keepemsharp 16-Aug-19
GF 16-Aug-19
Grasshopper 18-Aug-19
Red Sparky 19-Aug-19
Bou'bound 21-Aug-19
Scar Finga 21-Aug-19
14-Aug-19
Just read this in FB

This is a hard thing to post, since I haven’t fully comprehended that it happened yet. Last night, while sleeping in our tent in Banff National Park, we were attacked by a Wolf.

It was like something out of a horror movie. Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys, and fought the Wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and hands. We were screaming for help as he was fighting it and trying to save us, for what felt like an eternity (but I think was anywhere from 1-3 minutes). I laid my body on top of the kids and Matt pinned the Wolf to the ground and held open its jaw with his hands, and the Wolf started to drag Matt away, while I was pulling on his legs trying to get him back. I cannot and don’t think I’ll ever be able to properly describe the terror.

A guardian angel from the tent site next to us, who we later found out was named Russ, heard our screams and came over to our site and kicked the Wolf and it finally let go of Matt. They had to continue to throw huge rocks at the Wolf while we ran as fast as we could to Russ’ mini van to safety. It continued to follow Matt.

The rest of the night is a blur of EMTs, good Samaritans, waiting for treatment, no phone service and crying. But here we are in Banff hospital, where Matt’s puncture wounds, and lacerations on his hands and arms have been treated and he’s ok. We are pretty traumatized but ok. They evacuated the campground and Parks Canada killed the wolf in the early morning today.

It could have been so so much worse, and we are just feeling so thankful that we are all still sitting here as a complete family. Matt is our absolute hero (I mean, way more than he normally was) and we are forever grateful to Russ who came to our aid and likely saved Matt’s life.

I love you Matthew- thank you for being our hero, a complete fucking badass and for fighting with everything in you. ??

Thank you for all the calls, texts and love so far. Flow all your good thoughts toward us in Canada, please! And, do us a favor and go give the people you love most a big kiss and let ‘em know.

14-Aug-19

Southern draw's Link

14-Aug-19
Holy crap! Glad you guys are ok.

14-Aug-19
I cannot imagine what you all went through. Although this was horrible, Thank God it wasn’t worse. Praying for a quick recovery, both physically and emotionally.

14-Aug-19
Damn! I'm not sure what's scarier... The wolf attacking a small family or my reading of DL's post. I thought DL had two small boys and a husband named Matt.

14-Aug-19
Did it have a name? My Spirit Brother Fluffy would never do something like that.....

14-Aug-19
I started a thread on this earlier but I guess it got poofed. Didn't think I was being bad.

The article I attached was describing how the neighbor kicked the wolf on the butt.

14-Aug-19
They should have relocated that one to Boulder, CO.

14-Aug-19
Am I mistaken or is a story that DL is forwarding....by his description it didn`t happen to him or his family. I could be wrong but the...."I just read this in FAB" leads me to this theory???

14-Aug-19
Hahaha.

Link i take issue with your response. It needs to go to San Francisco along with any rogue grizzlies and Lions.

14-Aug-19
Franklin I believe that part was added after the fact.

14-Aug-19
Wow...was in Banff and Glacier last week...

14-Aug-19
scary stuff glad it was not a grizzly those things are all over there.

14-Aug-19
Big knife > Dead wolf.

14-Aug-19
I read the story on Scrappy’s link. Wonder why it’s gone now? Gutsy actions by both guys!

14-Aug-19
Still believe their numbers need to be reduced!

14-Aug-19
Everyone that ventures outdoors should have a firearm

14-Aug-19
wolf lovers will be screaming because the wolf was killed.

14-Aug-19
Im sure the antis will blame the campers. They value the life of a wild animal much more than that of a human.

14-Aug-19
The wolf must have gone crazy due to global warming....must have been our fault.

14-Aug-19
wolves will have a human buffet in colorado.

14-Aug-19
A nice Bowie knife is with me when in the wild and unable to carry a firearm. I'm glad they made it out alive and as safe as they can be. People need to think of being in the wild, dangerous animals are out there and you just never know, at least a nice club close by would be comforting.

14-Aug-19
elkstabber... LMAO!!

14-Aug-19
I saw an article on that. Sounds like it was an old wolf in poor condition, and nearly did for that guy anyway. God help ye if a young, mean and fit one comes after you!

I’m not afraid of wolves; I just recognize that I’m overmatched in one-on-one unarmed combat with one. A knife, axe, sledge-hammer, pick-axe, tomahawk or canoe paddle sure would have been useful....

14-Aug-19
Glad it wasn't grizz

14-Aug-19

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
Have to put the fear of man in them!!

