badguybuster 26-Jul-19
Sean D. 26-Jul-19
Huntskifishcook 26-Jul-19
arlone 27-Jul-19
Fuzzy 29-Jul-19
Grubby 29-Jul-19
24-Jul-19
For backstraps and hindquarters.

I have a Traeger and a pressure cooker. Thinking maybe a brine and smoke one of the backstraps. What are some of your favorite brines, and various recipes????

24-Jul-19
Put bear meat on cedar shingle - cook at 350 for 1.5hrs - remove meat from shingle - eat shingle

24-Jul-19
Lol^^^

24-Jul-19
That recipe works on coot as well.

I hade a friend can some for me years ago. No idea on what he did, but it was excellent table fare. Really good over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.

24-Jul-19
I've browned steaks and chops in a pressure cooker then lock it down for 45 minutes with cream of mushroom soup as the liquid and serve with mashed potatoes. Not bad.

24-Jul-19
Any stew recipe with bear meat is really good. Bear burger, making tacos or whatever burger recipes you would usually use regular burger in.

I love to cut into stew meat and then coat in flour and season salt and make bear nuggets.

Our family loves bear meat. Probably the most over looked meat there is. I think it’s a dirty shame that a lot of states don’t make you take the meat.

24-Jul-19
Prefer ground bear for pasta, tacos, chili, meat balls etc. don’t do a lot of whole muscle.

25-Jul-19
I give away bear meat, never had any of those people ask for more. It's just not that good.

25-Jul-19
Make meatball with half deer meat

25-Jul-19
Breakfast sausage comes out good when made with bear meat.

25-Jul-19
One of my most requested bear recipes is Corned Bear. Usually served with cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Get the recipe from Morton Salt. - https://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-deli-style-corned-beef/.

Bear meat is one of my favorites - usually very tender and mild though it is rich. Treat it like pork or make Burgers, roasts, etc.

25-Jul-19
Back straps are just great for butterfly steaks. Do mine on the bbq then fry sliced onions, mushrooms, and bacon bits to put on top. Drizzle some sweet bbq sauce on top and good too go. Quarters are great for burger or you could cube it about 1/2 lb chunks and do any pulled pork recipe.

Bear meat is great, most people with bad experiences with it didn’t properly remove all the fat. It will ruin the flavour.

25-Jul-19
I haven't eaten bear in quite a while Justin, but would like to take one this fall for the meat. From what I gather some people really love it. But when it really comes down to it, when you follow those through and what those people really do with it, it seems that it gets used in the highly processed varieties of meat; ie sausage and ground etc. Of the people that enjoy eating bear meat, few enjoy a straight "steak on the barbie" type bear meat. If you read the above, there is more of that. Ground meat, breakfast sausage, etc. Stuff where in all honestly I don't feel like meat is really judged. But that's OK, it's the same reason I want to take one and grind the whole thing up. That way I don't need to grind any of my good stuff ;) I'd rather eat a moose steak off a front shoulder than a deer steak from a backstrap if you know what I mean.

25-Jul-19
The only bear I have eaten was steaks and I found not much difference than deer I found I think it all depends what there eating. One thing about bear get the guts out as fast as u can they get ronchy quick.

25-Jul-19

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Bear Hunting Magazine has section called “Bruin in the Kitchen”, there is at least one recipe each month and for that alone is worth the subscription. BTW most have to do with whole meat recipes not the “ground up” stuff. I keep all mine just for the recipes, although I haven't hunted bear in several years.

25-Jul-19
Cure and Smoke rear into hams. DELICIOUS! Best ham around. Bear is far better than deer. I grind/stew meat whole deer and id much rather have bear steak.

Sage pairs well with bear. For guests ill cube it and dust with flour,paprika, mustard powder, sage and pepper. Fry em up and squeeze some lemon juice on em.

Everyone that doesnt get all whiny about it being bear and actually tries it really likes it. Ive had dozens of people ask for seconds and zero complaints so......

