Grey Ghost 17-Jul-19
cnelk 17-Jul-19
Grey Ghost 17-Jul-19
Jaquomo 17-Jul-19
Horniac 17-Jul-19
fubar racin 17-Jul-19
Treeline 17-Jul-19
17-Jul-19
What are the rules in Colorado for walking through a unit that you do NOT have a tag for to hunt a unit that you DO have a tag for? Planning a scouting trip to investigate and area I would like to hunt but it will require me hoofing it through a different unit to get to the area. Seems like in the past I was told this is legal if you do not have broadheads in your arrows? Not sure if this is the only requirement or not. Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction to find the actual rule on this. I am sure it have been discussed on here before but I am not finding anything searching. Thanks for any help!

17-Jul-19
Call the WCO for the unit(s) in question. His interpretation is the only one that matters. If you call HQ in Denver you may get 12 different answers from 8 different people, and half will be wrong....

17-Jul-19
And that would be for a simple yes or no question!

17-Jul-19
Perfectly legal. You can hunt small game in any unit. Just be ready to show the gut pile/carcass when you kill and are stopped packing back through the wrong unit

17-Jul-19
I did check and you can. If you have a small game license and something (small game) is in season in the unit you are going thru, you can even hunt the unit for small game why passing thru it. Small game can be hunted with bow and Colorado makes me buy a small game license. An email to and back from the Co dow will give you prof that you checked with them.. Ed

17-Jul-19
Small game species open for hunting during archery season are as follows:

Coyote / Snapping turtle / Marmot / Richardsons Ground Squirrel / Dusky Grouse / Sage Grouse / Mtn Sharp Tail / Pigeon / Chukar / Dove / Starling / Sparrows / Rail / Snipe / White Tailed Ptarmigan

17-Jul-19
"I hiked up that ridge at 10K because I just knew there might be a snapping turtle up there somewhere!"

17-Jul-19
I might as well do a backpack sparrow hunt, I already have the small game license in CO!

I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole but would just like to get some general information on sparrow populations, etc.

17-Jul-19
I actually caught a band tailed pigeon on a trailcam near 11,000 feet once. Those suckers are TASTY, wouldn't mind that for a mountain meal

17-Jul-19
I want the honey hole for those snapping turtles above treeline.

17-Jul-19
There are no laws against carrying a bow on public ground that I'm aware of. You don't have be hunting anything to walk from one unit to the next.

Matt

17-Jul-19
Anyone have a snapping turtle bugle tube I can borrow?

17-Jul-19

Grey Ghost's Link
FYI, some of the species listed in cnelk's post cannot be hunted during the entire archery elk season. See link.

Matt

17-Jul-19

17-Jul-19
“There are no laws against carrying a bow on public ground that I'm aware of. You don't have be hunting anything to walk from one unit to the next. Matt”

^^^^^^^^^ This...

Horniac

17-Jul-19
^^^Unless it’s in one of the areas of national forest where shooting guns or bows is illegal except when hunting it’s very true

17-Jul-19
Not sure how bows are viewed legally, but you can open carry a firearm in a National Park. Several National Parks and National Monuments that could open some interesting possibilities in Colorado...

• Sitka Gear