ElkNut1 17-Aug-19
Stick & String 25-Aug-19
NorCalVineyards 25-Aug-19
Elkwhisper425 25-Aug-19
badbull 26-Aug-19
wytex 26-Aug-19
09-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
Mine is Abe & Sons. I think it is the most realistic call out there and is micro adjustable. Can be touchy though.

09-Aug-19
Chuckler... it has the depth to sound like a real bull.

09-Aug-19
My favorite is the ELK101 Contender, followed closely by the ELK101.com All-Star. Extremely easy to use, and I can make any elk vocalization with either one.

09-Aug-19
I haven’t used enough to have a favorite. I have the bully bugle and it seems to work. I just don’t see myself spend 40 dollars a pop to try 4-5 to see “which ones best!”

10-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
Mule Power, what is the Chuckler?

10-Aug-19
I don`t think it is being made anymore ^^^^^

10-Aug-19
Stick and String, bought one of the Abe and Son when they first started making them. Before that it was the bugle of the month club for me. Once I got the Abe I never looked back. Did have a time where it was hard to get the latex. But not now.

The first time I bought latex from them I got "abe" on the phone, and he talked my ear off. Demonstrated different elk calls and how to use it as a cow call too. Probably spent a half hour talking to me for a $10.00 purchase. Guess he likes elk hunting.

Terry

10-Aug-19
I bought a corrugated tube back in 1991. Cut it down some because it seemed too long. Put a string on it and have been carrying it ever since. I have lost it on multiple occasions but have found it each time. Several hunters have seen me with it and laughed at my dinosaur of a grunt tube but it gets the job done. If you think your tube is the reason a bull comes or doesn't come, I think you are falling for marketing. :)

10-Aug-19
No.......yer kidding.... lol

10-Aug-19
Abe Meline was the best of the best!! Met him in NM when we were chasin the same bull he called Chocolate in 1992. He gave me a tube and three cow calls. I hunted NM twice with him and Colorado a few times with him. He loved elk hunting. I used that tube for 16 years before switching to one of Elknut's tubes. And I've used the same tube till upgrading to his newer tube in 2017.

10-Aug-19
Elk101 All Star is a great Reed and easy to make all sorts of sounds with. I have used dozens of different brands and styles over the years and they all work. My tube is home made. Flex pipe so it slings around the shoulder nice with a big chamber made out of a plastic bottle.

10-Aug-19
Wasn't the Chuckler Paul's bugle?

11-Aug-19
I've always been a Wayne Carlton and Primos type guy

Good luck, Robb

11-Aug-19
Yes the Chuckler was an Elknut product.

11-Aug-19
I prefer a mouth diaphragm call and a regular tube. I carry 3-4 different diaphragms to simulate different calls.

Matt

11-Aug-19

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
In 1998 I called in this bull for my hunting partner with one of the Bugling Bull Raging Bull brown pallet plate calls (holding it in the pic). Still one of the most "in your face" calling sessions I have ever experienced. Rocky Jacobson was at Anderson Archery clinic here in Grand Ledge Mi in the early 90's and he spent several minutes with me at his booth giving me a lesson! He could not escape me and my questions because he had just had knee surgery! I bought several of his calls and have been using a version of his pallet plate calls ever since! All-Star and Contender seem to be my go to now!

11-Aug-19
X2 with Grey Ghost. My tube is from a vacuum cleaner....when not in use it coils down to about 6" and can be extended to about 2`. It helps to create tone as you extend and compress it. Not convinced anything else is really needed.

11-Aug-19
I’m half deaf...tone deaf...and couldn’t make a good bugle if my life depended on it. Soooo...I’d say whichever bugle my buddy is calling with when it’s my turn to shoot!-)

11-Aug-19
It may not be the elk bugle, mouth diaphragm bull/ cow/calf you chose that is the "best/favorite', but your knowledge to what calls to use and when, and how to respond and then, to just shut up and not call at all.

11-Aug-19
I agree, the bugle tube is less important than having the reed that fits you. IMO, the phelps reeds are superior in every way, and I think i've tried them all. Phelps signature and Dirk's Maverick are my fav. The grey amp is also killer.

11-Aug-19
Hunters use the diaphragm that fits their mouth the best. Unfortunately you have to go through the brands to see which one fits you best and can make the sounds you are looking make.

