huntnfish808 02-Aug-19
PAbowhunter1064 02-Aug-19
hoyt-6190 02-Aug-19
hoyt-6190 02-Aug-19
cnelk 02-Aug-19
BigSky 02-Aug-19
plenty coups 03-Aug-19
31-Jul-19
As the season gets closer. Lots of things to prepare. One of those for me which will be this weekend is food prep. I make Tater Tot hot dish and Lasagna in big batches then separate into those small throw away loaf pans and freeze. When I leave camp in the morning, I take the one out I want that night and when I get back to camp, I toss on the grill shut the lid for the oven effect for about 20 mins and ready to go.. simple, easy, no clean up.. any other great ideas out there?

31-Jul-19
This has become an elk camp fav - just ask Midwest and Native Oakie

Taco Lasagna

INGREDIENTS: soft 6 inch tortillas, ground beef or turkey or even ground chicken, season of your choice (taco seasoning or season salt n pepper), tomatoes, red onion, scallions, cilantro, heavy cream, mild cheddar Colby jack and Monterey Jack cheese, butter, Cajun season (for cheese sauce) and sour cream to top

DIRECTIONS: brown meat and drain grease, season meat to taste.to make cheese sauce bring heavy cream and butter to a boil and slowly add cheese until thickens.

Add Cajun season to spice.

With red onion green pepper tomatoes and cilantro dice up to make pico and season to taste. In aluminum pan layer tortilla, meat, cheese, pico, and continue for 3 4 layers on the top finish with the last of the meat pico cheese and bake in oven for 20 mins on 400 once finish let cool down and top with sour cream and diced scallion

31-Jul-19
CoHoythunter- you may have to post that recipe for all the TOT FANBOYS! LOL! (especially PaBowhunter and Stick-n-String ;-)

31-Jul-19
There's Taco Tater Tot Hot Dish, Pizza Tater Tot Hot Dish, Reg Tater Tot Hot Dish, Enchilada Tater Tot Hot Dish... You can add Tots to just about everything and make a Hot Dish... That's my mid western roots.. If you need recipes just plug into the ol' google machine

31-Jul-19
Hey cnelk,

Sounds delicious. Could I cook that recipe with a sous vide? ;-)

Matt

31-Jul-19
We usually keep it simple - brats, elk burgers, elk or deer fajitas, etc.

31-Jul-19
Oh Lord....................................I hope you are ready for all the PM's you're gonna get COHOYTHUNTER! Tots seem to be a Bowsite favorite for some reason! : )

31-Jul-19
Grill? Any good ones for a Jetboil?

31-Jul-19
Tater Tot Cocktail, Tater Tot Kabobs, Tater Tot Tacos, Tater Tot creole, Tater Tot gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple Tater Tots, lemon shrimp n tots, coconut Tater Tots, pepper'd Tater Tots, Tater Tot soup, Tater Tot stew, Tater Tot salad, Tater Tots and potatoes, Tater Tots on a burger, Tater Tot sandwich......

31-Jul-19
"Tots seem to be a Bowsite favorite for some reason!" : )

31-Jul-19
It seems our best elk camp meals are the ones we just wing, usually using critters we've killed that day. Rabbit stew and grouse fettuccine alfredo are two such meals that come to mind.

Matt

31-Jul-19
LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

31-Jul-19
My must have in truck camp is premade breakfast burritos. Cook everything at home (sausage or bacon, scrambled eggs, potatoes (or tots), etc....let cool to room temp then prepare each burrito (don't forget the shredded cheese) and wrap separately with foil and freeze.

In the morning I put them on a covered propane grill unwrapping the foil and using it as a grill cover and then start the coffee. By the time the coffee and my gear for the day is ready the burritos are usually done. They are best when the tortilla is slightly brown and crunchy. Easy cleanup as well.

31-Jul-19
Tot-ally awesome thread. Even better youtube clip....;^)

31-Jul-19
I always smoke a brisket before elk camp. It's delicious anywhere but seems to taste best at high altitude. Another thing we have found to work great is a spiral sliced ham. Its great cold or hot. Breakfast burritos are a standard as is white bean chili. (with green chili and chicken)

31-Jul-19
@Grey Ghost.

I bet you could make just about anything with a Sous Vide but first you’d have to actually have a sous Vide, which rules you out. :)

31-Jul-19
Stick n String.. I suppose you boys don't have a Taco Johns out that way... if you did, you could load up on their seasoned Tots and bring them to your elk camp..

31-Jul-19
Man, never heard of a taco john. But i like the sounds of it

31-Jul-19
It's a mid western taco bell knock off... I guess I've only been to them in North Dakota. And one of their side menu items is Seasoned Tots but they call them Potato Ole's... pretty F'ing good

31-Jul-19

midwest's Link
Using my homemade venison chorizo for this tater tot dish on my pellet grill this weekend...

31-Jul-19
cnelk's taco lasagna is the bomb!

+1 Darrell on the brisket!

Going to try that breakfast burrito thing.

