Lost Arra 26-Jul-19
stringgunner 26-Jul-19
WapitiBob 26-Jul-19
stringgunner 26-Jul-19
Lost Arra 27-Jul-19
wytex 29-Jul-19
stringgunner 29-Jul-19
25-Jul-19
My dad and I drew Wyoming elks tags this year. Took 12 years. I have a question about the HMA’s.

If the HMA’s don’t have an archery permission slip, say the HMA opens in late November for antlerless elk hunting, but there is public road access to NF land, BLM and wy state land within the HMA boundary during September Archery season, can we hunt that public land during archery season?

I have an email into WYGF but haven’t heard back from them yet. So was curious if any one here knows?

25-Jul-19
I checked on this very thing last year. I was looking at a water hole to sit on for pronghorn that was on state land. The state parcel was enrolled in an HMA, but it did have public road access. I assumed it would be okay, but figured I would check with WGFD. I was told that no, I could not hunt this area without HMA permission because these lands were enrolled in the HMA, and therefore HMA permission was required. I do not know if this is standard for all HMAs, so it might be good to wait for a response from WGFD before you rely on my experience. Best of luck.

25-Jul-19
Thanks Smithkt55. Curious, Was it an HMA that allowed for antelope hunting during the antelope season you were hunting?

It’s difficult to understand how the HMA’s are a positive thing if they are able to lock up even more public land from otherwise huntable public land. Thinking of all the state land/blm/nf that is accessible during regular seasons but because it’s enrolled in a HMA for an antlerless elk hunt in November it’s not available during archery season.

26-Jul-19
Maybe a better way to ask the question...are HMA’s only in affect for the specific dates in which they have specific tags?

26-Jul-19
Call Jason Sherwood in the Laramie office. I believe he’s the access coordinator for 7.

26-Jul-19
Thanks Wapitibob. I will give him a call

26-Jul-19
The rules for the HMA November antlerless elk hunt do not apply to September archery hunting. I hunt an area that is both public and private (I have permission) in Sept and it is involved in the HMA November cow hunt program. There are no HMA hunters crossing private land in Sept without specific permission. Most of the public land can be reached by foot (or better yet, horse) without crossing private land but it is one hell of a hike to get to it.

26-Jul-19
Thanks Lost Arra. That is what I also was thinking and trying to figure out. The HMA’s that have archery specific rules apply during Archery season, but the HMA ‘s without archery specific permission slips, if the public land is accessible, you can hunt it? I believe that is what you are saying?

26-Jul-19
Jason told me that if I could legally access public land, I didn't need a permission slip. However, I don't remember the context of my question to him; ie if it was regarding a walk-in area or an HMA. That's why i suggested you contact him directly. Should you desire to email a G&F employee; all WY govt employees have the same email syntax. First dot Last @wyo.gov

26-Jul-19
I emailed him specifically. Hopefully he will get back to me either by email or phone when he can.

27-Jul-19
As WapitiBob mentioned, you don't need permission in September as long as you are accessing only public land but the November HMA permission tag allows you to cross the adjacent private land but only in November and without motorized vehicles, at least in the area I hunt. That HMA permission is not permission for September.

29-Jul-19
If a public road goes through the HMA and up into public land you are good, but if the public lands are only accessed by going through an HMA without a public road then you must have a permission slip for the HMA to cross it. The GW will also know the answer. Which area are you looking at, pm is fine? I live in Laramie so if it's around here I may know the answer or the right person to ask.

29-Jul-19
Wytex- PM sent.

• Sitka Gear