trophyhill 13-Aug-19
t-roy 13-Aug-19
Bowboy 13-Aug-19
Ambush 14-Aug-19
HuntingAdict 14-Aug-19
YZF-88 14-Aug-19
Bowfreak 14-Aug-19
13-Aug-19
I’m looking into a new one person tent for staying up in the high country of New Mexico. It’s a two hour or more hike from the TH or about a one hour horse ride every morning. I’d like to save on some time and be up where I need to be at first light. Any recommendations from guys that have one ? Pros & cons ...Thx

13-Aug-19
Tarptent Stratospire 1. Super lightweight, durable, roomy with 2 vestibules. You can also use your trekking poles to set it up.

13-Aug-19
There are a ton. I've had a few. Really like my Nemo partial floor 2p tent. No longer available.

I like the vestibule on this one.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Koda-Tent-1-Person/dp/B07N8DLWLM/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=1+person+tent&qid=1565714058&refinements=p_72%3A1248957011&rnid=1248955011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-5

13-Aug-19
My recommendation is to get a 2 person tent in whatever tent you decide to go with. You will appreciate the extra room you get for the 1 extra pound or less of weight difference. I personally like the Nemo tents. What's your price range?

13-Aug-19
I really like my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2.

13-Aug-19
Agree on 2 person for gear room.

On the BS classifieds there is a Eureka Down Range Solo tent for $85.......put up for sale by Longcruise. Looks nice and vestibules on both sides for gear.

13-Aug-19
lol, for what its worth, i happen to have a new BA Copper spur UL2, i'd probably part with.. let me know if you have any interest...

thanks man

13-Aug-19
Did an REI something or other, 1 man with two vestibules. I could do that again. My experience has been most are pretty similar. I have to have 2 vestibules in a 1 man though.

13-Aug-19
I've been happy with my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. You'll definitely want the room of a 2 person tent, even if you're solo.

13-Aug-19
I have been using a Marmot EOS 1P tent with good results. The tent is freestanding, has side entrance with vestibule, roomy and weather-tight. Plenty of sleeping room, pack and bow stays in vestibule and weighs lees than 3#. I am 6 ft tall and 215# and tried several out. The BA fly creak was too short, (feet & head hit) had a front entrance and was not freestanding.

13-Aug-19

peterk1234's embedded Photo
My most recent home made tarp (for hammock camping). It is 11 feet by 10 feet and stupid light. I made three of them for our most recent four day camping trip.
peterk1234's embedded Photo
My most recent home made tarp (for hammock camping). It is 11 feet by 10 feet and stupid light. I made three of them for our most recent four day camping trip.
As much as I do not like to buy stuff at REI because of their policies regarding guns, I have to admit that the REI Quarter Dome is a rippin deal. I have a two person, older model that is about 3lbs. I think their new ones are around 2lbs. I believe they make a one person. It has to be the lightest tent out there for the money and it is a breeze to set up.

When we camp out west and did not have to deal with mosquitoes like here in Massachusetts, we have also just used tarps. I have since learned to sew and have made a couple of my own. It is a great way to go ultra light. I would sew up a pan to sleep in it though, just in case. Silnylon is inexpensive and a wonderful material. Pete

13-Aug-19
I’m open to a 2 person tent... I just started looking so I’m not sure about the price yet because I’m not sure what they’re all costing yet. I don’t need one you could stay on Mt McKinley all winter with just a tried and true tent.

13-Aug-19
Anyone played with the new Nemo/First lite one person tent? I believe it is basically the old nemo storm 1p. I run treking poles anyway, seems like the First Lite Spike would be perfect for me and seems reasonable in price. Love to hear feedback though.

13-Aug-19
HA, I honestly don't think there is much difference other than the FL patterning on the tent from the Storm 1p to the First Lite tent. I see that one on Camofire from time to time very cheap.

Edit...the FL spike has a floor, the Nemo doesn't.

