bowdude 11-Aug-19
wyobullshooter 11-Aug-19
stagetek 11-Aug-19
APauls 12-Aug-19
longbeard 13-Aug-19
ahunter76 13-Aug-19
07-Aug-19
Hey guys,

I will be hunting for moose here in Quebec for two weeks this fall, just wondering what points you guys use for grouse. There is a lot of spruce grouse (Tetra in french) where I hunt and they tend to hang out in trees a lot. Last year I've lost half-dozen arrows on pass through shots using the little aluminium circles you add to you field points. Since I aim at the grouse in the tree the arrow just goes a really long way after passing through... I'm looking for a more economical way to get some awesome camp meat ;).

If you have tried some small game heads that doesn't pass through all the time I would sure like to know which ones work for you

Thanks

07-Aug-19
Sling shot, save your arrows for when they are on the ground. Or use the spring judo points, if they pass through they won't go far.

07-Aug-19
Judo points with the wires and flu-flu feathers on your arrows.

07-Aug-19
Rubber blunts

07-Aug-19
Your buddy's IronWills

07-Aug-19
Although I LOVE to eat grouse, I pass unless they are on the ground...

07-Aug-19
X2 on rubber blunts

07-Aug-19
Judo points (the actual Judo brand) work best. G5 SGH also work good until they break.

07-Aug-19
Walk around the tree until the grouse lines up with the tree trunk. On a miss or pass through the arrow will hit the trunk and drop to the ground. Rubber blunts work well.

07-Aug-19

07-Aug-19
Blue Buck good trick !!, I did it a few times, seems to work ok for me 1 times out of 2... Mainly because the trees are so small in diameter sometimes... Thanks guys, I will give the judo with wires a try !

07-Aug-19
I've only shot one spruce grouse with my bow (recurve). I put a wing nut behind a field point. Ripped a hole in the bird and dropped on the spot. No need to sharpen the wing nut, put wings forward.

07-Aug-19
Judo points are quick and slick on grouse. And, if you miss, you usually always find the arrow. :^)

07-Aug-19
Rubber blunts

07-Aug-19
Yep, rubber blunts!

07-Aug-19
I've been using a small washer behind my FP and it works as good if not better than anything else I've used.

07-Aug-19
I'd use blunts to be sure they wouldn't stick into a tree. And I bet a saunders would go right through a grouse.

07-Aug-19

08-Aug-19
If you’re using a recurve then a field point or cheap broadhead, compound I bet a true “judo” point would be money

08-Aug-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
125 gr Magnus 4 bld.
125 gr Magnus 4 bld.
FINE DINING FOR SURE--JUST ADD SOME SALT
FINE DINING FOR SURE--JUST ADD SOME SALT

08-Aug-19
I've used everything from Blunts, Judo's and G5 SGH's plus a rock or two...As said, a plus side to Judo's and the SGH, you can usually find your arrows...

08-Aug-19
I’ve had excellent results with G5 Small Game Heads with my recurves/aluminum arrows.

08-Aug-19
If you can shoot them in the head. I swear I have seen way to many now hunters aim for the body only to wound one or five that get away. Head shot either a clean kill or a miss.

08-Aug-19
Matte, great minds think alike! Ha! For me, it’s also a head/neck shot or nothing. Ain’t no way I’m going to screw up any breast meat if I can help it. 20yds and in, they’re in trouble. Beyond that, I get closer or they walk. Great thing about crazy chickens...not many walk. ;-)

11-Aug-19
I always carry one cheap graphite arrow topped with a G5 SGH for grouse, rabbits, rattlesnakes, etc.... That way it doesn't sting to bad if I lose or break the arrow.

Matt

11-Aug-19
I’ve got a few arrows that have a slight wobble to them. Dedicated grouse heads this year.

11-Aug-19
even a sharp 2-3 bld BH through the breast will not destroy much meat. I will take that over---- no grouse at all.

11-Aug-19
X7 on the big rubber blunts. They do not stick and the shock from the impact kills the grouse. Judo's don't get lost as easily, but they sure tear up the meat and they will stick into a tree.

11-Aug-19
bowdude, there's one more reason I use rubber blunts. Many years ago I shot a rabbit with a judo. Took forever to unwind the freakin' fur/meat off the wire. I decided right then...never again! ;-)

Paul, I'll take your word for it, but there's no way on God's Green Earth I'm takin' a chance on trashing a broadhead on a dang crazy chicken! Ha!

11-Aug-19
I like Judo's for small game.

12-Aug-19
I'm in the Judo camp with a compound. With a recurve pretty much anything works. In moose country the ground is almost worse if it's mossy. That arrow is guaranteed goner.

13-Aug-19
I used to kill them by throwing a rock at them. I would mock them out of the tree with the rock and my buddy would be waiting on the ground. When they came tumbling down he would grab them and pop their head off! Lots of fun when you are 20 something!!

13-Aug-19
I've used 3 bld BH, Judo, rubber blunt & 38 cartridge casing on grouse & Pheasants. Judo seemed to work best. Nock off Judos on ebay, $12 a Dz. free shipping.

• Sitka Gear