Dyjack 21-Jul-19
BowYoda 22-Jul-19
Dyjack 22-Jul-19
plough 03-Aug-19
pcf 03-Aug-19
BigMo 06-Aug-19
TexasBuck 09-Aug-19
20-Jul-19
Soooo, lucky me hit the lottery .... I pulled a tag as a non-res in The Valles Caldera for September 1-14. Has anyone here had the privilege to hunt or help in there?? And would you care to divulge any info? If it was "open" every year so to speak, I wouldn't ask to give up a honey hole, but given the circumstances of the place and my age its a once in a lifetime draw. I spent a day on a bike riding thru the place a month ago. Any info is greatly appreciated

20-Jul-19
The whole place is a "honey hole"

20-Jul-19
I was fortunate to kill a 333 bull a few years back... I hear there are a lot of elk in there but I'd like to try and take a 340+ in there. Are there enough of those better Bulls in there to pass a good 300" bull

20-Jul-19
From my experience the VC is one of the few places that you can pass on a 300” bull and have a good chance at something bigger. Like every it just depends on if the elk are in your particular area. The VC is huge but you don’t get to hunt all of it.

20-Jul-19
Phenomenal tag, congrats! Don't let the logistics wear you down, naps are your friend.

20-Jul-19
Congrats on the tag....super jelly!

21-Jul-19
Shoot the BIG ONE !

21-Jul-19
BSBD From my experience the VC is one of the few places that you can pass on a 300” bull and have a good chance at something bigger. Like every it just depends on if the elk are in your particular area. The VC is huge but you don’t get to hunt all of it.

When I was out there a month ago I was told they are just going to turn us loose after the orientation... No more sub-units

21-Jul-19
There's no subunits. But they will give you a map that says off limits areas. Which one will be the meadow you see all the elk in.

22-Jul-19
Dyjack, Ive def heard this a few times..lol. Like hanging out right in front of the check in building ????

22-Jul-19
The entire meadow area that you can see from the road. My buddy sent me his map of his hunt last year. Basically anywhere a tourist could easily watch you kill something looked off limits.

03-Aug-19
I took my wife there in 2014...muzzleloader guided....we never saw a bull in the mornings...the evenings were something else...you better be set up at a waterhole by 230pm...the screaming is unbelievable...my wife was outa shape, sore knee, and 59 years old...she "let" a 380 walk away cuz she couldn't get positioned...long story short she killed a 300 that was old and needed to be culled...super mass 6x5 with scarred shoulder from many battles...I drew the same hunt this year...ive hired an outfitter that uses the former superintendent of vc for my guide...cant wait

03-Aug-19
When I hunted there many years ago, it was divided in areas. I drew area 8 which was great. I don't know how it is done now.

06-Aug-19
More than glad to help man. I sent you a private message

09-Aug-19
Tried to send you a PM but not sure you got it. PM me.

• Sitka Gear