kevin3006 28-Sep-19
Bowfreak 28-Sep-19
t-roy 28-Sep-19
kevin3006 28-Sep-19
Single bevel 30-Sep-19
Scrappy 30-Sep-19
Single bevel 30-Sep-19
12-Aug-19
Hearing a lot of chatter in Southern Iowa about EHD hitting big time this year. Specifically zone 5 is where I am hearing and where I have a tag this year. Anyone else hearing that?

12-Aug-19
just on here. not from the locals.

13-Aug-19
There have been some localized cases but nothing widespread across Southern tier counties.

13-Aug-19
None on my farm. It’s been a wet year. I wouldn’t think this is the year.

13-Aug-19
I haven't heard much here in Iowa on EHD.

13-Aug-19

Storm's Link
Yes it is starting to hit hard. Especially in the last week. My local warden is getting calls none stop.

14-Aug-19
I haven’t heard anything from my farmer.

16-Aug-19
I spoke with the DNR officer for the Warren County area, at the State Fair today. He said they are up to over 200 dead deer found in their area so far. Everything from a 200” buck down to fawns. Not good news for that area :-(

17-Aug-19
This year the EHD is different than most other years. Our temps are much cooler, we have had very consistent rain not drought conditions at all. Some of this was caused by areas that flooded this spring and had pooled water that receded all summer creating the perfect environment for the host midge. I personally have not found a single one but know there has been a few. We are outside working on plots, stands and other habitat projects all day ,everyday.

17-Aug-19
Good luck. When it hit here in central MT a few years back I went from being able to glass 75+ deer from my spot to the best I did the worst year was 9. We are back somewhat but there are areas where they still are very thin. Lots of coyotes doesn't help.

17-Aug-19
I’m aware of 3 dead deer within a few miles of my house in se Illinois. Two in ponds

17-Aug-19
We got it here S.Warren County/N.Clarke county: neighbor six dead bucks, another neighbor big 12 dead, I’ve found two on my property. A lot more are getting killed than are reported to the Department of No Responsibility (DNR)

18-Aug-19
Hans 1 you are spot on. The outbreak could step up in what remains of August and early September. I live in Madison County and heard of first case Friday night South of Winterset. It is still localized but could get more widespread.

Good Luck All.

18-Aug-19
Looks like that area got a bunch of rain overnight. I wonder if that will help slow down things a bit, or make it worse?

18-Aug-19

gobble50's embedded Photo
Phone photo from our porch.
gobble50's embedded Photo
Phone photo from our porch.
Watching a nice buck right now at our pond edge probably dying. Tongue hanging out, keeps dipping his head in the water, very lethargic. Makes me sick.

19-Aug-19
Found another dead doe on our property today & the buck I was watching yesterday is AWOL; I’m sure he’s dead. Another neighbor found four dead deer within the last couple days. I see deer in the neighbors hay field most evenings - nearly all the deer now are fawns - Moms are dead.

19-Aug-19
and not a peep on what happen to the pheasant population but too bad, may happen to the deer population. Remember when the Ia. deer herd was 10,000 and it was special to see a track, Ia. was number 1 in the county for pheasants but gone now. Sorry to hijack this post but it is sad what happen.

19-Aug-19
Correct jjs- DNR quiet about pheasants too. 25 years ago we could get a limit every time out. Guys I know that still try to hunt them tramp all day for one shot. It’s sad - rare to see one in roadside ditches - used to see one every mile. > Got word another neighbor found a big buck dead. These are just the ones people find easily, if they die in the long grass, they go unnoticed......

19-Aug-19
Correct jjs- DNR quiet about pheasants too. 25 years ago we could get a limit every time out. Guys I know that still try to hunt them tramp all day for one shot. It’s sad - rare to see one in roadside ditches - used to see one every mile. > Got word another neighbor found a big buck dead. These are just the ones people find easily, if they die in the long grass, they go unnoticed......

19-Aug-19
I live just south of the IA line and have been hearing ehd reports for the last week .We have been pretty dry this last few weeks . Will be out looking .

21-Aug-19
Found another dead doe near the pond yesterday....... DNR suspiciously quiet..... I’m sure they are petrified of chasing away the out of staters with admitting the truth.

21-Aug-19
I'm very sad for you guys whose herds are being infected.

I'm a bit ignorant about EHD. Is there anything that can be done short of removing the breeding environment of the carrying insects?

Matt

21-Aug-19
Gobble50, what county if you don't mind me asking?

21-Aug-19
Gobble50 the DNR is also quite because they don't want to upset their plan to expand the shed buck season again. Got to keep pushing those tag sales.

21-Aug-19
I’m right on the Warren/Clarke county border. Big problem is everyone has a pond, and until the last couple days, all the water was low exposing mud & releasing the midges that cause the EHD infection. Also, Scrappy is correct!

21-Aug-19
Raining hard last couple days I hope it help

21-Aug-19
Can these little bastards be sprayed without harming other wildlife?

Matt

21-Aug-19
No known solutions that I’ve heard of. Once we have a hard freeze the danger will be over for this year but, incredible, immeasurable and long lasting damage has already been done.

22-Aug-19
Don't quote me on this, but I thought Dudley once said in a podcast he supplies deer with a supplemental feed on the farms he hunts that will deter bugs, including the midge. I may be incorrect.

22-Aug-19
Boatman 71 I believe you are correct, he along with the Drury boys was pimping some nonsense product after the 2013 outbreak. I believe it was called snakeoil.

22-Aug-19
LOL! I didn't say it worked!! :-)

22-Aug-19
Read about an EHD outbreak yesterday in Indiana.

22-Aug-19
Gobble50-the DNR is not worried about chasing away the “out of staters”, they already paid for their tags

22-Aug-19
I haven’t see any dead deer where I am hunt ( Madision country) There are a lot great bucks show up on my trail cameras

07-Sep-19
Out of control this last week. Zone 5 getting pounded!!!!!

07-Sep-19
Found another dead doe on our small property yesterday..... and on it goes...

08-Sep-19
Found one buck, one doe dead by EHD

08-Sep-19

FrankyB's Link

08-Sep-19
Thanks for the Link FrankyB - neighbors are finding dead deer EVERY day. We’re even finding them around golf courses. Can’t understand why the Department of No Responsibility doesn’t reduce the doe tags. Typical.

08-Sep-19
Can’t the hunters just not shoot the does?

09-Sep-19
Just watched Bill Winkes latest show and he has it on his farm.

09-Sep-19
1boonr: can, but won’t. I’ve seen them here, shotgun toting city buffoons and ne’er-do wells that know little about the resource; shooting at anything and everything that moves. They’ll mostly be knocking down fawns this year.

09-Sep-19
This is the time of year that EHD and bluetongue seems to manifest most. I lived in S Central Montana the year when a blue tongue outbreak happened and I found probably 15 dead bucks still in velvet, about to shed it, in late august. Around 1987 I think.

28-Sep-19
Any updates?

28-Sep-19
gobble50…EHD is bad but it is not immeasurable and long lasting. Within 2-3 years the herd will be back to normal.

28-Sep-19
Kevin.....you can go to Iowawhitetail.com for specifics. Roughly, over 1,300 reported cases as of September 20th. Warren County (in central/south central Iowa) is the epicenter of the outbreak, accounting for close to half of all cases.

28-Sep-19
Thanks for the info.

30-Sep-19
t-roy: you can go to Iowawhitetail.com for specifics. Roughly, over 1,300 reported cases as of September 20th. Warren County (in central/south central Iowa) is the epicenter of the outbreak, accounting for close to half of all cases.

t-roy (or anyone else), can you give a link to which thread on the Iowawhitetail forum they discuss that? I looked around a little bit and didn't see it. Thank you.

30-Sep-19

Scrappy's Link
Here you go single bevel

30-Sep-19
Thank you Scrappy.

• Sitka Gear