ElkNut1 18-Jul-19
trophyhill 21-Jul-19
Aspen Ghost 26-Jul-19
Ucsdryder 26-Jul-19
elkstabber 26-Jul-19
elkstabber 26-Jul-19
Kurt 26-Jul-19
16-Jul-19
Ok I don't remember what bags I had the last timer I used them. But they where lite, packable, strong and I guess I threw them away after I used them.. This will be for a backpack hunt, so they need them to be lite, strong, packable and for a boned out elk... They don't have to be reusable, but would consider.. So what's everyone running and maybe why your running them?? Thanks Ed

One more thing, if you can tell me of a OTC honey hole in Colorado I'd be much obliged.. :) But I really do need to know about game bags. :)

16-Jul-19
Argali makes some nice ones. I think they weigh 9 ounces.

And my OTC honey hole is in a place called RMNP. Theres some OK ones in there, just make sure you hunt at night.

16-Jul-19
Check out, Caribou big game bags. -- a little pricey but washable and reusable. Or just purchase some cheap cotton pillow cases.

16-Jul-19
I've packed out around 20 bulls with my Caribou bags. Just wash/bleach after each use and they keep going. Well worth the investment imho. There are a few more that use the same material.

16-Jul-19
Just bought some Allen Outfitter bags.

16-Jul-19
TAG bags have been great for the past 2 seasons for me

16-Jul-19
Here's another vote for Caribou

16-Jul-19
I won’t use anything but Caribou game bags. I vacuum seal mine so they take up even less space.

16-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I use the TAG BOMB bags. They are good.

16-Jul-19
I use the Black Ovis bags, they are basically rebranded TAG bags.

16-Jul-19
Argali, Black Ovis (Caribou), tag bags....all good

16-Jul-19
Lightest, most packable method I know:

16-Jul-19
TAG bags for me. The owner is local to Fairbanks and Black Ovis ripped off the design.

16-Jul-19
^^^ you need to take them off first :)

16-Jul-19
Caribou wapiti 5 pc set.

16-Jul-19
I bought the Allen back country game bags off amazon on sale a couple months back. Seem to be similar to everything else out there.

16-Jul-19
Tag Bags for me. Love them and I like supporting small businesses. Larry is a good dude.

16-Jul-19
Caribou bags for me. Had the same bags for at least 8 years and yes I have used them a time or two??. Tags are nice as well but I think the older ones are a little less durable. Tore my buddies on a moose.

16-Jul-19
Tag bags with a few odds and ends Kifaru and Caribou.

16-Jul-19
Caribou bags for sure. I use the small 4 pack that fits in a small nylon bag. Well under a pound and each one will hold 70-80# of meat. Kuiu makes some really nice ones as well. I have 2 that I will use on my POW hunt this year.

16-Jul-19
TAG Bags for the last 4 animals and very happy with them. Light and durable.

17-Jul-19
Caribou are my favorite. Light and durable. I use the same bags over and over

17-Jul-19
BlackOvis

17-Jul-19
Have used TAG and Caribou bags in the past and both are awesome. Picked up some Argali bags this year and going to give them a go on Kodiak. They all make "slimmed down" versions designed for boned out meat that will save you a few ounces over the bigger versions designed for full quarters. The TAG and Argali versions come in right around 10 oz for a set.

17-Jul-19
Thanks everyone for your comments.. I'm going to look over the brands you suggested and see which will best suit my needs. Again Thanks Ed

17-Jul-19

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I use these and condense them down with a food saver bag. 4 bags are 8.1 ozs including the bag.

17-Jul-19
I recommend the TAGs from Larry as well. Strong and reusable.

17-Jul-19
TAG bags for me.

Alaska Game Bags are generally a poor choice as flies can blow through the material.

17-Jul-19
"Alaska Game Bags are generally a poor choice as flies can blow through the material."

Unfortunately, I can vouch first-hand that is a fact.

18-Jul-19
Yeah, I stopped using the Alaska bags for that very reason, Matt. I don't like any of the stretchy mesh style bags, after losing meat to flies with them.

Now, I'm using the Allen Backcountry Quarter Bags. Not their cheaper economy line. The Backcountry bags are 28" x 50", made of durable material that flies can't penetrate, and have a handy draw string. Four of them pack down to about the size of a softball, or slightly larger.

Matt

18-Jul-19
For boned out meat, the Caribou Gear Carnivore III game bags are my pick, hands down. The construction is outstanding, and the fabric itself is extremely breathable (they intentionally don't use a big logo or anything on the bag that inhibits breathability). Even on long hunts, I've kept meat in great condition. I've re-used the same bags a number of times and they're still going strong. Some other companies use a nylon material, which does not breathe nearly as well. The material that Caribou uses is extremely effective.

18-Jul-19

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I have used the Allen back country meat bags for several years and have been very happy with them. They're light, compact, tough, reusable and reasonably priced. Allen makes several different types of bags, these are the synthetic non stretch bags.

18-Jul-19
I haven't seen anyone comment on the Cabela's game bags (made by Koola). Any experiences with them (good/bad)? They claim to keep flies off and anti-microbial??

18-Jul-19
TAG bags work well for me.

18-Jul-19
A friend use the cabelas by coolabuckm for moose a couple years ago. Worked well, stretched a lot.

18-Jul-19
X2 Mike!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Jul-19
Hang em High game bags for me. Fly proof and durable!

26-Jul-19
Is the set of four 20x30 synthetic allen bags enough for a quartered (but not boned out) elk?

26-Jul-19
Aspen, the small Allen’s are too small for elk quarters. The big ones will fit a moose, or possibly an elephant. I bought both and plan on using 2 Smalls for front quarters and 2 bigs for rears. Then 4 Smalls for deer.

26-Jul-19
Aspen, I've used the Allen Backcountry bags for a few years. 20x30 is perfect for boned out meat and will hold a whole elk, but I prefer to use 5 bags rather than 4. One each for the two rear quarters, one for the two front deboned shoulders (combined), one for backstraps and tenderloins, and then one for loose/trim meat. More bags also allow for faster cooling. This means that you have to buy two Allen kits, which will get you 8 bags. Beware that the little grey loops that are meant to hang the bag aren't secure enough to support a full bag.

26-Jul-19
Aspen, I've used the Allen Backcountry bags for a few years. 20x30 is perfect for boned out meat and will hold a whole elk, but I prefer to use 5 bags rather than 4. One each for the two rear quarters, one for the two front deboned shoulders (combined), one for backstraps and tenderloins, and then one for loose/trim meat. More bags also allow for faster cooling. This means that you have to buy two Allen kits, which will get you 8 bags. Beware that the little grey loops that are meant to hang the bag aren't secure enough to support a full bag.

26-Jul-19
TAGS kit that weighs 10 ounces for backpack hunting. The kit includes some small loin bags etc. These bags saved a bunch of weight over my homemade pillow case style cotton bags my wife made us 20 years ago...some big enough for a moose qtr and others more suitably sized for deer and sheep. Great for the truck or quad but heavy and bulky.

• Sitka Gear