deerslayer 02-Sep-19
Shawn 02-Sep-19
WapitiBob 02-Sep-19
Matt 02-Sep-19
WapitiBob 02-Sep-19
Brian H 02-Sep-19
03-Aug-19

Ward's Outfitters's Link
Steven Ward here again with another video! Today we’re going to address one of the main concerns about Vortex Broadheads, that is, hard angles and quartering shots. It’s said that the Vortex Broadhead will deflect at hard angles, well today we tested it! The results are interesting, watch the video to see! Be sure to follow to see upcoming posts testing our other broadheads in the same way!

01-Sep-19

Ward's Outfitters's Link

01-Sep-19
Impressive. I am a big fan of Vortex. I have my quiver full off the 100 gr blue heads right now.

01-Sep-19
Nice to see. These are generally open on impact vs inside, correct? That's my sense looking, just curious. They look really solid, simple and well thought out.

01-Sep-19
What the the specs on bow in video? 800gr arrow, 80# bow? Course that won’t deflect. Now drop that bow to 50# and shoot a 400gr arrow n test it. That’s the average mid age hunter setup

01-Sep-19
Looks like he’s shooting a PSE Carbon Air. I think they only went to 70#

800gr at 80# would have penetrated slightly more.

I don’t think bow or arrow weight take away arrow deflection.

I don’t use mechanicals. But that was a pretty realistic real world test.

01-Sep-19
Ok. Take a pencil toss it against the wall. It won’t stick right. Now take that same pencil add weight+speed. It will stick. That’s just physically correct

01-Sep-19
I've only tested them on animals. Never had a deflection. I've had hard quartering shots on feral hogs, elk and deer. Never had an issue.

01-Sep-19
The trouble is.... Everything always works perfectly in a marketing video, no matter how many attempts it takes.

And JMO there are a LOT of variables in the set-up that could improve the outcome and which ought to be addressed.

Call me crazy, but there’s got to be a reason that nobody prefers a mechanical for big, tough African game. And if there were no issues with quartering shots, there’d be no need for a video “proving” otherwise.

Wouldn’t ever have come up.

But I suppose if mechanicals were marketed as a specialty head for use when a target-rich environment makes it possible to wait for a really good broadside (as pretty much every Bowhunter was taught to do, 40+ years ago when target-rich environments did not yet exist in a lot of places), then they probably wouldn’t be so popular.

I’m glad that the folks who make them are interested in making them better and more reliable, but I still just don’t get it.

01-Sep-19
Justin you are correct.

momentum increases penetration.

But I’m not sure it minimizes deflection. That was my point. I’m not arguing mechanical vs fixed. Real world example; My PH would not allow me to shoot my Buffalo quartering away. 75# 1028 grains of arrow broad head.

Because It could still deflect off of ribs. They have hundreds of archery buffalo kills to back up the deflection discussion.

01-Sep-19
I’ll stick to fix n I only shoot deer

01-Sep-19
Don’t have the deep pockets for these crazy 10k dollar hunts!

01-Sep-19
“momentum increases penetration.

But I’m not sure it minimizes deflection.“

Sure it does. Break out the vector analysis if you prefer or just go play a game of marbles.

Just if you do the vector analysis, make sure you run it under 2 or 3 substantially different FOC assumptions. I don’t recall how to do the math, but I’m pretty sure that the length of the lever arms involved would tweak the outcome more than a little.

01-Sep-19
Yup. I am correct!!! Have him tell us his specs

01-Sep-19
I would love to see them come out in the all steel version that has better blade angle. I never been a fan of the flat blade angle on these. I use them for a couple seasons in the 90s.

01-Sep-19

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
The bow was a pse carbon air 28" draw 70 #'s with a 390 grain arrow. GF Vortex broadheads have been used for over 30 years on large African game without failure. Not to mention some of the largest north American game.

01-Sep-19
Still don’t by it. Have a pack and will test myself.

01-Sep-19

Justin Mct5 buy a 3 pack.

01-Sep-19
Steven,

Two questions: Any chance of making a 3 blade all steel Vortex? Also, do you feel that the angle/length of the blade (pre-deployment) needs to be that long? I'm envisioning something that looks like a marriage between a Rocket Steelhead and and an all steel Vortex 125gr!!! Pete

01-Sep-19
“Vortex broadheads have been used for over 30 years on large African game without failure.”

Look... I know you’re a believer in the product, but that claim is absurd. You have no way of knowing that, let alone PROVING it unless you can document a 100% recovery rate... which would mean that you know every hunter who has used them and the outcome of every shot taken. And if you do know that, then I’d submit that you must be working with a very small sample size, which won’t tell you all that much.

I’m sure they’re a fine example of a good mechanical, so yeah, if you like them, fine. Use ‘em, and I hope they never give you any trouble.

I just see a lot more potential down-side than up.

01-Sep-19
It must be nice knowing so much that isn’t so.

You should stop digging on these threads. Krusty the clown is going to want his shoes and makeup back.

01-Sep-19
It is bordering on intervention time. I've gone from being mildly annoyed by the constant "look how smart I think I am" posts to flat out feeling sorry for the guy.

Add to that the self-flaggelatimg thread he started on the Leatherwall, it's just sad.

02-Sep-19

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
Entered rib cage way back came out his chest. hard quartering shot with votex 125 2". 70# 480 total Arrow.

02-Sep-19

GF You have no idea ! You are absolutely clueless when it comes to the design and mechanics of Vortex broadheads. I personally watched the first one being made in 1988. I have personally harvested over 100 big game animals with Vortex broadheads and have never had a failure. When you have firsthand experience with Vortex broadheads then you can run your neck , but until then Mr.. Scientist troll somewhere else.

02-Sep-19

GF You have no idea ! You are absolutely clueless when it comes to the design and mechanics of Vortex broadheads. I personally watched the first one being made in 1988. I have personally harvested over 100 big game animals with Vortex broadheads and have never had a failure. When you have firsthand experience with Vortex broadheads then you can run your neck , but until then Mr.. Scientist troll somewhere else.

02-Sep-19
^^^ This

I shot my first deer with a 100 grain vortex at 13 years old in 1997. What a great head. I am glad you got them back on the market Steven. One of the better mechs throughout the years. I plan on getting some.

02-Sep-19
I want the head where the blades are even with the tip. I believe they are the 125 grain 2" steel ones. I believe the others where the blades are not even with the tip, like the 2.75" cut may deflect on a sharp angle hit. Shawn

02-Sep-19
The dipshittery is becoming annoying.

02-Sep-19
"The dipshittery is becoming annoying."

Agreed

02-Sep-19
Sorry, bad choice of words.

Hunting in Wyoming and with thc illegal here I’ve been off my meds for a bit.

02-Sep-19
Love my heads.

• Sitka Gear