njbuck 09-Aug-19
dnovo 09-Aug-19
Phopkins 09-Aug-19
RIT 10-Aug-19
dirtclod Az. 10-Aug-19
wvbowbender 18-Aug-19
Coyote 65 18-Aug-19
09-Aug-19
If I put out something to hold water for deer, is there anything that could be added to keep it (the water) from getting stagnate? Bob

09-Aug-19
Hydrogen peroxide at 25-30 ppm will help with the bad bacteria.

Copper sulfate is a commercial product for algae control and I have read of some bleach use.

Water holes are fun and they definitely anchor movement. I put in a water hole and a mock scrape this year. Deer hit them both at every pass.

09-Aug-19

RIT's embedded Photo
Mock scrape on the left water on the right.
RIT's embedded Photo
Mock scrape on the left water on the right.

09-Aug-19

RIT's embedded Photo
Quite a few bacholer groups coming into the mock scrape and water.
RIT's embedded Photo
Quite a few bacholer groups coming into the mock scrape and water.
Mine is only about 100 yards from my house so between old hose and pvc I add water to it once a week. I let the water run a bit to help flush out the leaves.

09-Aug-19
Not telling anyone what to do or anything like that, but water holes tend to be ideal habitat for the midge that carrys EHD. There are build designs that can minimize risk. I think it's something that should be considered and researched before digging. With that said I have a couple and they are great. Everything loves a water hole!

09-Aug-19
I really wasn't planning on digging a pond, just using something like a stock tank or something. Thanks, Bob

09-Aug-19
Look up guzzlers. Might help the EHD issue to set up a covered water tank that collects water and feeds to a small drinker trough.

09-Aug-19
I just put out a 100 gallon stock, No mud around it that way for the midge to lay eggs in, the deer will get used to it and start drinking out of it soon. It's in the shade so stays cool enough. I filled it with front end loader carrying a 55 gal poly drum. 2 trips, maintenance will be easy, I'll just put 50 gallons in every 10 days or so to freshen it up. Still hoping for rain soon!

09-Aug-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
It seems like the deer like it the nastier the better. One suggestion if you’re using a stock type tank. Put a log or other object in it so smaller critters have a way to crawl out in case they fall in.

Here’s a pic from the other day where they were drinking out of a muddy ditch.

09-Aug-19
Definitely put a stick/log, something in it so if a small animal such as a mouse or chipmunk falls in it they will be get out. If not they will drown and very quickly start to rot causing animals to not use the water hole.

09-Aug-19
I’m lucky I have a good spring on my property that runs year round regardless of how dry it gets. I’ve never found a dead deer from EHD there and I think that because the water is running the midges don’t get in there.

09-Aug-19
Yes, good thought t-Roy. I should have thought of that, used to drown squirrels pretty regular in a tank back when I had horses. I don't need to be doing that.

10-Aug-19
Mine is a 50 gallon garden pond container. It’s sunk to about an inch above the ground. I dug the hole about 2” wider than the base. The excess water runs down underneath. It moistens the edge for a bit but it doesn’t create a permanently wet bank. Maybe a few hours tops. I did notice some mosquito larva in it the other day. Considering one of those donuts deals but need to read more about them before I give it a try.

10-Aug-19
If you have a constant flow of water or can add fresh water regularly it really helps keep down the vermin that may be attracted to the water source.We have a fresh water supply with an old toilet float assembly attached.Keeps water fresh 24/7.

18-Aug-19
ttt

18-Aug-19
RIT, get a couple of goldfish and toss them in, they will take care of the mosquitoes.

Terry

• Sitka Gear