POW Question
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
Bghunter00 14-Jul-19
tkjwonta 14-Jul-19
Earltex 14-Jul-19
Earltex 14-Jul-19
14-Jul-19
Many years ago I went on a black bear hunt to POW, one of my favorite hunts ever. My oldest son will graduate high school in 2 years and I would like to take him there for a bear hunt as a graduation gift. I know things have changed and I believe a NR may now need a PP or 2 to secure a tag? Can anyone help me out on what I need to be doing in the next couple years to ensure we can get a tag for him. Can I buy a PP like many of the other states or do you only get one if you are unsuccessful in the draw? Thanks!

14-Jul-19
No PPs in Alaska and the drawing for spring is 18 months prior to the hunt. So, for example, I drew a POW bear tag for spring 2020 and we had to apply in December 2018. If you put yourself and your son in on separate applications, hopefully at least one of you draws and you can both go on the hunt.

Also, there are other islands in the same general vicinity that have better draw odds, but I don't know if they are better/worse than POW.

If you go guided you can avoid the draw all together, you only need to draw a tag if going DIY.

14-Jul-19
Just took my son for a bear hunt there after his grad. What an awesome gift. Made a lifetime of memories. PM me if you need assistance.

14-Jul-19
A DIY trip to POW is not an easy or cheap trip. Not sure what a guided hunt costs, but given the time, equipment, transportation and other requirements you should consider.

• Sitka Gear