Rut Nut 09-Aug-19
Treeline 09-Aug-19
Hancock West 09-Aug-19
GF 09-Aug-19
SJJ 24-Aug-19
JohnMC 24-Aug-19
08-Aug-19

BULELK1's Link
Good Lord what the heck is this anyways?

Good luck, Robb

08-Aug-19
Last fall, we had a doe that had a couple of growths somewhat similar to those at our farm. One was on her side, which was about tennis ball sized, and the other was on her head/face, which was about the size and shape of a kid’s nerf football. It completely covered the right side of her head, covering her right eye. I got some crappy offhand video of her, using my binos and my cell phone, but she was too far out and I was too shaking as well to see it in much detail. My wife nicknamed her “Abcess Annie”

08-Aug-19
Heinous-looking Papilloma Virus!

08-Aug-19
HPV stands for Human Papilloma Virus. In humans it is responsible for venereal warts and is a causative factor in cervical cancer in women as well as head and neck cancer (squamous cell carcinoma). In humans the warts don't usually just "fall off" though. I would think in deer it is a different strain of papilloma virus.

09-Aug-19
Thanks

Good luck, Robb

09-Aug-19
Robb, cutaneous fibromas are caused by a virus but my disease manuals do not list the specific virus or viruses. While they look nasty the fibromas are not a danger to humans or the deer. Deer can safely be consumed as long as the fibromas do not have underlying infection.

09-Aug-19
I've seen this before. Looks nasty! Don't think I would ever shoot a deer that looked like that! : (

09-Aug-19
Have seen it on bucks in one of the places I hunt. Seems to be pretty common in a couple of basins but have only seen them with it in those basins and not the surrounding ones. Was a bit scared to shoot one of those nasty looking ones. Didn’t seem to affect them other than making them look really ugly!

09-Aug-19
call the game warden and see if you can have a mercy kill, if that even exists. It may be safe this week according to scientist but who knows what they'll say next week. No way that meat is going in my freezer..

09-Aug-19
Chances are that the H in this case is for something other than Human, but the info above about Human PV is correct. The vaccine for that could make Cervical cancer into a bad memory....

24-Aug-19
I'm a health care provider and since the Gardasil Vaccine came around I see very little HPV of the "wart" exhibiting strains. One of the -if not the most -efficacious vaccines in use.

24-Aug-19
I doubt any the does are going to be interested in him when the rut comes around.

• Sitka Gear