fubar racin 07-Aug-19
GF 07-Aug-19
fubar racin 07-Aug-19
yooper89 07-Aug-19
DarrinG 08-Aug-19
27-Jul-19

fubar racin's embedded Photo
After a few years and some help from Jaquamo I finally got my grandads old recurve fixed and am finally healed up enough to shoot it! I feel like the compound might start gathering dust soon!

27-Jul-19
Gone over to the dark side.

27-Jul-19
When its all said and done, the amount of satisfaction you get, will far outweigh the effort put forth.

27-Jul-19
Looks like a fine start.

Just wait til you figure out how easy it is....

28-Jul-19
Haha right now I think easy stops at 7 yards and it stops at about 25 arrows when my shoulder starts screaming and my arm goes numb. I’m healed up enough to shoot but definitely not healed.

28-Jul-19

First 3 this morning!

28-Jul-19
Lookn good man! keep it up!

28-Jul-19
You're "hooked".

28-Jul-19
Sweet!!!l keep rolling...looks like your in the zone,..

28-Jul-19
Set up a range at the house today so I can continue shooting every day after work try to keep improving my shooting and my shoulder. Gunna be a Colorado mule deer in a whole lot of trouble next season!

31-Jul-19
I’m seriously starting to think I might be able to do this. Starting to believe that I can get it done with this stick... starting to consider leaving the compound at home even...

02-Aug-19
Sticks are an addiction. I gave up the wheels almost 20 years ago. Just getting back to shooting after 3 years of heart issues and fighting stage IV cancer. The arc of the arrow was never so beautiful.

03-Aug-19
Man I’m glad to hear your doing better and can shoot again. I love hearing stories of people coming back from something like that and getting to do what they love again!

03-Aug-19
Good luck and keep up the practice, no other weapon is as satisfying to kill with IMO. I love being able to shoot from awkward positions if needed. And carrying one still-hunting is a lot nicer, too. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

plenty coups, that's great to hear as well!

04-Aug-19
Is the recurve nicer to carry? Iv been thinking it’s going to be harder, it’s way lighter than my compound but it’s also 66” long seems like it’s going to be a pain to maneuver quietly with the recurve.

04-Aug-19
My latest bow Is a Toelke Pika. 56" and a dream to shoot. Weighs less than a pound unless you use a bow quiver. I mounted a Great Northern strap on and it is still light as a feather and a dream to shoot.

04-Aug-19
Nice shooting. Recurves can be addicting! And just fun to shoot! Good luck with it.

05-Aug-19
It’s only 66” one way.

You’ll be surprised how soon you’ll be threading it through tight spots. After all, I’ll bet YOU are larger in every dimension than that bow is....

I hunted with wheels one season out west. Never again, man! I’d rather tote my Lyman GPR (34” barrel is no joke!). It’s heavier, but much better balanced.

Just make sure you get out in some woods and figure out how Far is too far FOR REAL out there in the boonies...

Personally, I don’t find Stickbow to limit my reach, because I can group pretty neatly at ranges where (absent a rangefinder AND the time to use it) I would be at a complete loss for which pin to use.

Just do your stumping and keep doing whatever else you’re doing, because DAMNED if it ain’t workin’ fer ye!!

Most guys make Trad-shootin’ out to be a whole bunch o’ BS and Hocus-Pocus, and like fly-fishing, it just Isn’t That Hard. Unless you make it so, anyway....

05-Aug-19
Welcome to the dark side, you will find it most enjoyable. When you take any big game animal it will be a trophy and you will have a feeling that you have not experienced yet, congrats.

05-Aug-19
I found my current limit tonight finally took the stick outta the back yard things fall apart fast after 25 yards lol, also I am getting really bad arrow flight after upping my point weight to what a bunch of trad guys said it “should” be. 30” 340 spine arrows with 300 up front flys mostly sideways where 250 up front flys pretty decent.

06-Aug-19
Fubar, it doesn't matter what others say you should be using. Let the bow and arrows tell you what flies best. Arrow spine and tip weight is only part of the equation. Other things you can modify are the brace height, sideplate thickness, and adding string silencers. Feel free to PM with any questions.

06-Aug-19
I had it good to start with but experimenting never hurts for sure.

06-Aug-19
If your field points and broadheads group together as well as you can shoot, you’re pretty well tuned. If someone watching over your shoulder sees a crazy amount of tail-wagging, you likely have a problem.

And JMO, if you need 300 grains up front, you’re shooting too stiff a shaft. You didn’t say what poundage or DL you’ve got to work with. If it was “Grandpa’s bow”, it’s probably about #45-#50 pounds and you could well be shooting 500 or 600 spine with about 125 up front. But it’ll depend (heavily) on the bow itself and the string you have on it.

But choose your advisors carefully. FWIW, I know of one outspoken Trad-shooter who seems to always end up needing about 100 grains more point weight than the charts and programs suggest, and the same goes for the findings of a goodly number of folks who truly fit the description of seasoned professionals. And this one guy is utterly convinced that he is correct and everybody else is uhhh... FUBAR.

Not saying he’s wrong, but when what works for you is clearly not what works for just about everybody else, it seems to me that it’s only fair to point that out when you go to give advice.

I must be truly, truly Average (mediocre?) in all respects, because the charts and Stu Miller’s calculator both put me Dead Nuts... Every Single Time.

Just sayin’....

07-Aug-19
It’s 48# at 28 drawn to 29 it is a stiff shaft 340 spine but I did better and had better flight with 250 than 300. I went stiffer just to get the weight up some. My trad arrows with the 150 grain heads are 1 grain heavier than my compound arrows 535 vs 536. I have no doubt a weaker spine and lighter point weight would work just as well or better I just wanted to try heavy weight is all.

07-Aug-19
9-10 GPP should be plenty heavy enough for a bow that’s basically #50 on your fingers. I wouldn’t go above a 500 spine for that bow, myself. Lower if it’s not cut to (or past) center, and I’m assuming it’s a recurve.

But I stick real close to the charts

07-Aug-19
The goal is mule deer next year so iv got plenty of time to continue fiddling and trying things.

07-Aug-19
Fubar I finally sold my Halon and am only shooting recurve from here on out. I hadn't touched my compound in 7 months and figured it had to go. Have a few tags this year and I'm really looking forward to shooting the stick. Good luck on your new endeavor!

08-Aug-19
Good luck Fubar!

I shoot traditional AND modern. No reason a guy cant do both if that's what he likes! I've taken deer with my recurve and my compound, and for me its the hunt, I personally found no more "mystical experience" with success with my trad bow than I do with my Mathews. The hunt is in the "eye of the beholder" and what you put into and get out of it. Enjoy your trad bow....they are indeed fun to shoot!

• Sitka Gear