WapitiBob 30-Jul-19
Helgermite 30-Jul-19
WapitiBob 30-Jul-19
BULELK1 31-Jul-19
3under 31-Jul-19
YZF-88 31-Jul-19
19-Jul-19
Inspect your arrows folks!!!!

Had one of my old carbon express arrows break today. Back half went into my hand. Just a tad uncomfortable! Must have been cracked from stump shooting. Usually use FMJ’s.

Worst of all, I put a hole in my brand new glove.

19-Jul-19
Sorry to hear....nightmare.

19-Jul-19
"Stump" may be the wrong word. More like shrubs and patches of dense vegetation and creek bed sand/mud clumps. No matter what. Dumb move on my part.

Back from the ER now. No surgery but they didn't sew up the hole. More pieces need to work themselves out.

19-Jul-19
No pics and it didn't happen. Dang brother heal up quick! That coulda been worse.

19-Jul-19
Keep getting a server error trying to load pics.

19-Jul-19
Damn Jason!!!

Heal up well and fast man

Good luck, Robb

19-Jul-19
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I too have always shot FMJ, and before that aluminum, so I'm not used to checking the carbons for damage. I recently bought some carbons for the first time and used them to take a few animals. It goes against my natural instincts, being an aluminum shooter, to bend an arrow on purpose. How much bend do I need to do in order to check them properly, and will it be obvious if there's a problem? What specifically am I looking for or listening for?

19-Jul-19
I was always taught to twist suspect carbon arrow and listen for cracks. I've had some launch that sounded funny and they turned out to be cracked. Glad ya didn't get hurt too bad and it was only your hand and not some other place. Pics??

19-Jul-19
Ouch. Good reminder.

19-Jul-19
Stick, if you flex them you'll hear the cracking. I also shoot FMJ's but my kids shot carbon for a long time and my youngest still does. I taught them early on to flex them every time they hit the dirt or slapped them in the target face. My boy didn't one time and I asked to see his arrow. I flexed it and sure enough it cracked. Then I showed him a picture of what could happen. I don't think I've ever had to remind him again!

Wishing you a speedy recovery YZF!

19-Jul-19
Why i still use aluminum.

Terry

19-Jul-19
Hopefully you recover quickly, Jason!

19-Jul-19
I hope you heal up fast Jason! I hear you on the FMJs. I've been shooting them and ACCs for a long time now. I used to worry about blow ups back when I shot all carbon shafts.

19-Jul-19
Good advice YZF-88. I was lucky and only ruined my bowstring when my bow derailed just like a dryfire. I couldn't find the arrow until months later. The carbon arrow failed just in front of the nock apparently from being hit by a field point. Now I try to check my arrows after every target round at least visually. Sorry for your painful experience and hope you are well soon........Badbull

19-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Looks like pictures are loading now.

20-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Fake smile!

20-Jul-19
Darn, hope it heals fast and well!

20-Jul-19
FMJ

20-Jul-19
How much was that glove??!

Scary stuff....your're lucky and should heal quickly! Lots of functionally important mechanical components in that part of your hand.....

20-Jul-19
Scary Stuff! Happy to hear your doing well, you got very lucky!

God Bless and I hope you heal fast!

20-Jul-19
Speedy recovery! I've shot FMJ's for several years. Was thinking about play with another setup and using regular Axis but will probably continue with the FMJ'S after seeing your pics....lol.

20-Jul-19
Thanks for the heads up.. heal well and soon.

20-Jul-19
Nasty... best wishes for a fast recovery.

20-Jul-19
Dang man hoping for a speedy recovery!

20-Jul-19
Ouch....I bet that hurt pretty bad.

20-Jul-19
Geez. Thanks for the reminder! Sorry you had to go through that!

26-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Something didn’t seem right so I saw a hand surgeon Tuesday.

Just got back from surgery now. Tendon was 95% cut. Found lots more arrow pieces. Early bow season over. Super bummed. At least I got this cool piece of foam.

26-Jul-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
More pieces and shredded tendon.

26-Jul-19
Dang man sorry about your season hope you heal quick

26-Jul-19
Considering you had a catastrophic arrow failure, it could have been alot worse....maybe a face or eye wound.

26-Jul-19
That's a bummer!

26-Jul-19
Damn get well soon.

I don’t remember who posted the last thread here about putting a carbon arrow in their hand but ever since seeing that I flex my arrows multiple times before shooting . This just reinforces it. Think I’ll buy FMJ’s next.

27-Jul-19
Wishing a speedy recovery

27-Jul-19
DAAAY UM. Lucky and unlucky at the same time.

27-Jul-19
Sorry! But you do have a new pink target.

27-Jul-19
Hope that tendon comes all of the way back. What do the doctors say about your recovery time? I feel for you.

28-Jul-19
Recovery time is 6+ weeks. Gonna miss opening day of deer season. That hurts worse than an arrow! Might turn in my elk tag. We’ll see. Just glad I got into a surgeon so fast. They were very accommodating.

29-Jul-19

Keith in colorado's embedded Photo
Keith in colorado's embedded Photo
Get a Pro TX Kevlar shooting glove! Will save ya allot of pain!

29-Jul-19

Scar Finga's Link
Thinking about getting on of these, a little insurance can go a LOOOOONG Way!

WATCH THE VIDEOS AT THIS LINK!!

30-Jul-19
I've read that arrow manufacturers recommend you test bend each arrow every time after you pull it from a target. Is this sufficient enough to find a cracked carbon arrow before it ends up in your hand? I ask as that's what I've been doing to my carbon arrows for years now. Never found a bad arrow yet so I'm concerned maybe it's not a good enough test.

30-Jul-19
I have a similar scar on the finger side of my thumb finger joint from when I was about 5 years old. I still remember noticing the cracked wooden shaft, but decided to shoot it anyway. At least it was only a toy bow, not a hunting compound. ;-)

30-Jul-19
Common sense, running the arrows between your fingers, and a bend test will work just fine. A bend test on a side shafted carbon usually won't make any sound, you'll see it if you happen to be looking in the right spot, but you'll always feel it with your fingers.

30-Jul-19
If you bend and twist a bad carbon shaft, will it just be a single tic sound or will you hear it continually creak during the bent twisting?

30-Jul-19
Depends on what’s wrong with it. A lot of times they’ll just snap in in half as soon as you start to twist. On a side shafted arrow, the layers will separate and you’ll feel the depression. If you bend it so the hit is on the compression side of the bend, the outer carbon layer will bow outward and you’ll see it protrude. I haven’t heard very many side shafted arrows make noise when bending them, that’s why I always run arrows between my thumb, index, and middle finger tips.

30-Jul-19
What is meant by "side shafted"? I shoot Carbon Express Maxima Red Hunters.

30-Jul-19
Too many arrows into too small of a space, a point may crush the sidewall of another arrow.

31-Jul-19
How ya healing up Jason?

No infection or anything like that I hope!!!

Keep the faith man,

Robb

31-Jul-19
Damn.. can't believe hospital didn't pick up on the tendon.. do you think you'll be able to hunt this year? 's surgeon saying ?

31-Jul-19
It's getting better pain wise. I don't get the splint off until 8/5. Not sure what rehab or range of motion will be like. I hear 6 weeks. Given the fact that deer starts on 8/17, that's probably a no-go...but I'll certainly try within reason. Haven't missed an opening day since 2004.

Needless to say, I haven't been doing any kettle bell workouts. Can't run or lift because the blood pumping through it hurts like crazy. A little less today though.

• Sitka Gear