t-roy 22-Jul-19
Ambush 22-Jul-19
t-roy 22-Jul-19
Habitat 22-Jul-19
Hiker 22-Jul-19
Mike-TN 22-Jul-19
BullBuster 23-Jul-19
22-Jul-19
Rye seed just needs contact with soil and lots of water. It is easy to grow and does not need to be worked into the soil. Shawn

22-Jul-19
Shawn x2^^ You can grow rye on a cinder block if you get enough moisture.

You can seed it a little heavy, too. That will help increase the number of seeds that do sprout. Rye is pretty cheap.

22-Jul-19
What’s the difference between fall rye and winter rye?

22-Jul-19
About 2 months ;-)

22-Jul-19
You want to make sure it dies and doesn't seed out or every farmer in area will be hunting you,

22-Jul-19
I have a food plot of Durana clover that I planted last September with winter rye. I let the rye self-terminate the summer heat. The deer wiped out most of the rye that was left standing . The clover is looking pretty good right now (needs Rain) so do I over seed with more rye, leave just the clover or will the seed from the cover crop grow more rye?

22-Jul-19
Scoot, Most seed do need to be worked into the soil at varying depths. However, some will germinate and grow well with no tillage. Winter wheat and rye will germinate very well by just broadcasting onto bare dirt. Germination will be greatly enhanced with a good rain. Several days of rain will give you great germination in my experience. As others said.... winter rye will grow about anywhere and I usually keep a pretty good stand in the bed of my truck. Mike

23-Jul-19
Fall rye = winter rye.

23-Jul-19
Scoot,

I have had good luck mowing rye grain in the spring after maturity in a field I used it for a cover crop with clover. I have had solid results of the seed that falls from mowing germinating the next fall when moisture conditions allow. It will not be any where as good of a stand as the original that was planted in the soil, but good enough that I do not over seed.

I planted 4 acres of clover last year with rye grain, and just recently moved it. I will try and remember to post a picture this fall.

GL!

• Sitka Gear