13-Aug-19
If interested, I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 that's never been used.

13-Aug-19
I had bad luck with the Big Agnes Fly Creek 1. Wind would blow it flat above treeline and the foot section was too low and sloped for size 13 feet on top of a Thermarest pad. Also as a head entry tent it let rain into the living area and did not have an adequate vestibule for the pack, bow and boots.

A MSR Hubba NX one person with a side vestibule solves all these issues for a bit more weight, superior head and foot room, etc. I have a Hubba Hubba NX two person as well and am happy with it....16 ounces heavier than the one person Hubba and works fine for two guys for serious hunting if you don't mind being in close proximity to the other guy...better if it is a she for sure but I usually am not that lucky on a sheep hunt!

13-Aug-19
Yes, Nemo stopped making the Storm 1p with the floor, I like that FL one has the floor. Without the floor it's basically no better than a straight up tarp where and rain and creepy crawlers can get in on you far to easy. I think I like the FL one better than the SG version and it seems lighter than the Kuiu 1P. For the weight of the Kuiu 1P i feel like there are free standing two person models that offer more for very comparable weight.

13-Aug-19
Ha.....reminds me of the year a mouse set up house in my Marmot Helium bag inside my quarter floor nemo 2p tent. At least it didn't chew up the bag but the next year it chewed up all the rope ties I presume to get the salt from my fingers soaked into the cordage. So a floor maybe is good..........

13-Aug-19
HA, look at the Nemo Hornet 2p. Great super lightweight tent with floor and 2 vestibules. That’s what I run, can he had for not much more than the First Lite tent.

13-Aug-19
I've considered the Nemo 1p which is a couple ounces more than the Spike but I'm carrying treking poles either way so I was hoping to get double duty out of them but I may just go for comfort and go the free standing route.

13-Aug-19
Ditto Brotzky. A 2 man is for one man with some gear and room to get dressed, cook etc.

13-Aug-19
Kurt brings up a great point. I've had great luck with the BA Fly Creek tent but it's not recommended above treeline where winds can be severe. Like boots, there is no such thing as one best tent.

13-Aug-19
I love my Hilleberg Soulo. They are bombproof and have a nice vestibule to put your pack, bow and whatever else you want. They aren't cheap but they will hold up in very high winds and any weather.

13-Aug-19
Definitely go with a 2 person.....you can`t even change your mind in a 1 person.

A decent model will do....I look for a full coverage rainfly and then redo the waterproofing and upgrade any stakes, ties etc. Unless you are making a "investment" for a series of hunts....save the $$$$.

13-Aug-19
Love my BA CS UL 2! I'd jump Al over that if he still has it. 2 man tents are really 1 man tents...

13-Aug-19
I don’t have tons of experience backpack hunting, but I have a BA Hubba Hubba 2 man, and I was very happy with it. Like stated above, I’d definitely recommend getting a 2 man over a one man. Kinda like most freeze dried meals say 2 servings. Yeah, right!

13-Aug-19
Get a two man MSR Hubba Bubba NX.

14-Aug-19
I'll only be without a floor if I'm out unexpectedly under a Siltarp. Floors keep wind, water, bugs, spiders, rodents and grizzlies out. And for sure a two man.

How much you spend depends on how far/long you have to pack it. Six pounds is nothing for a mile, but really becomes noticeable if it's on your back for hours and miles everyday for days. And what it has to withstand for weather and wind.

14-Aug-19
I just ordered the FL Spike, gonna give it a try as my fast and light option, hoping its better than a bivy bag and realize its not as good as a free standing tent. I have a BA Copper Spur UL3 when I'm with a hunting partner and can split the weight it's a palace but solo I wanted something that rides easy in the pack, has a floor and can pitch with a trekking pole.

14-Aug-19
I also really like my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2.

14-Aug-19
If you are 6'2" or more your options shrink considerably.

• Sitka Gear