spike buck 22-Nov-19
SmokedTrout 03-Dec-19
Scrappy 03-Dec-19
GF 03-Dec-19
SmokedTrout 04-Dec-19
GF 04-Dec-19
Matt 04-Dec-19
19-Aug-19
Three bulls were shot in Mussellshell county Montana and left to rot. All were nice 6x6 bulls. What the heck is wrong with people to just shoot elk and leave to rot? I sure hope they catch them and make them pay restitution. Really pisses me off to hear this. If they can’t pay for them start taking assets away and lock them up.

19-Aug-19
and last Feb, two bull elk, a 7 and a 6 pt, were killed and left to rot in Blane County.

A few year before a very large poaching ring was caught and convicted for poaching many different big game species, over a 100 in number in Montana.

19-Aug-19
Poaching is stealing.Theives go to Prison and pay Restitution!

19-Aug-19
I've seen this on a few forums this morning. Keep sharing it. Someone knows something, scum like this always runs their mouth. A truly sick individual that can just kill for no reason.

19-Aug-19
Well, does anyone know where Big Bill & Chris bracket were? lol just kidding. Whoever did this should be sent to jail for a good spell. Whenever I hear about this type of criminality I always think it's some animal rights person trying to make hunters look bad. You figure a poacher(s) would want to take the head.

19-Aug-19
Last season I found four bucks tossed in a ditch . Three had racks cut off but no meat taken and one was a spike that was thrown away whole. Made me feel kinda sick at my stomach. It’s so very hard to catch these jokers.

20-Aug-19
Ya know— The Judge Roy Bean woulda passed judgement on the individuals to serve time with the bear... or hung. I’ve got no problem with either one.

21-Aug-19
I can almost guarantee they came off the reservation. The poachers, not the elk. It is a common problem around these parts. With the new Supreme court ruling in Wyoming it won't be surprising to see it even more common place.

21-Aug-19
I have by far met the most poachers while hunting elk....that's for sure. I one time saw the same guy getting arrested in two different units 6 years apart and separated by 200 miles.

21-Aug-19
^ Why do you think that is? (honest question)

21-Aug-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
They found a fourth one.

21-Aug-19
What the hell? Why? Man that’s a sad sight.

21-Aug-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
One of reason this is happening is Montana is not prosecuting these crimes as they should. My attached pic is from another forum, the poacher in the pic called the cops on the guy that posted it in the other forum. The cops actually called the guy trying to tell him to stop posting about the poacher. So I just had to steal it and share. For those that use other forms of social media feel free to share the pic. Let's help make this poacher famous.

22-Aug-19
“The cops actually called the guy trying to tell him to stop posting about the poacher. ”

You think just MAYBE they would like to be able to quietly put together a case against that guy so they can make it stick, instead of giving him a heads-up that he should cover his tracks and dispose of the evidence?

You can Shame him publicly AFTER the conviction, IMO, if you feel a need. I don’t care to see an honest guy get kicked, especially when he’s down. A guy who tries to build some kind of reputation 100% deserves to lose it if he lies, cheats, steals or slanders his competition to build it. But if he can point to a Not Guilty verdict, then he has a pretty solid counter to any claims against him.

So JMO, those cops were simply asking to be helped instead of PREVENTED from doing their job.

22-Aug-19
I've had deer and turkeys poached off my property in the past. I think I felt more violated than if they had robbed my house. Scum of the earth.

Matt

22-Aug-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
GF sorry I wasn't clear in my post earlier. He is a convicted poacher.

In all, he received approximately $2500 in fines and a 24 month suspension of his licenses and all jail time suspended from charges of criminal mischief and unlawful possession. A slap on the wrist in my opinion. Is that really all a bull like this is worth?

22-Aug-19

Scrappy's Link
Here's a link to the other forum where I got my info.

23-Aug-19
Damn! I believe the CO "Trophy" laws wold have made life a helluvalot harder on him.

And zero loss of license privileges???

Is it just me, or are those fines WAY less than the trespass fees for good private property? Seems to me that this judge just invited every scumbag with a little ambition to help himself....

Thanks, Scrap - JMO, this guy is now fully qualified for 3 weeks in the stocks and a good public flogging!

19-Nov-19

SmokedTrout's Link
Apparently they caught the guy. Charged with 2 felonies and 19 misdemeanors. He had his hunting privileges suspended in 2018 for 4 years.

Only $10000 warrant and he is out. Name is Earl Russell Benes.

I hope he goes to jail.

19-Nov-19
He was already on a suspended hunting license. Sounds like a great dude. I Hope they threw the book at him.

19-Nov-19
What a loser. They should of posted his picture.

19-Nov-19
Dont hold your breath on a hefty sentence. Montana is notorious for slaps on the wrist when it comes to game violations. Hopefully the felony charges will get the judges attention.

19-Nov-19
And I’m taking him off o’ my Christmas Card list!!

19-Nov-19
He looks exactly like I would've guessed.

19-Nov-19
Big Bill and Chris Bracket were on a Posted Land Trespass hunt with Spook Spann at the time. No way they had a chance to poach 3 elk in Montana. They are busy with whitetails right now.

19-Nov-19
He has a prior. He’ll get hit harder because of that unless the prosecution has a weak case.