Another fav is Idyllwild's pepperoni, salami, and manchego cheese on a baguette. Wrapped in foil and throw on the grill until the cheese is melted and you have a nice crust on the bread. If you're out hunting, you can build a little fire and roast it on the coals.

31-Jul-19
Man, you guys are putting in some work! I meal prep like crazy when i'm not hunting, but just want something simple when I'm hunting, so I can get out there!/

Bfast: Protein mush (protein powder, dry oatmeal, peanut butter and milk. Let set in the cooler overnight and shove it down. /

Lunch: Leftover chicken breast wrap/sammich stuffed in pack or PBJ/

Dinner: Same as lunch. If back at camp, minute mashed taters, chicken, and dehydrated spinach. /

Caffeine: Coffee if time in the a.m. or no-doz pills (i'm addicted, and admitting it...lol)/

Snacks: Homemade protein bars, trail mix I'll give the recipe for the protein bars in a bit...

31-Jul-19
All my meals are cooked in a few minutes. Either frozen in vacuum bags....just boil in water, or something I throw on the grill. No mess to clean up.

31-Jul-19
Midwest-"No mess to clean up." As long as the vacuum seal doesn't let loose! (I think enough time has passed to take a cheap shot! LOL!)

31-Jul-19
Not funny, Z!

....but I double seal them all now. :-)

31-Jul-19
Hotdogs and whiskey? Chase with whiskey and a black n mild. Repeat until you've had enough or your tagged out

31-Jul-19
Midwest, how about post your venison chorizo recipe?

31-Jul-19

midwest's Link
Sure, Sean....it's a Hank Shaw recipe. I use 50/50 venison/pork.

At my link...

31-Jul-19
Gotta have my walleye fry at elk camp

31-Jul-19
I can only imagine the next day spray that would result from cnelk's taco lasagna after a chew and a bit o' walking.......oh Lort! Poor tree. Make me blow through a whole pack of wet wipes.........

31-Jul-19
Damn, I have obviously been doing this huntin’ food Thing all wrong!

Hell, I have made it a whole week on nothing but peanut granola bars.... That was back a few years ago and haven’t eaten one since!

I hunt better when I’m hungry:-)

01-Aug-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Heck Yeah!
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Heck Yeah!

01-Aug-19
had to laugh at this, as I sit here on my lunch break reading this, eating some fresh walleye and..........tots, lol

01-Aug-19
All this walleye talk...guess I better go fishing again! :-) Man you guys are living like kings. I thought I had life dicked when I could eat two mountain house meals in a day!

01-Aug-19
I don't remember no damn walleye fry, cnelk. >:-(

:):):):)

02-Aug-19
Maybe you'll stop by this year Nick :)

02-Aug-19
I often eat better at elk camp than at home! Maybe not as much this year since I will be by myself. However, that also means I don't have to share my smoked brisket. :)

02-Aug-19
Dutch oven pork roast

5lb or larger bone in pork loin roast 1 large package or jar sauerkraut 1 can apple juice concentrate 1 onion 8 garlic cloves salt Pepper.

Brown roast in olive oil in Dutch oven on all sides. remove from Dutch oven Sauté chopped onions until slightly brown Add sauerkraut to onions return roast to oven . Salt and pepper to your taste. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of can of apple juice concentrate into sauerkraut. Put garlic chopped garlic cloves on top of roast . Cover with lid. Set oven on coals and surround with coals all side and lid. You are trying to achieve 220 to 250 degrees for 6 to 8 hours.

Go hunt all day. Come back to camp and serve roast with apple sauce and mashed potatoes with butter.

I make rustic apple sauce . I just quarter apples, remove core I leave the skin on. ( eat the cores as you cook awesome probiotic properties) pot in pot with remaining apple juice concentrate and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer on low heat until apples are real soft. Mash apples and serve with roast. You can also toss a had full of raisins in the apple sauce.

02-Aug-19
Dang there's some great food listed here, i just eat mountain house for a week straight or a grouse every once in a while.

02-Aug-19
Coyote - We used to have a Taco Johns at a local mall....that place was always packed! Much better quality than Taco Bell in my opinion! I’m getting a little teary eyed remembering all those mouth watering Taco-n-tot combos. Thanks for the flashback! Like the lyrics say in one of my favorite songs....”Don’t know what you tot, till it’s gone.”

02-Aug-19
Cnelk- do you have measurements on the ingredients for the taco lasagna?

02-Aug-19
Cnelk- do you have measurements on the ingredients for the taco lasagna?

02-Aug-19
Start with 1lb of burger - after that, wing it

02-Aug-19
I feel inadequate compared to all of you guys. I spend ten days eating granola bars, trail mix, oatmeal packets, the occasional sandwich and maybe some fruit. I need to get with the program.

03-Aug-19
Jambalaya, burrito casserole, meaty ziti hot dish, preformed burgers. Dishes are frozen and thawed as needed. Reheat in a dutch oven. I bring hotdogs, canned beans, potatoes, eggs, frozen corn, homemade soups that are frozen and premade packaged salad. Something chocolate for deserts.

• Sitka Gear