15-Aug-19
I think it's funny how they always make excuses for animals when they attack humans - protecting it's young, got surprised, and like in this case it was supposedly under weight in poor health. It was a 78 lb wolf, which is right about in the middle of the range for an adult female wolf (51-120 lbs). I'm not anti wolf, grizzly bear, or mountain lion, but why are they always compelled to make excuses for the animal. I'm sure that there are lots of underweight wolves that aren't going around tearing into tents. When a grizzly bear with cubs attacks someone they always assume it was being protective of the cubs. Couldn't it be a mean grizzly, that just happens to have cubs?

15-Aug-19
Ok, the other thread that was posted that linked a Washington Post article. Did anyone else read it? I about died laughing when the guy who ran to help and kicked the wolf stated, "I immediately regretted kicking it." That was funny

And then he followed up with, "I felt like I had punched someone way out of my weight class."

15-Aug-19
Poor wolf guess the guy thought he hurt its feelings lol.

15-Aug-19
Bake I started the other thread with the link attached. I guess the link was to graphic for bowsite. You could say the guy got the first good kick into the low hanging fruit.

15-Aug-19
I get tired of the folks who get attacked by a wild animal and then say "well, I was in thier home". Giving the animal a pass, well if I burglar comes into my home and I shoot them I get no pass. All for giving animals respect and kindness in treatment but that all stops when they decide to attack, sorry.

15-Aug-19
I also read the Washington Post article linked in Scrappy's mysteriously disappearing thread. It was pretty funny the comments the guy who kicked the wolf made. I'm thinking if I hear someone screaming in the middle of the night , when I go to help I'm bringing some type of weapon!

15-Aug-19
I got the impression that the guy regretted kicking the wolf in the same way that the Japanese regretted bombing Pearl Harbor…

“ Ummm, OK… I really pissed him off. Now what??“

15-Aug-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
About like kicking a wolf in the butt.

15-Aug-19
That’s either photoshop or the biggest freakin’ baboon ever seen. May as well be Sasquatch!

16-Aug-19
Is that Cecil?

16-Aug-19

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo

16-Aug-19

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Grasshopper's embedded Photo
If you are on facebook, share her post to your timeline.

Right now pro-wolfers are gathering signatures to put a a wold introduction on our ballot. Every voting mother in Colorado needs to read this ladies facebook account. It could single handedly defeat this insane ballot measure.

Last night her post had been shared 33,000 times - we need it to be read by 3 million Colorado voters.

16-Aug-19
You won’t scare people who are never going out in the woods in the first place.

What I’d REALLY like to see is a (STATE) constitutional amendment prohibiting the practice of making Law by popular vote.

Funny how additional taxes on the Rich somehow never seem to be decided that way....

16-Aug-19
I've seen one wolf in Banff NP. It was trotting thru a campground, as a matter of fact. So far that is my first and only wolf siting in the wild, as I've not spent much time in wolf country prior to moving to Alberta last year.

This must have been a terrible affair for this family, and I'm glad everyone made it through relatively okay. Definitely have large predators in mind, when spending time outdoors in this part of the world.

But seeing as how this is the first wolf attack ever recorded in a Canadian NP I don't think I'll quit spending time in Banff. I'll be there next week, in fact. Hopefully nothing eat me.

16-Aug-19
Just take a wrist-rocket and a pocket full of glass or steel slingshot ammo.

Don’t ask me how I know....

16-Aug-19
Gf lol the power of the wrist rocket. Fu. Way to hunt squirrels.

16-Aug-19
If this had been in the US he might have had a handgun?

16-Aug-19
LB - there was a mutt named Archie that led a pack in my neighborhood. After the pack shredded our cat, my brothers and I developed some pretty magnificent throwing arms ripping rocks at that SOB, but we punished him a lot harder with the pocket-rockets. Had the hardest time buying ammo at Gart’s without our mom catching on!

18-Aug-19
"You won’t scare people who are never going out in the woods in the first place."

I am not trying to scare people out of the woods GF. I would like mothers who VOTE to see it, think of their children, and then VOTE NO on intiative 107 here is Colorado which would force the state to introduce them. I could give a crap about their behavior in the woods, if they vote yes our moose herd in deep doo doo

19-Aug-19
“A person in wolf country has a greater chance of being killed by a dog, lightning, a bee sting or a car collision with a deer than being injured by a wolf,” the center wrote.

The same goes for being involved in a mass shooting incident but they still want to ban AR style rifles. Wolves = good keep; AR's = bad get rid of. Never mind the fact that the chances of being involved in either incident are extremely low. Hypocritical bunny huggers.

21-Aug-19
9 year old girl was pulled oof her bike in Michigan a couple days ago and killed by a pack of three. One was shot by a bystander but it was too late for the little Girl.

Oh not wolves. These were pit bulls

21-Aug-19
HMMM Big Gun, Dead Wolf! I Won't travel nor stay were I can't have a side arm or shotgun, our at least access to one once I get there! Train to fight and fight to train! That's probably why I don't leave AZ very much!

• Sitka Gear