Whocares 23-Aug-20
Roper 23-Aug-20
griz 24-Aug-20
ruffedges 24-Aug-20
Bowfreak 24-Aug-20
Highlife 24-Aug-20
Adventurewriter 24-Aug-20
20-Aug-19
OK, I was introduced to a video in March and man do I wish I had known this years ago. I have several pairs of boots that the laces won't stay tied unless I double knotted them but we all know that is a pain. Well, since watching this video, I have retrained myself to tie my shoes the "right way" and I haven't had a lace get loose on me since and I've walked 3+ miles almost every day. Take 3 minutes to watch, try it for a week and you will be a believer as well. Amazing how such a small and simple change makes such a big difference.

20-Aug-19
There is a video? I guess I will just search YouTube.

20-Aug-19
Link?

20-Aug-19
You forgot something, Darrel.

Matt

20-Aug-19
Feel the energy...tie your laces...

Seriously I know what Darrell is talking about and since I've learned it I'm astonished that the "normal" way to tie laces is even taught. The "special" method is so superior it should be standard. Mine never come untied and never need to double knot.

20-Aug-19

Darrell's Link
sorry try this

20-Aug-19

smarba's Link
Or this

20-Aug-19
on a slightly different but related note....what brand boot laces are you guys runnin'. Factory laces or special aftermarket jobbers.

20-Aug-19
BCY X or Mercury ;o)

20-Aug-19
I get my laces custom made in Italy by a small family lace-maker, 8th generation.

20-Aug-19

Busta'Ribs's Link
Try the "Double-Double"! The guy in this video is annoying, but this is the way I've been tying my boot's, shoes, etc forever. It's not a double knot per say, but just a doubling of the standard tie. Trust me, once you try it, you'll never go back. I can honestly say I've never had my shoe come untied since using this technique. When I coached little league baseball, it's the first thing I ever taught my players. I have 20 year old kids that still come up to me and tell me the only thing they remember me teaching them is to catch a fly ball with two hands, and and how to tie their shoes properly.

20-Aug-19
I learned the correct way as shown in Darrel's video from an ultramarathoner. I've never had a running shoe or hunting boot come loose since.

20-Aug-19
Scoot, they are made from the stretched and cured intestines of a rare Italian mountain goat. Amazing stuff!

20-Aug-19
Synthetic boots laces are like para cord - it you put the laces/para cord into boiling water for several seconds, and then take out, it removes the slipperiness and knots will stay put.

My ex-military co-worker told me that and it works

20-Aug-19
I buy mine pre- tied...kinda like a clip on bow tie.

20-Aug-19
I have made my own shoe/boot laces for years out of paracord. Much cheaper and last far longer. I do boil them for several seconds and have never had a lace untie.

20-Aug-19
We have derailed. I learned this in 1st grade. Haven't had a problem since..

whew

20-Aug-19
I'm right there with ya SD! Grown men actually discussing the tying of boot laces. This country is so deep in trouble..

20-Aug-19
Just have the bunny run around the tree twice and they will not come untied. I've done this for 15 years.

20-Aug-19
All the "bunnies" have been reassigned as emotional support animals, Blue Buck. LOL!

20-Aug-19
I bought the Crispi's Velcro model problem solved. They even have a Velcro pouch so I can have a quarter for the pay phone.

20-Aug-19
Beards and lace tying on the Bowsite. If one of you guys starts a man bun skinny jeans thread I’m outta here.

20-Aug-19
Is this replacing the annual manscaping thread?

20-Aug-19
One good way with out any knot is like this.....lace your boots as normal....then run your tag ends back through the last hole so there are 2 loops sticking out the last 2 holes. Take the tag ends and do a surgeon wrap across the tongue....stick each tag end through the loops and tighten down.

Of course you must shorten your laces as you will have way too much with a normal length lace.

20-Aug-19
Since this seems pretty interesting I will start wearing shoes just to try it.

20-Aug-19
We may be back to kindergarten but like many things in life, if you were taught wrongly, learning the right way opens up new paths! Bottom line is going counter clockwise instead of clockwise makes a stronger knot. Double knots are now a thing of my past and I don't miss them, especially at the end of the day when I'm dog tired and just want my stupid boots off as quick and easy as possible. :)

20-Aug-19
Most of time I get them were I like them. Double knot them. When taking of just slip off the little hooks on boots at top. Then when putting them back on just loop back over the hooks. I never tie or untie my boots. It works well!

20-Aug-19
I cant believe I just watched that video.

20-Aug-19
And you told everybody.

20-Aug-19
Make fun of me I guess, but I have been doing it wrong for a lot of years. I watched my wife tie hers today and she done is correct. Guess I never payed attention to detail. That will be a hard habit to break after 32yrs

20-Aug-19
Cnelk.......wonder if that would improve the flavor of my tag soup.........

20-Aug-19
No, but you will earn a "merit" badge

20-Aug-19
Use a rugby knot. Cross your laces over. Make your loop. Instead of wrapping the straight lace around the first loop once and pulling the second loop through, wrap the straight lace around the first loop twice and pull the second loop through.

Snug it up and you’re ready to go.

And pulling the tag ends will smoothly and easily untie the knot.

