevels clean.

15-Jul-19
Good info LBshooter. Thanks

17-Jul-19
I use the RADA for the initial sharpening. I follow up with a piece of leather rounded to about an inch circle for the hair popping finish... Give the rounded leather a try and you'll be very happy you did.

I have to agree with antlerman, they make a large hole. I shoot a longbow these days and the blood trails are always short and easy to follow.

17-Jul-19
I use the sharpener ABS sells.

18-Jul-19
https://youtu.be/MtNBQoVlz80

18-Jul-19

18-Jul-19
I've had great results with a jewel stick, and have been able to get them shave sharp

• Sitka Gear