Moreroseanna 15-Aug-19
Bou'bound 17-Aug-19
Treeline 17-Aug-19
Moreroseanna 17-Aug-19
Treeline 17-Aug-19
Moreroseanna 19-Aug-19
t-roy 19-Aug-19
13-Aug-19
I'm officially under two weeks out from my second attempt at Coues deer in Arizona, this hunt is special as I will have the opportunity to hunt with a veteran that thanks to my friends at Heroes Outdoor therapy is as excited as I am to harvest his coues deer. I will spend a week at Coues camp and then am off to follow along and video a bighorn sheep hunt, my hunts this fall will take me on four of my super slam hunts including elk, moose, mule deer, and coues. The terrain variance for 8 weeks of hunting all of these species is different enough I am wondering how to possibly pack to go from one camp to another with no break between. If anyone has any suggestions on gear I may not have thought of I would appreciate it or even any words of wisdom ??

13-Aug-19
Az. for sure bring shorts and tee shirts.Temp. in Phx is 114F. today.Rain gear is a must,Monsoons are still hanging around.Especially down in Southern Az.As for your other hunts where are you hunting and at what elevations?

14-Aug-19
Rose, Need more info to help. Species, state/province and dates for each would be a good start.

Sounds like a great fall! Enjoy the hunts...don’t get so hung up on success that it is a job rather than fun!

What bow an arrow are you using? Outfitted on the non-Coues hunts or DIY?

Good luck! Kurt

15-Aug-19
Good morning guys and thank you for the replies, I am adding shorts to the bag now my elevations will be from 7000 to 12000 feet my Coues is starting the 22nd in Arizona with an outfitter, I have hunted them prior but it was last January so hunting will be a bit different this time. That hunt is 5 days and then I am on a plane to Alberta to join a big horn hunt, this will not be my harvest, I am only joining for mountain experience this is in preparation for a very large hunt next year, this will be two weeks at this camp and then I will start my Alberta Mule deer hunt. I then jump on a plane Sept 15 for New Mexico Elk where I will be for two weeks then back on a plane to do another "apprenticeship guiding" aka tagging along for more experience hunting big horn back in Alberta, after two weeks I am off for Alberta Moose A list of my equipment is: My bow is a bear Kuma 30 my arrows are Element Archery Storm micro shafts and using a flying arrow archery Orion three blade Boots Kenetreks Clothing Sitka Not sure on a pack yet I have all of my first aid gear Base Kamp meals And then Of course all of my optics

15-Aug-19
Sounds like fun!

15-Aug-19
What a year, WOW!!

----Hope you are in good shape....Back-to-back-to-back etc will wear you our if they are physical hunts like sheep and elk! I can lose a pound a day on a backpack hunt, even while eating a fair bit of food...even if some is Mt House every night. Hard to keep hunting hard if you get too worn out. ---Hope your boots fit well and are broken in. ---Get a glassing pad, assuming you will glass in remote locations living out of your pack as you will sit on rocks, wet stuff etc. 3 or 4 sections of a folding Thermarest Z-lite pad weigh an ounce a section and work well for the task. Keep the rest of it to go under an inflatable sleeping pad for protection and extra warmth when backpacking or sleeping in an unheated area after it gets cold. ----Rokslide has a lot of gear lists for area and species specific hunts, and gear comparisons. It is a good place to look. On Bowsite, Kotaman uses Sitka clothes (I don't) so PM him for recommendations, if he isn't out sheep hunting. You will figure it out pretty fast from the guides after a hunt or two, and are smart going along on sheep hunts this year in prep for 2020. ----Have fun!!

15-Aug-19
Kifaru makes good packs my son and I compared it to Stone glacier on a Caribou last August and we been took a liking to it. Great advice from above on your trips as well, that’s quite a full hunting schedule good luck.

15-Aug-19
Sounds like your going to have to ditch the shorts after Az. Then have heavier gear for Canada hunts.Don't forget mosquito netting and bug repellant.Enjoy your journey.Take lots of pics and write often...

15-Aug-19
Again thank you all for the advice, I am training 7 days a week right now on an incline averaging 15 miles a week wearing 50lbs of extra weighted pack and vest so physically I feel good but with the changing environments I am just worried that such a long adventure of 8 weeks straight will leave me feeling unprepared so the advice is much appreciated

17-Aug-19
sounds like a first class dilemma to me

17-Aug-19
It sounds like you are really hitting it hard to get in top shape. That will help you to be able to handle a wider range of temps when you’re in the field.

You’re probably overestimating your hunt elevations a bit. Probably top out on that bighorn/ mule deer hunt around 8K or less and about the same for NM elk. Even so, if you are coming up from sea level, be careful about altitude sickness. The travel will likely slow you down for a day or two after getting off the plane as well.

One thing not mentioned that will help you out a lot is your under layering. Although all your hunts are early and won’t be too cold, still helps to regulate your temps.

Get a set of merino wool long johns bottoms and tops.

Doesn’t have to be Sitka or Kuiu or super high priced stuff. I really like the Firstlite wool stuff but have several other low priced sets that work just fine. Merino wool is amazing stuff - helps regulate your temps, stays warm when wet, and helps control scent.

Silk is also great stuff. It is extremely warm for the weight. Silk does tear pretty easily and does start smelling funky after a few days though. Sportsman’s Guide has long Johns really cheap.

For your trip, I’d have some of each. They pack in small and can really help keep you comfortable.

Not sure what rain gear you have but would want to have something good and packable. Usually not day after day of soaking rain in any of those places but you can get a day of wet every now and then. Gaiters would also be in the pack if it does get wet just to keep water from wicking up your pants and down your boots.

Take several sets of wool socks and change them out if you get them wet from sweating or stepping in a stream. Dry feet are happy feet!

Sounds like an awesome fall! Have fun and take lots of pictures!

17-Aug-19
Again thank you for so much amazing input I have hunted all of these areas before I took my mt. Lion in New Mexico but a different game altogether and Alberta will be new elevations when I hunted the foot hills it was for bear,

This is my second attempt at my Coues but these temperatures for a Pennsylvania girl will be a bit extreme and different tha. My spot and stalk January hunt. The under layer suggestions is great advice right now for rain gear I have sitka, I would have forgotten mosquitoe spray though so thanks for that advice and shorts another thing I wouldn't have thought to grab. I decided to drive so I will load up monday and make the 33 hour drive to AZ and continue my 8 weeks from there I will keep you all updated it should be my best adventure yet

17-Aug-19
Sounds like a ton of fun! Be careful and enjoy the experiences!

19-Aug-19

Moreroseanna's embedded Photo
Moreroseanna's embedded Photo
It's time for me to start my journey and head to Arizona! Thank you everyone for all of your input

19-Aug-19
Best wishes to you on your journey, Rose. Stay safe!

• Sitka Gear