Jaquomo 18-Jul-19
BULELK1 19-Jul-19
wildwilderness 19-Jul-19
SD BuckBuster 19-Jul-19
Darrell 21-Jul-19
midwest 21-Jul-19
ElkNut1 21-Jul-19
17-Jul-19
Say you are hunting next to a unit boundary or even a state line and hit a bull. You know it is a good hit but the bull made a death run straight towards and across a boundary where you are not legal to hunt. I know, many will say "I wouldn't hunt that close to a line," but I will just tell you up front, most of us will, especially if we have chased the bull for a long distance and didn't realize we had gotten that close to the boundary.

Choose an option or provide your own:

A) Turn on your location information on your phone, take pictures from where you shot, where the bull was standing and where you find first blood. Then trail, quarter, and haul out as if everything was normal.

B) Call a game warden and then do A)

C) Other

17-Jul-19
A. No need to call the game warden if I didn't do anything illegal but good idea to take the precautions noted just in case. I would also mark waypoints for all the above.

17-Jul-19
I think taking the precautions you noted would be very smart.

As far as hunting close. . . . I hunted a unit in Nevada where Idaho was just a skip away. One night I got on a bull, and eventually spooked him, and he ran (with his 18 cows), straight across a draw, a measured (by GPS) mile and a half into Idaho. Hopefully a hit bull wouldn't travel that far. But it sure didn't take him long to cover that distance as I watched.

17-Jul-19
After having been indirectly involved with people being in areas they aren't supposed to be in...I would do B before A...Even though you think you may have not done anything wrong, that can change the moment you cross into protected areas or areas where you do not have permission to be...I know in some states you cannot legally trespass onto private land even if you shot the animal on public. You have to get the land owners permission to retrieve your animal...Not sure how that works if crossing into another GMU where you are not legally able to hunt...or how it works crossing into a park or other non-hunting areas...I would go the safe route and call the Game Warden and tell them what is going on and then follow their instructions...

17-Jul-19
I would call the game warden before I stepped foot over the line.

Had this happen when a friend shot a buck 100 yards from a National Monument fence on private land we have access to. The buck jumped the fence and piled up 20 yards onto the monument. We called the game warden and waited for him to show up. When he showed up he clearly saw the blood trail, called the monument people and then jumped over the fence and drug the buck back to us.

17-Jul-19
I would for surely field dress and if totally necessary, quarter the animal to prevent wanton waste. Then move to CYA and notifying the authorities.

17-Jul-19
Do I have cell service where I stand or not? Backcountry situation? How far away is a warden logistically? Lots of things to consider. In a backcountry situation I likely do A and then do B after caring for the game animal. If its a more "civilized" area then I absolutely do B before I consider anything else. I guess my answer is "it depends".

17-Jul-19
If it were a State Boundary issue on public land, I would mark any and all obvious blood on the correct side of the boundary, enough so I could easily back trail it for a warden if the situation came up.

Private land is another story. I'd make an effort to contact the landowner or game warden before trespassing.

17-Jul-19
Seems like everyone assumes we all carry smart phones and there is service?

17-Jul-19
I’d leave my bow and go work up the bull, then I’d call the warden.

17-Jul-19
I’d go get the bull. If it is as you say, there’d be proof he was shot where he was.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to verify that with your phone. But, a track on your gps or phone is really not proof of anything. Only the blood and sign from a shot and his trail is truly undeniable. sign.

Sometimes common sense is the winner. Sometimes it isn’t. But, I expect that outta people so, I give it in return.

17-Jul-19
Definitely call the warden. To easy to get in big trouble quick!

17-Jul-19
Seems like a famous elk bowhunter got in big trouble for that a few years ago on the ID/MT border...

17-Jul-19
I’d throw that bull over my shoulder and carry it back across the line.

17-Jul-19
It was Glen Berry Lou!

17-Jul-19
Yep, I knew that, didn't want to besmirch him on here because there were three sides to that story. But he got in trouble in the end.

17-Jul-19
I would call the local game warden or sheriff first and advise them of the situation. If they green light you, leave your bow or gun behind and go retrieve the elk. If they tell you no, then you're covered if a charge of wanton waste or poaching comes out of the wood work should someone else find the rotten elk with your arrow in it and trace it back to you. Either way, write down the dates and names of the LE person(s) who advised you for future reference....old military saying...if it ain't documented, it doesn't exist.

