Trial153 20-Aug-19
7mm08 20-Aug-19
WI Shedhead 20-Aug-19
fubar racin 20-Aug-19
elkstabber 20-Aug-19
SDHNTR(home) 20-Aug-19
Ghost425 20-Aug-19
17-Aug-19
What does the tripod weigh that you guys haul into the back country for above timberline mule deer? I’m starting to collect gear for glassing up high but thinking maybe I made a mistake on my tripod and head. It’s ultra stable and with good enough glass I should be able to see into the future but it weighs 7 pounds! Is that ball park what you guys pack in or am I heavy?

17-Aug-19
7 lbs does that include the scope? If not that is very heavy.

17-Aug-19
Seems real heavy. I'm at about 3lbs with Slik 624 and Benro S2.

17-Aug-19
No that’s tripod and head no optic it’s a manffroto fluid head and carbon fiber tripod can’t remember the brand on that. Looked it up online when I bought it it’s a pretty expensive setup but that doesn’t mean a lot when you haul it up the hill.

17-Aug-19
That sounds like a brick! You should be able to shave 1/2 that easy. Spend money to save weight not gain it! Sell That bad boy and save your back and legs!

—Jim

17-Aug-19
I guess it’s a good thing I got it for a steal then lol

19-Aug-19
According to the guys on Rokslide that are really sharp with optics, the most recommended tripod is the Promaster 525 (carbon fiber). Depending on the head that you chose it'll weigh real close to 3lbs. Yes, 7lbs is unnecessary and overkill. There are good sales on the Promaster because the old model is being replaced by a newer model of very similar weight.

19-Aug-19
Quality and stability is important but I wouldn't consider a 7# tripod on a backpack hunt for one second. This year on my POW Sitka hunt I decide to take only one binocular. I carried my 15 x 56 Leicas in a Kuiu harness and kept a tripod and adaptor in my pack. It all worked really well but I went cheap and light on my tripod. I took a $14 walmart version that only weighed 1#. The tripod failed but it was still usable. I should have taken a better quality tripod. You should be able to get by with between 2# and 3#. I would prefer 2# over 3#. Every ounce counts.

19-Aug-19
Get one with a hook or something that you can hang weight from under the center. A simple cloth/webbed bag that you can put rocks in will really help stabilize the rig.

19-Aug-19
Haha mine weighs 7 pounds AND has the hook hahahahaha

19-Aug-19
I have the Slik Sprint Pro with Outdoorsman’s head. Total weight comes in right around 2.5 pounds. Makes for a great setup

20-Aug-19
I have the same as AZ8. Slik sprint pro with outdoorsmans pan head. There are better tripods for sure, but I love my setup.

20-Aug-19
Silk 624, carbon fiber, then 2 pounds. My pan head is micro pan head by outdoorsmen, that less the a pound. So about three pounds total. It's a fairly cheap set up I have about 550-600 into it. These two get the most use from a back packing stand point, as it can handle my 12x els and my 65mm STS. I have couple other tri pods by really right stuff and promaster along with the full size outdoors pan head.

20-Aug-19
Cameraland (via Rokslide) is having a great sale on the Promaster XM 525c... this is the newest model.

20-Aug-19
Outdoorsman pane head and medium tripod. I don’t care what the weight is- rock solid bombproof. Doesn’t shudder in the wind with my. 85mm scope

20-Aug-19
Well this year I’m just going to take the weight penalty and go with what I have after doing more looking my setup is made for video lol, but it was $5 bucks at the flea market so I’m really not out anything. It did have deer hair stuck between the tripod and head when I cleaned it up so someone had the same thoughts as me at some point I guess and probably regretted it enough to sell it to me for 5 bucks.

20-Aug-19
fubar, you can find some really good deals if you go to the Slik USA website and look at their "Refurbished" tripods. I picked up a Slik Lite for $50 or so as a backup/spare tripod. Great deals pop up occasionally.

20-Aug-19
Get yourself a Kestrel system. Problem solved.

https://kestrelglassingsystems.com/

20-Aug-19
Vanguard weighs approximately 2 pounds

• Sitka Gear