Brotsky 22-Aug-19
Griz34 22-Aug-19
JTreeman 22-Aug-19
jdan 22-Aug-19
pointingdogs 22-Aug-19
pointingdogs 22-Aug-19
jsthuntn 26-Aug-19
21-Aug-19
I do a lot of scouting from my truck using a window mount for my spotting scope. I’m trying to find a good pack weight Tripod that has a compatible quick release plate with a window mount. Right now I am using a Vortex Summit SS Tripod and a Summit window mount. They both have ball heads. I would really like to upgrade to a pan head on both but I can’t find a good tripod that has a compatible quick release plate for a window mount.What are you all using in this situation? Any advice?

21-Aug-19
I do what I believe you are asking with an outdoorsman tripod, window mount, and their dovetail quick release base plate. I also use their micro pan head, no ball mount for me. Kinda pricey to get all that at one time, but it will do what you are trying to do I believe.

—Jim

21-Aug-19
Thanks Treeman. Yes that’s what I’m asking. I want to go from a window mount to a tripod without having to change quick change plates. I have drooled over the Outdoorsmans for awhile now but it just isn’t high enough on the priority list to sink that kind of cash into right now for me. Any other suggestions?

22-Aug-19
I have a Gitzo tripod head and tripod with a manfrotto window mount . The head obviously has a release for taking off the spotting scope but there also is a release where the head attaches to the tripod. It's the head release where it attaches to the tripod that you need similar plates to switch from tripod to window mount. It's merely a matter of finding similar plates that work on your tripod plus window mount.....you may need to go to a camera shop or buy the plates with the correct sized bolt holes online. This system works well and is super fast for me. I do a lot of antelope hunting from a truck so it's nice to be able to switch back and forth!

22-Aug-19
That makes sense. So, the quick release is actually between the tripod/window mount and the head. You use the same head on both the tripod and window mount? I haven't ever seen anything like that. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

22-Aug-19
I had this conversation with Vortex a bit ago-make a kit so they both use the same plates. Looking forward to see if they bring this to fruition.

22-Aug-19
I use a Vanguard tripod and window mount. They have an interchangeable dovetail base plate just like you describe. I actually have one plate on my spotter and one on my camera. I can swap spotter and camera from tripod to window mount and vice versa very quickly. I think I purchased both of them on Camofire at various times over the past couple years. Couldn't even tell you what models.

22-Aug-19
I use the exact same system Brotsky uses. I've also bought an extra base on amazon to keep on my bino adapter.

22-Aug-19

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Here is a pic my Outdoosman system. Dovetail foot on bottom of pan head and spotter. Then matching female dovetail in window mount and tripod. Mix and match, add additional foot plates as needed to other optics etc.

—Jim

22-Aug-19
I have the same setup from Outdoorsman, pricey but worth it.

22-Aug-19
Check NIKON. I have one that was made years ago. Reasonably priced. $29 & $49. I like mine. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366231-REG/Nikon_847_Full_Size_Tripod_w.html

22-Aug-19
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/171181-REG/Nikon_7070_Car_Window_Mount.html Sorry I had the tripod twice. Here is the window mount.

26-Aug-19
Thanks for the picture and all the other replies! I guess it's just a matter of finding the right combination. I will keep looking.

• Sitka Gear