I am one of the few it seems that don’t like the new dome style diaphragm which most brands have gone to. I like the flap diaphragm better because you can move the flap up or down. I see it as “tuning” the call so it can fit better in the roof of my mouth and the air flow makes the sound I’m trying to make. Obviously everyone’s mouth is different so it certainly isn’t a one size fits all.

11-Aug-19
I have paid $40 for a bugle that began its life as a wiffle ball bat. Buy a Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls tube or make your own from a bat. Rocky & Corey Jacobson’s(RMHC) don’t start their life hitting balls. My favorite reed is the RMHC champ and the black magic. I also like the contender.

11-Aug-19
Berry Thunder bugle for me.

Because I can actually make it sound like an elk instead of a cat that had its tail stepped on.

Ever since I had dental work done 5 years ago I can’t get a diaphragm call to feel right in mouth.

11-Aug-19
I now use a wiffle ball bat, about $4.

12-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
Coyote 65, yea Abe is sure a character, isn't he? I used to share a booth with him at the Denver Sportsmen's Show. Can sure call too! I've used his call for close to two decades. Not that fond of the cow calls but love the bugle.

12-Aug-19
I use the "Little Chuckler"...'cause it's not about the size...it's how you use it (or, so my Wife tells me)... ;^)

12-Aug-19
My favorite bugle is whatever one the other guys leave back at their trucks so they aren't wandering through the woods blowing on the things all day and educating bulls.

I voice bugle and sometimes my best results are with no tube because the bull thinks I'm further away than I am, and they can end up in my lap. Closest one I bugled in that way, I shot at 3 yards.

12-Aug-19
I bought a 20' length of vacuum hose years ago. Made several of my hunting buddies a bugle tube and still have some left over. I even covered them with some old camo I had lying around and attached para-chord for a sling. I use multiple calls through it, my favorite being a raspy old hen diaphragm call. I can cow call with it or grab the tube and bugle with it. Since I've been out of the elk hunting game for a bit, I'm gonna have to freshen up a bit on calling. Frankly, I rarely call. As quick as I say that, I rarely kill elk either. :)

12-Aug-19
Chuckler gen 3. Actually I have all 3 generations of the Chuckler. The reason why is pretty simple. They work. Thanks Paul!

12-Aug-19
That Chuckler is a great bugle. I have two..... It's worth getting one just to support Paul. I've never seen a guy so eager to help any fellow elk hunters. Much respect.

12-Aug-19
I second that on the Chuckler and Paul. Thanks to Paul and his son for all the great advice they put out there. The ElkNut app is awesome.

12-Aug-19
I own one too. I love to get loud and agressive with it. My buddy said I sound too mean! Thanks Paul

13-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
Where do you get the Chuckler? I love Abe's but always eager to try something new and productive. Is it an outside the mouth call? I can't call very good on a diaphragm.

16-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
Where to get the Chuckler please

17-Aug-19
Goto elknut.com Not sure if they are in stock.

17-Aug-19
Thanks guys! No New Chucklers for this year. They are sold out. I don't think I'll be bringing them back at this time. I'm cutting back on Bugles & Reeds & keeping things simpler these days. Lots of good guys picking up my slack out there. Try out Phelps Bugles & Reeds, they're pretty darned good! Thank you!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-19

Stick & String's Link
ElkNut1, I watched your videos on YouTube for the first time and was very impressed. I've hunted elk for 35 years but still learned a lot about calling. I also purchased your Ap and am getting up to speed on that. Good job! Really appreciate it. Matt B. Hunting Consultant

25-Aug-19
I use the berry game call thunder bugle. It has a built in reed and very user friendly.

25-Aug-19
Power Bugle or Royal Bugle, both sound very realistic. I also use the Imperial Reed because I find it easy to use and enjoy its versatility. I can make pretty much all the cow, and calf calls as well as a wide range of bugles with that one reed. I also carry several different cow calls to make a wide variety of different pitches as I like to switch it up

26-Aug-19
I have the Power Bugle and an Abe and Son from many years back. I like both because they sound so realistic to me. The Chucklers sound like a really good one to give a try.

26-Aug-19
Power Bugle and white bands.

• Sitka Gear