KHNC 12-Aug-19
Orion 12-Aug-19
cnelk 12-Aug-19
FlyingArcher 12-Aug-19
Deertick 12-Aug-19
ahunter76 12-Aug-19
Bob H in NH 12-Aug-19
07-Aug-19
So I will be hunting mid-September for Pronghorn in Wyoming over waterholes with a blind. What are all your thoughts on blind placement, decoy selection, and decoy placement?

07-Aug-19
I wouldn't have a decoy within 5 miles of an antelope blind.

07-Aug-19
I would concentrate on using a decoy without a blind in mid September, waaaaaaaaay more fun. Midday and evening water hole sits to mix it up if you can get into the blind without being seen.

I prefer the old plastic fold up decoys myself, not as handy as the fabric types but more effective IMO.

07-Aug-19
How far away from the waterhole do you guys park your truck? Or is it imperitive to have someone drop you off?

07-Aug-19
I have killed goats when I could see my bright red truck about 300 yards away. I was hunting a water trough and had my truck parked between two ponds in an effort to “redirect “ any possible customers. I saw two does graze right by it, within 40/50 yards. :-) That was probably an anomaly though, I generally try to keep it out of sight, but sometimes that’s hard in antelope country.

07-Aug-19
Antelope pay no attention to trucks that are parked, but I do try to hide it or park it away from where I am hunting. Use to hunt a waterhole that had a large above ground water storage tank by it so I would park my truck on the shady side of it within 20-30 yards from the blind.

07-Aug-19
i put my buck decoy right next to my blind and a waterhole had bucks coming to it right away. my wife same thing they were on the decoy before she could even get set in the blind. i'm hunting private land in Wyoming don't know if that made a difference . was total mayhem!!!!

12-Aug-19
Decoys near a blind during the rut are money! Dont even need a water hole nearby. However, if you plan to eat an antelope, DONT hunt anytime near the rut. They stink worse than a mange coyote.

12-Aug-19
Wrong, the bucks ive shot in the rut tasted the same as the ones out of it. Antelope is excellent table fare.

12-Aug-19
Agree with Orion. Delish!

12-Aug-19
I have set up blinds and have goats come into water two hours later. While it doenst hurt to set them up in advance it's not a deal breaker. We usually set the blinds our first afternoon and then start hunting the following morning.

12-Aug-19
It is absolutely NOT wrong that they stink terribly during the rut! I have smelled quite a few of them first hand. They may still taste fine, but , the smell is something you will never forget! Worst smelling critters i have ever encountered.

12-Aug-19
you said if you wanted to eat one don't shoot it in the rut and I'm calling b.s. on that statement. They taste just as good in the rut as out of it. Maybe take care of your meat better if you had a bad experience

12-Aug-19
You better hope it starts drying up in Wyoming because with all the rain every depression has water right now.

Or be lucky and pick the right one

12-Aug-19
Thanks all for your answers. If I am successful, I'll follow up with a photo of the trophy.

12-Aug-19
To be fair, they stink like that all the time.

12-Aug-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
We will be mid Sept also. Hunted Aug 3 other times. We've had Goats in 1st day the blind was up. Never seemed to bother them. Waterholes & water tanks

12-Aug-19
Biggest issues I have where I plan to go at hunt are cows and rattlesnakes.

Cows everywhere and ran into our first rattlesnake last week. Kind of freaked out and probably won't t bow hunt aiguat6

• Sitka Gear