Kurt 15-Jul-19
cnelk 15-Jul-19
RutnStrut 15-Jul-19
PAOH 15-Jul-19
mattandersen 15-Jul-19
sdkhunter 15-Jul-19
Rob Nye 15-Jul-19
14-Jul-19
Yeah, I know! Didn’t want to hijack the UTV thread...Been told by numerous people now, that I’ll need a Quad/UTV for my Wyoming Hunt, just to save wear and tear on my truck...Like the Quad aspect, as I can haul in back of truck instead of a trailer if need be...

Also looking for the 50” width for hauling and some trail restrictions...So far I’m liking the Yamaha and Suzuki line...Any others to look at?

14-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I’ve been really happy with my 2012 Grizzly 700 with power steering.

I got it so I can park at the bottom and ride up without fear of getting stranded. Had some close calls with my truck. No more.

Last October I hauled out an entire camp and a full bull on a 7 mile muddy slick trail. So glad I had that thing!!!!

14-Jul-19
Can Am. Best ride. Be sure to get power steering on whatever you buy.

14-Jul-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Made a bigger front rack.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Made a bigger front rack.
In very partial to Yamaha after having three of them over the last fourteen years, all trouble free. I just sold a 2007, 450 that I bought new. Great all around machine that did a lot of work for me. I bought a 2012 700 last year with power steering. My intention was to buy a 2019 450 again but when they reissued them they left off the front diff-lock. I will not have a quad without a true lock- up four wheel drive.

If you can find an older 450 with diff lock and power steering, you’ll have a great machine with a fairly small footprint.

The 700 after 2015 did not have a Yamaha motor and they have problems with the top end.

14-Jul-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Extended the rear rack 4” and put hinges on the box. A deer, bear or half a small moose fits there.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Extended the rear rack 4” and put hinges on the box. A deer, bear or half a small moose fits there.

14-Jul-19
Very happy with my 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650. Bought it new in 2002, replaced 1 module & 2 batteries. Been a great machine

14-Jul-19
I've got a 1998 500 Suzuki Quad. There is nothing on it electric but the headlight, starter, and winch Full time 4 wheel drive. So far, for the last 19 years it has been a good one. :^)

I don't get the advice on power steering. It is just something more to go wrong. Get what you like. Just consider that if you don't currently have one, you probably won't be trail riding outside of hunting or scouting. So, you can spend $10,000 and get the Cadillac. Or, buy a basic older one for $1500. It'll do everything the new ones will. Possibly slower and while riding rougher. But, you won't loose a fuel sensor, throttle control, or any other basic function because something electrical failed you in the back woods.

Good luck whatever you choose. Just understand that the only benefit that a newer offers in the risk department is not having to adjust the carb in altitude.

God Bless bro.

14-Jul-19
Can Am or Honda, but I don't think there are any bad ones out there.

14-Jul-19
Love my 2015 Honda Rubicon 450. With the capabilities of smaller quads these days I see no reason for a big 700-1000cc machine. But that’s just me. Rather be able to fit in small places, load easily, and know my muscle power makes a big difference getting unstuck.

I also have a plow for it and use it on my driveway and it’s awesome

14-Jul-19
That is another great plus for a smaller or older quad. I had a Polaris 500 HO that weighed 800 pounds dry, with nothing on it. My Suzuki weighs 493 pounds dry. While i have never been stuck in the Suzuki, if I were to get that way, I can pick up one end pretty easily. Not so with that Polaris. And, i was stuck in that thing more times then I can count. And, know from first hand experience how hard it is to pick up one end of it

14-Jul-19
I've had 3 different Suzuki's, all very reliable. Something to consider is the dry weight of the machine. Some are much heavier than others. Not a huge deal until you are by yourself and need to move it a bit.

14-Jul-19
I've got a 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 I bought new. Runs like a bull. Tough. Has done everything I asked of it. Never had issues with it and it's still running strong. Maintenance is everything, I've done it all religiously and have not had problem one! In a year or two I may upgrade to a newer model, we'll see. Would hate to get rid of an old friend but sometimes, all things considered, you just need to make changes. I've been told by a service man that parts for this 20 year old machine may soon be hard to get.

14-Jul-19
My old '04 Suzuki Eiger 400 was great for the last 10 years until it's transmission started acting up. I was thinking real hard on another quad until the wife chimmed in and suggested a side by side. It was small enough that I could man handle it around but it sure did work hard like a mule. I don't think the side by side will replace the quad's duties simply because of it's size. Fetching a dead deer in the middle of a corn field is easy when you can drive between the corn and the fence line. I'd also suggest a 450 or so size for pure hunting.

14-Jul-19
Honda !!

14-Jul-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I bought a Yamaha 400 Big Bear 4x4 in 2002. I have over 4000 miles on it with no problems whatsoever. This past weekend I had it up at 12k’ scouting.

It’s nimble, tough and small enough to get into tight spots.

