APauls 22-Aug-19
Kevin Dill 22-Aug-19
Nick Muche 22-Aug-19
Hessticles 22-Aug-19
wildwilderness 23-Aug-19
carcus 23-Aug-19
Whip 23-Aug-19
14-Aug-19
Three weeks and some loose change. Almost time to go for it.

Last season was pretty frustrating in terms of seeing many moose. My partner Steve and I deduced the problem was likely an (over)abundance of grizzlies in our area. Seeing four different bears the first hunting day was a pretty telling clue. Cow moose are totally bear-averse and subsequently we saw very few cows for 12 straight days. During the rut...no cows = no bulls. Oh, we did see some nice bulls but not with the consistency I'm accustomed to in this basically unhunted region.

My partner from last year decided not to return for 2019. Heck of a great guy and I surely will miss his presence. I figured to be going solo this fall, as very few guys can pull off a diy moose hunt with only a several month lead time. Luckily for me, one of the very few guys I invited decided to accept the offer. I sort of held my breath as time passed, but things are locked in now and we're both ready to hunt. Well, he's almost ready....as soon as he gets his bow completely finished!

Brian Wessel is the owner and bowyer of Tall Tines Archery. And of course he'll have that bow ready in a few more days. I'm looking forward to seeing his experience and skills at work on this hunt. Brian is definitely no stranger to Alaska, having successfully taken caribou and a grizzly with his bows. But this is about moose, and he's been after them a few times without ultimate success. Hopefully that changes in a few more weeks.

I've heard the Fairbanks region weather has turned rainy and quelled many of the summer fires. Soon there'll be velvet shreds hanging in the scrub birch. And I always like to think that somewhere there's a very nice bull laying in his bed and watching the valley. He doesn't know about the plans we have and the future rendezvous that might be coming.

Best of luck to all you moose hunters this year.

14-Aug-19
Rain Rain Rain... All day, Everyday, for the past who knows how long... Lot's to do before moose starts, but I am getting anxious to be back on our little creek and I'm hoping for better weather than we've had and better weather than last falls hunt!

14-Aug-19
Rain or shine I hope we get lucky in a few weeks!!

14-Aug-19

Herdbull's embedded Photo
Kevin, I hope you have a good hunt. Brian joined me on our grand adventure last year where we called 7 or 8 bulls, but the legal ones gave us the slip. As you know, hunting with recurve bows offers their own challenge. Like you, we only accepted taking a bow kill or nothing. The moose are there to test us in the future. I had knee surgery this year, and will watch you guys from the sidelines through your posts. This photo is Brian using the fake moose antler I had made to call in anxious bulls. I am with you guys in spirit. Mike

14-Aug-19

Brian practice draw on a sub-legal bull that came in to our calling.

14-Aug-19

Nice mature bull just before it charged up to challenge us. It luckily passed just out of range and in the tall pucker-brush.

14-Aug-19

Me and Brian, still happy on our last day. Mike

14-Aug-19
This year will be my first attempt. Good luck guys. I can’t wait to read the hunt recaps when I get back. Hopefully I’ll have a story of my own to add.

14-Aug-19

Shiras42's Link
Sorry to hear you won't be up this year Mike. I hope to have a good one down with the longbow in 30 days (give or take). I'd be happy to be right back in this spot.

14-Aug-19
Wish I was moose hunting again this year! Looking forward to following along with you guys that are! Good luck and post plenty of pics.

15-Aug-19
I have elk on the brain right now but hope to see a story and lots of pic from you, Kevin. Best of luck to you guys and all the others headed for a AY moose adventure.

15-Aug-19
Good luck this year. I hunted moose in Alaska once - saw 5 bulls but none were 50 in legal minimum.

I will always remember the scenery, solitude and anticipation of that trip.

I look forward to reading about your hunts and appreciate all of you who post them.

15-Aug-19
All the best up there Kevin. My brother and I will be sitting out on moose this year in exchange for other adventures. I’ve had a few phone conversations with Brian over the years, and he seems like a great guy. You two will be a force to be reckoned with! Pleas continue to share your adventures here, they are much appreciated!

15-Aug-19
Kevin's recaps are always exceptional

22-Aug-19
Kevin, I too look forward to your annual play-by-play. They are awesome and stir great memories. If you ever get stuck and need a last minute sub let me know. Don't necessarily need another moose, but the hunt with you would be fun. I look forward to another hunt with you down the road. Moving to IN in a month and my son is in Columbus at The Ohio State Univ. in dental school, so I'll be just a hop skip and a jump from you. Anytime you get some time, I'd love to have you join me at my cabin and deer property in IN. Talk to you soon my friend. Be safe and have fun!! We ain't as young as we used to be so the number of future trips are limited. :)

22-Aug-19
Weather is cooling off rather well around these parts, starting to feel like fall and much cooler than last year around this time. Hope that trend continues, getting short now!

22-Aug-19
20 days until back on the tundra!!

22-Aug-19
"20 days until back on the tundra!!"

20 days until back in the swamp!! -- Changed it for ya! haha

22-Aug-19
Swamp tundra same thing only different

22-Aug-19
I head north a week from today!

22-Aug-19
Best of luck to all you moose hunters. Mike, best of luck with the knee rehab.

22-Aug-19
It's been really hot and humid here the last 3 weeks. That's about to change as rain and cooler air move in for the weekend. I'm looking way forward to some frosty nights and rut-charged days in the valley....soon. The Eagle flies in 2 weeks.

Terry....so good to hear from you! Nice to know we'll be almost-neighbors after you move. Your son has done well to land at THE Ohio State University....lol. Lots of smiles there during the football season. If you want to talk moose hunt, I'm as close as your phone or keyboard. I found a picture of you when you were younger. Wait....every picture of you was when you were younger. Right?

22-Aug-19
Good luck Kevin. Look forward to your recap and others as well. Managed to convince my dad and his best friend to head into our spot this year and I look forward to him getting into the moose once again.

22-Aug-19
Thanks Adam. I really hope you guys have sore backs this fall.

Here's a pretty good sign that someone's being followed....

This guy is coming in head-on at 8 yards:

I had to whoa him, and he turned broadside at 5 yards.

Nice big target and a sweet eater for sure. You can even see my blue tarp in the distance as we were directly in front of camp.

22-Aug-19
One like that comes into 8 yards of me, he's gonna be leaving with at least an entrance hole! Glad I don't have to worry about Width and Brows!

22-Aug-19
14 days for me! Good luck men!!

23-Aug-19
If you run into too many Grizz again I’ll be glad to go in and shoot one for you ;)

23-Aug-19
27 days away for us, I cant wait! It will be easy passing time chasing elk

23-Aug-19
Adventure at its finest! You're living the dream and I always love the stories that follow, whether a moose dies or not. Good luck this year Kevin.

• Sitka Gear