t-roy 07-Sep-19
casekiska 07-Sep-19
weekender21 08-Sep-19
Schl44 15-Sep-19
Mark Watkins 16-Sep-19
18-Aug-19

Schl44's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

I have a mix of 4 clovers some rape and some chicory. Its starting to get over run with weeds. There is a really good catch of the clovers under all the weeds. My question is when should i mow this plot if at all. If it should be mowed, how short should i cut it. I am in West Central Wisconsin. Thanks for any advice!!

18-Aug-19
Yikes. In all honesty you l might consider mowing it now. Those weeds will go to seed and you’ll be fighting them for years. You can clip brassicas early and they may recover. Tough call.

18-Aug-19
Do something now to save your clover, otherwise you’ll have nothing IMO. I’m not an expert, but I learned early and painfully that you have to stay on top of weeds and grasses in clover. Nuke them when they are young and mow every time the clover goes to seed. I personally would not plant anything with clover that grew over 8”/10” high, because that’s where I mow clover at.

18-Aug-19
I agree clip it if you had rain or are going to get some. That thing will be a nightmare if those weeds all go to seed. You still have a window to broadcast more brassicas into it. Things like Radish grow extremely fast. We are starting to enter the weather pattern that really favors clover. You will only help your clover if you set back those weeds.

You can also broadcast Winter wheat in that to use some of that N that those weeds are loving. I see an early application of Imox in your future next Spring.

18-Aug-19
How young are the clover? You can spray Clethodim to kill the grasses. Butyrac 200 will kill ALL broadleaf plants. This means any Chicory, rape, etc... will be gone. I would mow if you can. This will knock down the weeds a bit. Hopefully the first hard frost will nuke most of the weeds. Spray for the grasses asap. You can fill in any open spaces after you spray/mow with winter rye. It grows fast and will offer forage through the winter. Good luck

19-Aug-19
Down here in the south with the extreme heat and humidity it is almost impossible to keep clover super clean like you guys up north do. I have had some fields get really weedy and the clover normally survives for me. I would spray it at this point. I don't like to mow when it is that high and have all that thatch on the ground rotting and going through a heat. It seams like where it is really thick it will really burn the clover. If you spray it seems to kind of melt the grasses and weeds over a period of time and you won't have patches where the heavy thatch kills the clover.

19-Aug-19
Down here in the south with the extreme heat and humidity it is almost impossible to keep clover super clean like you guys up north do. I have had some fields get really weedy and the clover normally survives for me. I would spray it at this point. I don't like to mow when it is that high and have all that thatch on the ground rotting and going through a heat. It seams like where it is really thick it will really burn the clover. If you spray it seems to kind of melt the grasses and weeds over a period of time and you won't have patches where the heavy thatch kills the clover.

19-Aug-19
Think I would spray it with something that won't harm broad leaf plants & see what happens.

19-Aug-19
Mow it that’s your best shot good luck Lewis

19-Aug-19
I’m with Lewis. Now it, then spray chlethodim and butyrac in 10 days.

20-Aug-19
I’d say mow it up high, if possible, then hit it with Clethodim in a week or so. It makes no sense to spray it with Butyrac now. Mowing will knock back the broadleaf weeds (all I see is some ragweed) enough that they shouldn’t be much of an issue this fall. Your rape seems to be doing fine, so no reason to kill it, or your chicory. You can hit it with Butyrac next spring to control your broadleaves, but it will kill your chicory as well.

21-Aug-19
I'm in Monroe County, not too far away is my guess? Here is what I would do, and what I have done in the past. Mow it, you are not too late at all. I wouldn't spray anything now or even later this fall. You can assess your weed issues a month after you mow and prepare for control of them, spraying if needed, next spring. Check again in the spring to see what sprays are needed. We have had a ton of rain this year so moisture isn't an issue unless you are on sandy soils. How high to cut? I have cut my for years at 5 inches. It's the height of my DR walk behind mower. Heck, it could be lower, not sure. Anyway, I have never had any issues with thatch left behind, never. After cutting, right before a rain, I would hit it with some fertilizer. A lot of good advice above in other threads too, this is what works for me. BC

21-Aug-19
Spray it with IMOX. Keystone pest solutions. A little pricey but will handle grass and broadleaf safely.

22-Aug-19
Plot was mowed 3 days ago before it rained. Mowed it at around 5 inches. Clover looks pretty good. Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

22-Aug-19
When you mowed, did it clip your brassicas back very far? Curious to know if mowing them back a bit affects them much. Keep us posted, Sch144!

22-Aug-19
Will do!

04-Sep-19
Any updates on your plot, Lee?

06-Sep-19
Mowing the Rape will pretty much end its growth their but the clovers and Chicory will be fine. Let us know please

07-Sep-19
Am out west Elk hunting. When i get back I'll updat.

07-Sep-19
Where are your priorities, Lee!

Good luck ;-)

07-Sep-19
I"m in western Sauk Co., WI (not far from you) and my clover plot looks almost identical to yours. I mow mine (cut at 5") 3 - 4 times each year with the last being Labor Day weekend. The deer love it most of the summer and into the fall.

08-Sep-19
Those weeds are too mature for IMOX. Recommended on weeds and grasses 4-6" tall. I'd mow it short then hit it with IMOX next spring or early summer when those broadleaf weeds are just getting started.

15-Sep-19

Just went up and checked my clover plot. Looks pretty good now. Just some scattered Fox Tail?

16-Sep-19
Nicely done...it is looking great!

As has been mentioned, hit it with IMOX early (early May) before the broadleaves and the grasses (if you have many) are still young and immature.

I used IMOX this year for the first time and my clover has never been this strong!

Mark

• Sitka Gear