14-Jul-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
In 2017, Native Oakie and I took mine up to fetch out my cow elk. 2 guys and an elk no prob

14-Jul-19

JL's Link
I looked at the various ones for a bit back in 2011. I finally decided on a camo Yamaha Grizz 550 with EPS. I found one with only 20 hours on it in western Wisconsin and drove over and got it that night. At that time, finding a good used one that hasn't been beat or snorkeled was hard. Some guy had it in a one stop light town and decided it and the payments weren't for him. Got it and the new snow plow. I don't use the snow plow. It's easy to do tune ups and oil/fluid changes on. I put a K&N air filter on and recharge it every couple of years. It only gets ethanol free gas. I haven't had anything break yet. I made some wood boxes for the front and back for one of my bear hunting trips to haul bait. I kept them on as I found them to be pretty handy. I really can't say anything bad about it. The Grizzly Central forum provides some great tips for repairs and upkeep so you can some money.

15-Jul-19

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Wyoming Elk getting a ride back to camp, 11 miles away.

15-Jul-19
Suzuki or Yamaha would be my choice, im on my second 750 king quad before that I had a Yamaha grizzly and a Kawasaki prairie. The king quads are a pleasure to drive, they don't have the constant mechanical noise that many others have. If your needing bigger power than the suzi or yamaha look at brp

15-Jul-19
a couple things to look for. Make sure is has a differential lock, 4 wheel drive means only one front and one back wheel spins, not good enough, ask me how I know. Get good tires on it, ones that will handle mud and snow. Make sure it has a winch on it with a long cable on it, at least 100 feet. I got stuck last year, cable to short and no diff lock. My buddies had a diff lock and a long winch cable, he pulled me out 3 times. He drove thru the one tough spot and I got stuck 3 of 4 times. My cable was only 25 feet, not nearly long enough.

15-Jul-19
I have owned Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki and Yamaha and all have been good.Currently own a 1998 Kawasaki Prairie purchased new with 5,000 miles and my third new Yamaha: a 2016 Viking.

15-Jul-19
a couple things to look for. Make sure is has a differential lock, 4 wheel drive means only one front and one back wheel spins, not good enough, ask me how I know. Get good tires on it, ones that will handle mud and snow. Make sure it has a winch on it with a long cable on it, at least 100 feet. I got stuck last year, cable to short and no diff lock. My buddies had a diff lock and a long winch cable, he pulled me out 3 times. He drove thru the one tough spot and I got stuck 3 of 4 times. My cable was only 25 feet, not nearly long enough.

15-Jul-19
You'll hear guys talk about tires. Your quad will only be as capable as your tires allow it to be. Good tires you can walk through crap in 2WD that a guys with stock tires is having a hard time with in 4WD. I'm amazed at the blowdowns I get over in 2WD with good tires.

15-Jul-19
What are good tires?

15-Jul-19
Just for clarity, virtually all quads have a solid or constantly locked rear end, and that is why they tear up grass and gravel when you turn them short....the inside rear wheel on the turn skids. Some UTVs have "turf mode" with a locker on the rear diff, similar to an automobile to avoid tearing up your grass on turns. Discussions around lockers on quads are for the front end so you can switch into 4-wheel drive versus 3-wheel versus just rear wheel drive (always 2-wheels driving).

For the record I switched quads last year from a couple of old Hondas (2002 Rubicon and 2008 Rancher that were both reliable and never cost me a penny beyond tires, oil and filters) to a 2013 Yamaha 550 Grizzly. I like the upgrade in terms of ride with independent rear suspension, much better seat, power steering and especially fuel injection providing easy winter starting versus the old Rubicon used for snow plowing duty. The Yamaha has a great automatic clutch ahead of the CVT belt drive that works very smoothly and holds you back on hills. Anyway, a nice upgrade and still a compact quad that isn't super heavy. It does use more fuel than the Hondas did. Good luck!

15-Jul-19

“What are good tires?

GBC Dirt Devils

15-Jul-19
If it's something that will be worked and not babied. Honda or Yamaha is the only way to go.

15-Jul-19
Gbc dirt devils x2

15-Jul-19
I've had my 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750 since new and I have beaten the snot out of it. I just replaced both front and rear axles now after 11 years of torture and to be quiet honest not the best maintenance...I can't say enough about it. Has served me well and I'm glad I got the 750 cause now its helping me with food plots. I've plowed lots of heavy snows, it's hauled out loads of wood and tons of deer over the years. I have definitely abused it not to mention I've rolled it 3 times...I'm a lot less wild than I used to be haha

15-Jul-19

sdkhunter's embedded Photo
sdkhunter's embedded Photo
I've got a 09' Yamaha Grizzly (660) and then a 19' CANAM (570).... Kinda wished I would have spent the extra cash and got the power steering - I didn't realize how nice it was until after I had already bought mine... If I had to do it over again, I think I'd buy the Honda Rubicon with PS in Auto OR would have picked up another\newer Grizz... If you buy used, I'd suggest buying something with EFI - otherwise you're are going to want to JET depending on your elevation...

15-Jul-19
Have had can-ams since they started making them. A 2004 650 2007 400 H.O , a 2008 500 a 2011 800 a 2017 650 and a 2018 Defender 1000. All have been excellent they get some tough outfitter use. Only brand I’ll buy.

• Sitka Gear