17-Jul-19
I’d do B. A different scenario, but was rifle hunting antelope in Wy with a friend a few years back. He had buck and doe tag and had shot his buck.He stalked and shot what he thought was a doe, but it was a second buck. We debated quickly quartering and getting the hell out of dodge. But e called the local warden. He had us meet him in nearest town. He separated us and got our stories. Then he gave my friend a special tag for the extra buck and said be more careful next time.

17-Jul-19
I would shoot another one.

18-Jul-19
A until the boundary then B.

18-Jul-19
Forget the wind just hunt. As long as I know I’m legal I’m carrying on. I’m not one to call the cops on anyone including myself.

18-Jul-19
Some of you seem to think that where it was shot allows you to trespass. If it gets to an area where you can't legally hunt, you can't legally retrieve it without getting permission from the controlling party.

18-Jul-19
My situation this year is that I will be hunting on the border of two states with only a tag in one. Public land on both sides of the border and I will actually be hiking in from the state I don't have a tag for. (Yes, I have already talked with the authority for the public land I will be hiking through and it is perfectly legal and I won't be the first or only person doing it.) Cell coverage is only on the very tops of certain ridge and they are a long ways from the state line. Hopefully my bull will drop within site which will easily be on the legal side. However, its hunting so you never know.

18-Jul-19
CYA. A- If you are hiking from public land to public land, you are not trespassing. If you hike across state line, you are hiking and retrieving game. If you tote your weapon across the stateline, the law may construe that as hunting. (My opinion only) But I would call game warden before season. Ask for their recommendation. They likely have dealt with this issue before. (And he/she might offer you some intel!)

18-Jul-19
Like MP and I said, if I know I'm legal, I'm not calling the law. I'm not going to trespass on private ground and I'm going to know the law regarding game retrieval before I would consider hunting that close to a unit or state boundary.

18-Jul-19
Call warden, landowners or whoever first. Cover your arse. Ziek x2

18-Jul-19
Remember, if you mess around on the state line and something goes haywire, it becomes a federal issue, violation of the Lacey Act. That's a felony.

I used to hunt around the fringe of RMNP until I found out how it works. If I shot a bull that went into the (unmarked) boundary of the Park, I couldn't even blood trail it until a NPS LEO came to investigate. May take a couple days for one to arrive. I was told. On top of that, the NPS boundary has changed a couple times and older maps/chips still show the old boundary. I decided the opportunity wasn't worth the hassle.

19-Jul-19
I'd use my tracking tape and leave some from where I shot, the hit spot on the animal and any along the blood tracking on branches or brush and once it actually crossed over, I'd make it heavily marked and then make contact with the law or land owner.

Good luck, Robb

19-Jul-19
I have friends who were fined and lost hunting privileges for years! One group for crossing state lines to retrieve game, and Another for trespassing 10yards to retrieve a bull. It is always illegal to cross into those areas- another unit, another state, or private without permission. It doesn't matter where you initially shot from, but where it died.

Personally I lost a nice 5x5 OTC bull one year because of it. Like the OP said I was working a herd and finally got a shot on the bull much closer to the private line than I thought. blood trailed to the line and stopped. Called the contact for the land owner and Warden- said it was private so do what they say. The Land owner security decided NOT to let me pursue it and that was that. I don't think he even looked for it himself because he didn't want to get out of the truck..... But not worth the fine or loosing hunting for 5 yrs....

I

19-Jul-19
It's no big deal until it's a really big one. THEN it is a BIG Deal.

State record, I call the warden.

380? I cut & butt.

21-Jul-19
I talked with the game warden for area in the state in which I don't have a tag. He said to mark it well, take some pics and go take care of the meat. He said he would only need to be contacted if the animal needed a finishing shot on the wrong side of the border. (And only do that if the animal is down but not quite dead) so sounds like I will stick to plan A if I end up in that situation, at least in this area. Talking with the Game warden ahead of time was a good call. He said he appreciated me thinking ahead about it and had some helpful suggestions.

21-Jul-19
That's good news, Darrell.

21-Jul-19
You get a warden involved & you are Guilty until proven innocent!

Not saying to break the law by any means but be very careful in including them if not needed! It will only take you one incident to see what I'm talking about! Be careful out there!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear