Ambush 13-Aug-19
Russ Koon 13-Aug-19
bowbender77 13-Aug-19
Bea 13-Aug-19
Shrewski 13-Aug-19
13-Aug-19

Bea's embedded Photo
Bea's embedded Photo
gonna show a bit of dangerous game/single bevel newbie - ness ( is that even a word).

So I believe I have a pretty good combo for cape buff. 953 grain (overall arrow weight) momentum grizzlystiks and Alaskan 315 single bev broadheads. Do I have to try to align them with the vanes? Or is a right wing vane with a right bevel bh enough and i can just snug them up and not worry about any particular alignment ? thanks in advance

13-Aug-19
I would say if the combo is impacting perfectly straight at 20-25 yards. That’s all that matters. That all the momentum is driving straight not wasted energy.

13-Aug-19
Is it an optical illusion or are the tips on the broadheads offset from the ferrule centerline? Can you spin test them to check alignment? Thanks and good hunting!

13-Aug-19
Right wing ,right bevel, left wing left bevel is all that matters . Forrest

13-Aug-19
Correct. Right bevel with right helical and left bevel with left helical is what matters for your optimum penetration.

13-Aug-19
I shouldn’t say ALL that matters. Matched helical will out penetrate rh with lh and lh with rh. Match your bevel and twist.

13-Aug-19
Aligning the single bevel broadheads with the cock vane is a fine tuning detail that definitely can't hurt, but if you are not having any flight or point of impact issues, it is likely going to be a cosmetic adjustment.... Keep in mind that single bevel broadheads act as vanes forcing rotation, so right bevels will rotate right, and left will rotate left... As others have mentioned, it is critical that you match the bevel direction with the vane direction.

13-Aug-19
I suppose it’s because (nearly) everybody fletches right helical, but the bevel on that head will want to unscrew from the shaft at impact. I also suppose it won’t matter anyway.

Must be fun and exciting prepping for a hunt like this!

13-Aug-19
Theoretically, matching the direction of rotation seems to make sense.

I suspect the evidence to support that theory would be very difficult to detect.

IMO, it would be similar to waxing your F-350 before starting your cross-country drive to your hunting area in order to save fuel. In theory that should also help, but in practical terms, ....not so's you'd notice.

The frontal area of the beveled portion of the BH in flight will be a fraction of a square inch. The frontal area of the fletching on the other end will be somewhere in the neighborhood of six square inches.

The benefit of the rotation of the arrow in flight will barely be affected by the matching of the addition or subtraction of the relatively miniscule effect provided by the BH bevels.

The primary importance of the bevels on the BH are after impact, at which point they will be travelling through tissue and fluids and will have much greater rotational influence, and the fletching will have none until it too is travelling through the body at which time the BH will have likely already left the other side. Any pre-impact rotation from fletching and beveling should be overcome very quickly after impact.

But, what the heck, it it makes you more confident in the final outcome, it can't hurt to match the direction. Good Luck on the hunt.

13-Aug-19
Right bevel/right wing.

13-Aug-19
ok....thanks all....getting pretty pumped now

13-Aug-19
Ashby did test this. I want to say it was 12% increase in penetration by matching bevel to helical.

BTW, right helical tightens screw on heads, left unscrews them.

• Sitka Gear