Good for rugby boots, hiking boots..:

20-Aug-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
You guys are sh++++ng me. If a square knot won’t hold, it’s a Granny!

Of course, a good knot repertoire DOES come in hang sometimes...

20-Aug-19
Dunno, I've never thought tying a double knot is a "pain" . If you think it is maybe you should switch to Birkenstocks...

21-Aug-19
What camo pattern for laces? CO, 8500-11000', September, hunting uphill from camp in the mornings, sidehill during the day and downhill in the evening.

Hopefully something that doesnt clash with my noisey blue gaiters I still have from the 80's.

21-Aug-19
Never I've seen it before, been trying my shoe laces counter clock wise for over 65 years. I guess I was taught the right way. Lol

21-Aug-19
Good thing to know I reckon.

21-Aug-19
Good to see that the big issues are being solved on Bowsite!!

21-Aug-19
Came here for the comments, was not disappointed. Strong work team!

21-Aug-19
Double knot with a piece of duct tape across.

21-Aug-19
Well, I just changed the way I tie my boots! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Aug-19
Come on elk season!!!!!!

21-Aug-19
Glad to see at least ElkNut is smart enough to learn something new. :) It may be a small thing, but I have found it very helpful.

21-Aug-19
Brotsky for the win... again. Lol

21-Aug-19
As an old hockey player as I posted in another thread about boot laces. Wax your laces. They will last longer and not come loose or untie.

When playing hockey we always waxed the laces to keep them tight and tied.

21-Aug-19

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo

22-Aug-19
Fairy wing shoes?

22-Aug-19
I tried the new method yesterday and spent the whole day re-tying my shoes.

22-Aug-19
I'm 67 years old, so I figure I've been tying my shoes for 63 years or so. I read this thread last night and tried it with my work boots today. Normally I tie my boots with a double bow knot, and if I only have to retie them 2 or 3 times in the course of a work day that's a good day. So I figured I'd give this method the acid test so I only did a single bow knot.

It wasn't until I got home tonight and started removing my work boots that I realized that I DIDN'T HAVE TO RETIE MY BOOTS EVEN ONE TIME!!!!

In all the years I've been on Bowsite and of all the things I've learned here this one is without question THE best!!!

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! THANK YOU!!!!

22-Aug-20
Back to the top! Still one of the best things I learned last year. Hard to believe I was doing it wrong for 50 years.

22-Aug-20
What makes me feel really stupid, is that what this basically is, is a bow knot tied like a square knot. And with everything else I tie, I'm a fanatic about tying a proper square knot. Why I didn't figure this out after 63 years is beyond me!

22-Aug-20
I somehow missed this last year. Sure glad it resurfaced! I just added the video to my favorites! Thanks Darrell, great stuff!

22-Aug-20
Well.... at least I’ve only been tying my shoes wrong for About 30 years as opposed to 60+ like some of you old timers. ;^)

23-Aug-20
When I prepare to cycle, I twist the loops and ends tightly and tuck them into the shoe between the tongue and outside portion of the shoe to avoid a shoelace in the chain.

I prefer the suggestion farther down in the comment section of the video, where a simple change in the base crossover knot makes the difference, where the loops are directed to lay.

23-Aug-20
I've been doing it right my whole life, but it's not bomb-proof. I still double knot my hiking boots. The problem is that twigs and rocks can still grab the loops if you don't double-knot.

23-Aug-20
AMAZING what you learn on Bowsite! ;-)

23-Aug-20
Rut Nut,

No kidding! I actually come here sometimes with questions about stuff I would be much better asking on more specific forums. However, I can't think of any question I have asked that someone on here didn't give me a good answer. There are experts in almost every field on here.

23-Aug-20
For boots, I like the method of John MC way above, just tie them once and use the hooks after that.

But for lower shoes or boots without hooks for the upper laces, I tie a square knot. You do need to shorten the length but it works great, no loops to catch brush, just a very compact knot that's pretty much impossible to untie accidentally, but easy to untie when needed by simply tugging one loose end back over the top of the knot to "upset" it. It's also the best knot when using the hooks and only actually untying them rarely.

Works best with round laces or square leather ones, but can be used with flat cloth laces, just sometimes requires more effort to upset the knot.

23-Aug-20
The video after Darrell's link, the girl doing the speed tie, I tried that and it took me rest of evening to get my fingers out. And two more vodkas. Mixing the drinks was the hardest part.

23-Aug-20
I like the duct tape idea.

23-Aug-20
Or hockey tape like on skates. Guess those So Dak guys don't know hockey. Hookey maybe.

23-Aug-20
Mama thought me how to tie my shoes when I was about 5 and it’s still working today. If I had a pair of shoe strings that wouldn’t stay tied how about throwing them out and buying a new pair that will .

24-Aug-20
Paracord with the inside threads removed. Works great, ties tight, and I can't wear a pair out.

24-Aug-20
I always apply whatever waterproofing material that I use on the boots to the laces and they tie securely and stay tied.

24-Aug-20
I know this seems absurd but when my shoes come untied, I just double knot them. Not really that big of a deal but I admit....this is pretty cool.

24-Aug-20
When my shoes come untied I wait for Mommy to retie them for me .

24-Aug-20
for shame...any real man hunt in his bare feet with a stone tipped spear...bunch of techno sissies

• Sitka Gear