25-Jul-19
Best bear meat I ever tasted was canned, using just salt and water.

Tender and delicious, you could have made anything with it.

25-Jul-19
Eating Bear meat summer sausage as I read this. It's great! Steaks on the grill are real good too. Canned any type of meat is fantastic, including Bear. My buddy smokes the hams and they are awesome.

25-Jul-19
get the fat off. grind it with raw bacon added as your grind. That will add back the right fat which will give it moisture and you will get some flavor of bacon when cooked.

25-Jul-19
Bear can be great or terrible. It depends what they have been feeding on lately. If ones been hitting an old carcass you can have that one, greens,corn,ect., should be good! Jmo

25-Jul-19
The meat I had from one of mine was good. I'd eat it again.

25-Jul-19
We've usually cooked it in a slow cooker like Italian Beef or pulled pork. Both ways have come out awsome.

25-Jul-19
I do burger have the hoots smoke a back ham and render all the fat it has can’t beat it for what ever you put Crisco or other lard in great for chapped hands or water proofing boots guns you name it.

25-Jul-19
Does bear fat contain the trichinosis disease?

25-Jul-19
That’s a good question I hope not cause I render on very low heat. Been eating it for 5 years hasn’t killed me yet. Bad deal to make a blueberry pie crust and kill the family.

25-Jul-19
Reach out to Fuzzy that man could take an old boot and turn it into slap ya grandma silly good!

25-Jul-19
I like bear meat slow cooked in crockpot as a roast. For whitetail I love bacon wrapped back straps but bear done this way was not good. All roasts or sausage on future bears

25-Jul-19
Cool it outside the smell will run u out.. I eat very little of the nasty things...bout the only way I’ll eat it is made into jerky it’s not but half bad made into jerky just use your favorite jerky recipe

26-Jul-19
I like bear meat better then venison. Steaks, chops and burger on the grill.

26-Jul-19
Try a beef burgundy recipe with bear. One of the best meals I've ever eaten, and I know my food.

26-Jul-19
Wish I could find the recipe but I smoked a hind quarter to medium and then cut it up and put it in green chile. Man was that good. The chile, the bearmeat - it was very flavorful. Some of the best green chile I've ever had.

26-Jul-19
Salt, pepper, and a wood fire. Simple and delicious. I know they say to make sure you cook bear WELL DONE, but that's exactly what makes it taste like crap...and the reason bear meat gets a bad rap. If you want good bear cook it medium at most! I like mine medium rare and have been eating it that way for years...so far it hasn't affect affect affect affected me;)

26-Jul-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
Butterfly the backstrap and then butterfly again. Roll it down with a heavy rolling pin. Smear ricotta cheese on the inside. Add spinach, bell peppers, onions and banana or jalapeno peppers. Roll it up and tie closed. Sear like you would a steak and then place in the oven at 325 for 2 hours.

26-Jul-19
Salt and pepper the steaks and throw it on the grill

26-Jul-19
Trichinella dies at 137. I usually cook mine to mid 140's just to be on the safe side, but if you have a sous vide machine you can set it to 140 (again just to be safe) and hold it for a couple hours to ensure every single portion of meat reaches the minimum temp. I've given bear and cooked bear for a ton of non hunters and every single person has said it's one of the best meats they have ever eaten. Skinning the bear the moment you find it dead will go a long way in quickly releasing body heat and maintaining clean flavor profiles.

27-Jul-19
My favorite ways were, pot roast with French onion soup mix and whatever vegetables you like and bear stew.

29-Jul-19
brine them with 1 pound of salt and 2 pounds brown suger in dissolved 3 gallons of warm water (add ice then refrigerate) overnight.... then hot-smoke in the Traeger

29-Jul-19
I love bear meat. I take all the steaks and roasts I can and burger the rest. I’ll also save the fat for lard. Wish I could get a tag every year.

• Sitka Gear