pav 18-Jul-19
APauls 18-Jul-19
Bou'bound 18-Jul-19
Grey Ghost 18-Jul-19
Vonfoust 18-Jul-19
Grey Ghost 18-Jul-19
Davenj8 19-Jul-19
17-Jul-19
Anyone have any feedback on these? I'm new to hunting and have a lower poundage now. I got the broadheads for my birthday. Thanks for any help!

17-Jul-19
You're gonna get a lot of guys recommending the broadhead they shoot and use. However,move been shooting the g5 Montec for several years now, all with excellent results. I've never bent one, never had one fail me, and never had any issues sharpening them. They're not noisy in flight, and a lot of guys use them on everything from whitetails, elk and bear. Good heads.

17-Jul-19
Sharpen them before you hunt with them! They are one of the dullest heads out today out of the package!

ElkNut/Paul

17-Jul-19
They will do awesome for you! Have fun

17-Jul-19
They’ll work! Get them sharp and stick something.

17-Jul-19
Lady Bowhunter (Millie) and I have used Montec CS 100s since they hit the market.

They're very reliable. Early Montec (stainless) were sharp, thought not as scary sharp as the CS version.

The key is to sharpen them on a flat sharpening steel or stone, then using a leather strap to polish it.

Good luck.

17-Jul-19
I have not used the Montec but have used the G5 striker and they were deadly. I wouldn’t be afraid of using a G5 product again either.

I’m using a vpa head now but that is for the added weight and durability.

Good luck this season

17-Jul-19
There's a YouTube "how to sharpen a g5 montec" (March 2011) where one of the Company owners demo how to sharpen the montec.

The technique shown us what's been working for us since 2003.

17-Jul-19
I’ve got CS 100 heads that have killed a lot of critters, and they just keep killing. Just learn how to sharpen them. I didn’t care for the stainless version. Never could get them as sharp as I like.

Matt

18-Jul-19
Been shooting 125gr G5 Montecs for many years. Never had a reason to switch.

18-Jul-19
I'm surprised at the positive comments on them here, since most conversations regarding the Montecs in the past have had lots of negative comments about lack of sharpness, difficulty in sharpening and poor blood trails. I have experienced all of these things, and am not a fan of them. I too would recommend one of their other heads with replaceable razors before this particular head. They do fly well, and I have experienced very good customer service from G5 on other items, however.

18-Jul-19
I’ve had good luck with them, I also highly recommend the Cs version since it’s much easier to sharpen.

18-Jul-19
Not a fan of them myself and have taken several deer with them. Much better options out there for an affordable fixed blade.

18-Jul-19
Not a fan. Dull out of the package. Shot 1 black bear and several deer, all had minimum blood trails, but they did kill.

I switched back to Thunderheads.

18-Jul-19
Switched to VPA a few years ago and couldn't be happier for the same price.

18-Jul-19
I’ll be happy to take any carbon steel 100 G5’s off the hands of you “non-fans” for shipping costs. :-)

Matt

18-Jul-19
Love the company. Didn't have a good overall experience with these heads, at least the stainless ones. Flew great, tuned easily, and I followed all the sharpening instructions. Shot 3 deer with them. Lost the blood trail on one(not my best shot however), One drop of blood on the other(double lung...went 35 yards). It was snowy, so easy to track, then one more that I watched die in sight. So they kill just fine, just wasn't impressed with the blood trail performance.

18-Jul-19
Matt,

I keep one in the quiver for yotes and other varmints.

18-Jul-19
Guess I've always been one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guys? First broadheads were 1970's Satellites. Switched to Thunderheads sometime in the 80's due to the thin brittle blades on the Satellites. Grew less and less fond of Thunderhead accuracy by the mid 90's (my fault really, just didn't know it at the time). At that point, I tried everything I could get my hands on...including mechanicals. Ultimately went back to Thunderheads for a few years until this new company called G5 came out with a single piece head called Montecs. Bought a pack and they flew like darts. Had to learn how to sharpen them, but that was really no big deal. The critters I've shot over the past roughly 18 years....sized from turkeys up to moose would probably argue against them being junk. There may well be "better" heads on the market today...as technology doesn't stand still, but again, Montecs have never given me a reason the switch. Like Grey Ghost said, I would be happy to take any 125gr Montecs off your hands for the price of shipping!

18-Jul-19
Borrowed one from a friend to target shoot and practice. Didn't sharpen nice for me, wasn't very impressed, never bought any. It also came out of a deer that my buddy killed with a rifle so maybe it had bad mojo ;)

18-Jul-19
I don't like them. felt cheap and dull to me. Had one on an arrow 12 years ago. took one shot with one. hit one bear with one. he died in 30 yards. never shot another one and got rid of the head as I thought it was tough to sharpen and was fragile. decision clearly not based on results but totally on personal preference.

18-Jul-19
Not sure why you guys had problems sharpening the G5s. Were you using the carbon steel version? I will agree, the stainless version doesn't take an edge well, but the carbons sharpen just fine for me.

PAV, you and I have traveled much the same path. I bounced around to the latest and greatest heads for several years, including mechanicals. Once I started shooting the CS G5s, I've never had a reason to look elsewhere.

Matt

18-Jul-19
Had one package of Montecs that were a mess, possibly the knockoffs but I did buy them at a box store and not on Amazon etc. The point was ground different on all three sides, it was noticeable. In fact I took pics and posted them somewhere. Then I personally was already on VPA before the CS versions came out (or at least before I knew about them), was happy with VPA, and just like most on here if it ain't broke don't fix it.

18-Jul-19
Well, I think it's important to be specific about which G5 we are talking about. I have a handful of the stainless G5s that I use for tuning and target practice, because they don't sharpen up well. I save my carbon steel G5s for hunting.

I prefer carbon steel knives for hunting too, always have. Stainless knives belong in the kitchen, IMO.

Matt

19-Jul-19
I used them for a season but switched to the strikers. Too much aggravation to sharpen them - they are dull

• Sitka Gear