fubar racin 14-Aug-19
PREZ 14-Aug-19
Ambush 14-Aug-19
Zim 14-Aug-19
Ermine 14-Aug-19
wyobullshooter 14-Aug-19
Bou'bound 14-Aug-19
14-Aug-19
It seems years ago many guys would immediately replace stock strings on a new bow with custom. Over time it seems the stock strings have gotten better and yo hear less about guys being compelled to do this upon purchase of the bow.

Do you run stock or custom on a new bow.

14-Aug-19
Stock for 1yr then put customs on.

14-Aug-19
Stock until they need to be replaced

14-Aug-19
I try to buy a new bow over the winter months, and shoot it till mid - summer. What I will do though is put on a new serving. Then I make my own strings.

14-Aug-19
Going into my second season with my RealmX and the stock strings, elk hunting here is usually pretty hard on the strings but I tagged out early last year, the strings are still great, no creep or peep rotation, the stock bowtech strings seem as good as any custom string i've used, I think manufactures have stepped up in the string department!

14-Aug-19
I’ve shot Hoyt factory for 5-6 years, replaced the new after a year, with a new set of factory. And then replace them in a couple years, again with factory. Seem to work great.

14-Aug-19
I shoot them one year if they seem to be staying put. After a year a new set of GAS strings. Mathews strings used to be good, not so much anymore. Hoyt always garbage and Bowtech it depends, some good some bad. My new Traverse strings seem pretty good but I will replace after the season! Shawn

14-Aug-19
No doubt some factory strings are poor and it would really make me mad if I paid over a grand for a bare bow and then had to to replace the strings. I've heard guys say they just got there new bow in, but they haven't shot it yet 'cause their new custom string set isn't in yet. I just wouldn't buy that bow!

That said, I just last week I changed the original Zebra string on my 2012 Mathews Heli'm with a new set of Zebra strings. I've never had peep rotate problems and at least once a year I check and set the bow to factory specs. My bows see a lot of weather extremes so I keep them well lub'ed. I still have the factory Zebra string on a 2007 Mathews Drenalin which I put back on after disappointing rounds with two well known custom strings. I don't really care if I might get another three FPS.

14-Aug-19
On my own Bows I replace them as soon as I'd decide if I am keeping the bow, usually that takes me couple weeks of shooting. But it also depends on the bow brand. Hoyt and Matthew's strings are and have been junk. Elite and their winner choice has been 50/50 of late. New breeds stock strings have been as good as any set I seen, same with the PSE i bought this year. I just worked on a new bow tech who's stock strings are junk, I told him I am not tuning it with that set because your wasting your money, it not going to stay tuned. He orded a set and they will be soild, we had no issues after the tune. So it depends at this point, its case by case. Truthfully is bull shit that you bow a 1000 bow and the strings are junk and wont hold a tune.

14-Aug-19
Prime stocks seem to be good even better when I get a free set every two years!

14-Aug-19
Stock are much better and I shoot them as long as they last.

14-Aug-19
My energy 35 still has original strings and cables I know they should probably be replaced but it’s still in tune no rotation and they still look good. If I keep it I’ll put a new set on this winter probably 60x.

14-Aug-19
I don't even take a shot with stock strings. I pull my bow out of the box and it goes right in the press and new strings go on....I have switched over to GAS strings and cables.

14-Aug-19
Thousand bucks for a bow and you have to throw the strings away!?!

That’s either wilful ignorance or a scam on the part of the manufacturer.

14-Aug-19
Bou, there was a similar thread earlier this year on custom strings and as I recall you poked fun at those of us who opted to go the custom route. Is this a legitimate question or are you just fishing for another opportunity to ridicule?

14-Aug-19
I like to replace as soon as possible. Stock strings seem to be so hit or miss. I hate when strings move and don’t stay put

14-Aug-19
Like others, stock works just fine until it’s time to replace...then it’s JBK.

14-Aug-19
Zim Don't know what you are referring to. I use custom strings on all bows. I don't replace my Hoyt's out of the box though and they don't rotate or stretch. I use 60X when changing after a couple years and they work fine as well. Hope that helps clarify your inquiry.

• Sitka Gear