19-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
Must be something in the water.....

"OTSEGO COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers are asking Gaylord residents for any information about a bull elk that was poached in the Pigeon River State Forest over the weekend.

Officers said concerned citizens found the carcass of a large, 13-point bull elk on Monday and contacted local conservation officers.

"We are currently following up on leads,” Lt. Jim Gorno said. “We hope that the public can help us with this investigation, as they have always been helpful in the past. This is flat out poaching. A majestic elk was killed for no reason and left to rot.”

Anyone with information regarding this poaching incident can contact the DNR Customer Service Center in Gaylord at 989-732-3541 or call or text the 24-hour Report All Poaching hotline at 800-292-7800. Information can be left anonymously and according to the DNR, monetary rewards are available for information that leads to the arrest of violators."

19-Nov-19
“...officers are asking Gaylord residents...” if their high school football team asks to change the name of the town after every away game.

20-Nov-19
LOL @ Idyll!

22-Nov-19
Glad they caught the Bass Turd.

22-Nov-19
Someone thumped another elk up this way.....

" Nov. 22, 2019 Contact: Lt. James Gorno, 989-732-3541 DNR seeks tips on second elk killed within a week Montmorency county elk

Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers in Gaylord are seeking information regarding a bull elk poached this week in Montmorency County, north of Atlanta – the second elk to be illegally killed within days in northern Michigan. Earlier this week, the DNR reported the poaching of another mature elk, in Otsego County.

A deer hunter contacted the DNR’s Report All Poaching (RAP) hotline Tuesday to report that he found a dead elk in Montmorency County.

Local conservation officers located the bull elk near Teets Trail, west of Voyer Lake Road. The elk’s antlers had five points on one side and three on the other. The officers determined that the elk had been killed by a single gunshot and they believe that a hunter mistook the elk for a deer.

“The great news is that the information we received from the public earlier this week about a larger bull elk poached over the weekend helped us identify a suspect within 48 hours,” said Lt. James Gorno. “We strongly encourage people to come forward – either the hunter in this new case, to remedy the situation, or anyone who has information that can help us identify a suspect.”

On Tuesday, the DNR requested tips from the public about a bull elk poached in Pigeon River Country, east of Vanderbilt in Otsego County. Conservation officers, who currently are investigating an active lead on this case, estimate that the elk was shot Saturday or Sunday.

Elk currently are not in season. The next hunt period for certain elk management units will run Dec. 14-22, followed by an additional hunt Jan. 15-19 only if that hunt is needed to help attain population management goals. Learn more at Michigan.gov/Elk.

Anyone with information regarding this poaching incident can contact the DNR Customer Service Center in Gaylord at 989-732-3541 or call or text the 24-hour Report All Poaching hotline at 800-292-7800. Information can be left anonymously; monetary rewards are available for information that leads to the arrest of violators. "

22-Nov-19
About Sept 23, while driving back to camp at ***10:30 at night***. We drove up to a truck with 4 shooters in it. Got out to ask whats up.... they said they were moose hunting, 10:30 at night... There was a woman in the passenger seat with a spot light and the person behind the driver had the rifle. I got a good look and chatted with the bunch. Got lots of info including the license plate and make and model etc of the vehicle.

Next day was getting a cities permit for the wolf we tagged and I mentioned what the 3 of us saw and heard. The game warden wanted no part of investigating them as prosecuting the bunch would have been futile. Warden said they will only investigate if there was a safety concern.

I left with my permit after saying that if you want to pursue I have the plate and vehicle info in my truck.... Never once did they ask for the info.

Other day they had in the newspaper that they were looking for info on 3 dead moose that were found rotting in the bush with only prime parts of the animal taken. Suggesting it was hunters.

I know where how our moose are dying... its not by hunters.

I mentioned yesterday the reluctance the CO had with pursuing the info. Certain peoples are shooting these moose at night because they have no fear of being caught or being prosecuted.

03-Dec-19

SmokedTrout's Link
They've trumped up the charges some. Now it's up to 8 felonies. Max penalty of $278,500 (good luck getting it from him) and 83 years.

I just hope the prosecutor isn't overplaying things. But I wish this prosecutor well!

03-Dec-19
I hope the prosecutor can get the new laws to stick.

03-Dec-19
Hey, Smokie??

“Trumped up charges” means they’re prosecuting someone on a bogus accusation. This guy EARNED whatever he gets.

04-Dec-19
Well then pardon my wording.

To be clear, I want this guy to go to jail for a long time, and I don't want him to ever be able to own a firearm (or bow) for the rest of his life. Toss in taking away his voting rights as well.

By "trumped up" I mean I see a prosecutor shooting for the moon (career move?), and I've seen them do this before and not get any charge right and the perpetrator walks. The Bundys in Malheur comes to mind.

Three dead and wasted elk, trophy class, ought to be enough to remove his right to own a firearm and spend a good bit of time in jail. Especially since he already had his hunting privileges suspended.

04-Dec-19
So you want the maximum penalty and then some, but you think the prosecutor is overdoing it?

Losing a slam-dunk case doesn’t strike me as much of a career move....

04-Dec-19
If the commentary is true, the guys seems like he is defective.

• Sitka Gear