Jpayne 01-Aug-19
Huntskifishcook 01-Aug-19
Jpayne 01-Aug-19
'Ike' (Phone) 01-Aug-19
Jpayne 01-Aug-19
smd39 02-Aug-19
SBH 02-Aug-19
01-Aug-19
I did a search and there is some good info, not a lot of recent info discussing the newer heads available. I know I'm over thinking this but what are thoughts on this? current set up is 29.5 DL, 64lb, 470gr arrow moving in the mid-upper 200fps I'd guess. I'll be going to ME to hunt bears over bait the first week of September, I don't expect to have to shoot anymore than 30yards. I'm thinking Striker v2, deadmeat, OTT expandable (spitfire), and maybe even rage?? Thanks -Jeff

01-Aug-19
You are over thinking it. Bear die incredibly quickly and easily. Any decent broadhead placed in the vitals will work.

Most shots over bait are less than 20 yards and I would recommend sticking with that. Bear can be difficult to visualize the vitals, especially in woods and low light.

01-Aug-19
I’ve killed five, all over bait, and the above post is spot on.

01-Aug-19

longspeak74's embedded Photo
longspeak74's embedded Photo
Thunderheads will slice through the blind like butter...

01-Aug-19
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'll do my best to put two holes in a bear with something sharp. Aim "middle of middle" they say. I'll be in camp one month from today, and very excited. -Jeff

01-Aug-19
I can't wait to get after some bears also! I always try to remember that it's within the realm of possibility that I'm trying to put two holes in an animal that could be twice as thick as your average whitetail. Most won't be that big, but 400-500+ pound bears are killed in New England every year.

01-Aug-19
I was selected to go on a veteran/active duty hunt with New England Adventures. They do great working giving back to those who have served and those currently serving. Fishing, camping, hunting is their passion. I'm. very grateful to have this opportunity to go on a Maine near hunt. I want to do.my beat to harvest a bear. -Jeff

01-Aug-19

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Jeff, good luck...Here’s one that Woody did for us years ago...

01-Aug-19
Ike, looks like money. Thank you -Jeff

02-Aug-19
Be patient. Like it was mentioned earlier, it can be hard to identify a spot on a bear, especially in low light. Best to wait to be sure you have a good broad side shot. I'm no expert but have killed a couple of Main bears with Spitfires. Neither went far at all.

02-Aug-19
Jpayne- Hope you have a great hunt! Thankyou for your service.

Lots of good broadheads out there. Don't be too tight to that shoulder. On a bear, back is better than forward. Don't want to get into the middle of the middle debate but stay off that shoulder. A bear hit a little back is still a dead bear. Good luck man, have fun!

02-Aug-19
I've shot four bears with the Iron Will s125. Some will say to use a large mechanical, but I like to guarantee an exit hole and make it through any bones. A buddy of mine shot a booner bear entering the hind quarter and exiting the opposite front shoulder with the s125.

• Sitka Gear